Re: [fukuoka_farming] fertility of seeds within seedballs

  • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 17, 2006
      Thanks again for the reply.

      The reason why I am asking if seedballs can be stored year long is, this organisation is trying to get millions of seedballs done through many people much much before the rains even. If for example seedballs got done this month in October, can they scatter it in June when the rains hit Bangalore? Thank you.

      Warm regards
      Radha
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
        Dear Friend,
        Yes no problem and if some seedballs remain canbe stored for next year.
        Raju

        Anuradha Desikan Eswar <eswar.rad@...> wrote: Thanks again for the reply.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
          Hi Radha,

          I don't have an answer, but I think that if you ask Jeff Nugent at
          sari@... he can help. He has extensive knowledge of
          plants, particularly those of a tropical and sub-tropical climate.

          Good luck.

          Douglas Barnes
          http://www.ecoedge.ca
          http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
          <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mr. Raju Titus:
          >
          > What would you say are the seeds which can be made into a seedball
          at least a year before scattering? A great effort was made in making
          and scattering lakhs of seedballs by BCIL-Alt Tech Foundation
          (www.millionseedballs.org). They are now interested in making the
          seedballs much before monsoon and store them. Scattering could happen
          just before the rains. To do this they have to be able to store
          seedballs properly and use viable seeds that can be stored in a
          seedball medium. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot!

          > warm regards
          > Radha

        • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 18, 2006
            Thanks Doug. I have sent a mail to Jeff. Thanks too for featuring the millionseedball site on your blog. World over this has to happen and in greater numbers. As some of us stood on top of hills overseeing the scattering of lakhs of seedballs by children, our pride at our achievement slowly dissolved into humility...the many bags of seedballs got engulfed by just a quarter of a hillside in no time at all. The other sides were begging for seedballs and we could return only next year!...Only then did we realise even millions wont help...maybe we should aim for trillions...The group is very seriously looking into making it a bigger achievement next year. Wish them luck.

            <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

            > Dear Mr. Raju Titus:
            >
            > What would you say are the seeds which can be made into a seedball
            at least a year before scattering? A great effort was made in making
            and scattering lakhs of seedballs by BCIL-Alt Tech Foundation
            (www.millionseedballs.org). They are now interested in making the
            seedballs much before monsoon and store them. Scattering could happen
            just before the rains. To do this they have to be able to store
            seedballs properly and use viable seeds that can be stored in a
            seedball medium. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot!

            > warm regards
            > Radha

          • michiyoshibuya
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
              Hello Radha,

              I thought I could join this discussion for now on the forum;

              I think that more experiments are needed to get the answer, but
              there's a good possibility that seedballs are good as the seed
              storage if the clayballs are made airtight, crack-free made with
              appropriate clay--which we don't know what exactly.

              Didn't someone bring up the topic of scattering the seedballs
              containing tree seeds in the Autumn for the land waiting for snow,
              so that the seeds are cooled down(some trees seeds need to be
              treated that way, I understand) for the right period of time
              and sprout in the spring? How did the experiment go?

              I also wonder if keeping the seeds in the scattered seedballs(in
              nature) will prevent the seeds to go dormant. If this method works,
              it will be a great findings for wild plant&tree and said-to-be
              difficult plants growers.
              Could anyone share thoughts or ideas?

              Last year in Greece, I heard that many of the small seedballs were
              melted because of the heavy rain in the winter time, but the big
              ones--which are disc-shaped and cotton containing remain in shape
              and sprouted beautifully in the spring time.

              I also found the sacks of seedballs forgotten for two or three years
              outside. I opened the sacks and found some all moldy and rotton,
              but others were just sprouting or already growing in and among tiny
              bit of soil they found in the sack.

              I always keep some seedballs in my house for samples--for sudden
              visiters interested in seedballs or taking photographs. When I carry
              them around, I pack them in some luxurious European chocolate box
              with a ribbon(which I saved when I received those chocolates).
              Although I have never done it myself, it might serve as a gift in
              place of the canned plant-kit(is this just a Japanese thing, or can
              this be found anywhere?)

              Anyway, the seedballs maintain good hard shape even after moving
              around in a box for so many days and left alone for many many months.

              It is really important to make the seedballs crack-free(when they
              are completely dried). It is also important that the seedballs are
              completely dry before storing.

              It is sometimes difficult to make crack-free seedballs depending on
              the kind of clay used and kind of seeds used. When the digged clay
              is not sticky enough, I mix with other store-bought ceramic clay.
              You can test and compare the appropriate clay by making the
              clayballs with each sample clay, and
              sink them in separate cups with water, and watch how long the shape
              is maintained in water.

              For the beans and peas, the seeds need to be soaked for the right
              lenghth of time, (we've talked about it before)
              and for the big seeds, like peaches and almonds, I have little
              experience--all the peach seeds in the outside sacks in Greece were
              so modly to the point they could not maintain the shape when I
              touched them. I started to wonder if the shelled seeds need to be
              in the seedballs.

              Maybe I brought up too many thoughts, but I hope I am on the right
              topic.

              Michiyo Shibuya

              ps
              Dear my personal friends on this forum, please write to my private e-
              mail address for private messages since I rarely check this yahoo
              address. Dear friends who I do not know yet, you can always write
              me messages to this yahoo address I will read it some time and
              respond.

              pps
              Radha, see you in two weeks, I will be in Bangalore on 12th and 13th
              Nov, arriving late Saturday night, leaving early Tuesday morning.
              Hope to see you there!

              ppps
              I forgot to report the result of my copper-mine seeding in the
              spring. 2 tons of 7 year-old seeds sprouted beautifully (we can
              know the lifespan of seeds written out in packages or books are not
              always true)and they made nice green carpet in the summer time. We
              did the Autumn seeding, too, and now already looking forward for the
              spring!

              <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

              > Thanks again for the reply.
              >
              > The reason why I am asking if seedballs can be stored year long
              is, this organisation is trying to get millions of seedballs done
              through many people much much before the rains even. If for example
              seedballs got done this month in October, can they scatter it in
              June when the rains hit Bangalore? Thank you.

              > Warm regards
              > Radha

            • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
                Thanks a ton Michiyo! We shall spend time experimenting some more this year within controlled space and go ahead and get many people to participate like we did last Summer, for scattering for the next year too. You have now given me reasons to think up experiments to check if scattering also should be attempted any time of the year. So far we have only attempted scattering just when the monsoon sets in. We shall test all theories.

                We tried to make seedballs out of harvikia pinnata and pongamia and the seedballs swelled so for the latter and sprouted in 2 days for the former. So for the pinnata we have attemtped to make seedballs by not fully removing the hard shell. Pongamia is best just dibbled I guess. Will test some more once again.

                Meet you soon in Bangalore! Have a safe journey!