Re: [fukuoka_farming] Zero-Tillage Agriculture

  • Steven McCollough
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Rajututus,

      Zero tillage is a concept born of commercial farming as apposed to the
      Fukuoka concept of no tilling. Zero tillage allows the commercial farmer
      to put more land into production with less labor. In America, zero
      tillage is used along with extensive herbicides (offsetting weed control
      by tillage) to allow one man/company to financially gain by removing the
      input costs of farming. While this has the advantage of some soil
      erosion control, it ignores the impact of herbicide weed control,
      tractor compaction, and problems due to monoculture techniques, and the
      irresistible temptation to use gene modified crops to make the
      herbicides more effective. If I were a commercial farmer I would
      certainly investigate this option because of the benefits of zero
      tillage, but I would also look at the other commitments involved.

      Not tilling as proposed by Fukuoka is a micro farm concept in
      conjunction with no herbicides, pesticides, etc. Important in this
      regard is removing the tractor from the equation. This is only possible
      by making every man (one in ten?) a farmer of a small plot. In our world
      of 6.5 billion people this is the only plan that will survive the coming
      meltdown of society due to global warming and energy dependence. While
      half measures are useful in the short run, it is not feasible for long
      term sustainable agriculture. As we are currently turning the earth into
      a dry hot dust bowl it will be the responsibility of everyone to find an
      ecology of nature that has not been too badly degraded by current
      practices and begin integrating natural farming methods with as little
      impact on the life sustaining and carbon absorbing properties of that
      ecosystem. While I applaud any change for the better in commercial
      farming, I think it is important to realize the status quo is only good
      for a decade or two more.

      Steven McCollough