Re: [fukuoka_farming] red clay

  • Sara Mandal-Joy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
      Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
      state.
      The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
      where/what to search
      for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
      wanting to sow
      the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
      this autumn, and will sow
      the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
      seem to be
      favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
      the seedballs, and that
      is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
      Fukuoka says that
      rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
      as opposed to adding
      soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
      effected by weather, not to
      mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
      balls with soil, which I do
      think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
      clay to add to the mix
      with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
      I've found so far, rest
      has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
      find more clay veins as we
      continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
      from digging foundation
      for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara