Historical refernces?

  • Judy Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2002
      Does anyone know of any historical references to the use of seedballs in
      native agricultuer? In my online reserach thuis far I have come across only
      two vague but fascinating clues. Though I found no specific information on
      techniques or types of seeds used, I have read the Anastazi and/or Hopi
      Indians may have used seedballs to plant food crops in the American
      southwest. Another web page mentioned that Native Americans in the northern
      part of the U.S. used this technique to propagate wild rice--mixing the
      seeds into clay balls, then paddling out in canoes and tossing the balls
      into the water. In this case the clay was used primarily to weight the seeds
      so that they would sink to the bottom of the lake rather than float on top
      of the water. Ingenious!
      I would love to know more if anyone has come up with more detailed info!
      Thanks
      Judy Phillips