Zero-Tillage Agriculture

  • rajutitus lal
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Zero tillage method will be helpful to farmers: expert
      Sirsa, Sept. 26 (UNI): To control the falling yield of wheat, the Central Government has prepared a Rs 2,400 crore scheme involving supply of quality seeds and imparting the latest technology methods to the farmers.
      This scheme which will be implemented in nine wheat growing states of the country would be centred on supplying quality seeds to the farmers and introducing the zero tillage method on a large scale.
      The scheme will be launched from the Rabi season starting November. In the first phase the scheme will be implemented in the selective districts of the nine states.
      Under the scheme the government will provide aid on the new technique called ‘zero tillage’.
      Haryana's well known agriculture scientist, Dr Dalip Mongia said here today that the ‘zero tillage’ machine will be extremely useful in sowing wheat crop. Farmers will be able to sow the wheat crop in lesser time and at lesser expense with this machine, he added.
      He added that the farmers would be able to sow the wheat crop soon after harvesting the kharif crop and would save diesel and irrigation water by using the 'zero tillage' machine. By using this machine the farmer need not irrigate the field which has been cleared of paddy, before plouging it, he explained.
      The zero tillage machine will remove the paddy stubs from the fields and the time needed for preparing the field for the wheat crop will be reduced, Dr Mongia added.
      Since the machine saves both power and fuel this technique will help farmers execute timely sowing over a large area.
      The Central Government has made a provision in this scheme to give financial aid to the farmers on purchase of this machine which costs about Rs 12,000.

    • Steven McCollough
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Rajututus,

        Zero tillage is a concept born of commercial farming as apposed to the
        Fukuoka concept of no tilling. Zero tillage allows the commercial farmer
        to put more land into production with less labor. In America, zero
        tillage is used along with extensive herbicides (offsetting weed control
        by tillage) to allow one man/company to financially gain by removing the
        input costs of farming. While this has the advantage of some soil
        erosion control, it ignores the impact of herbicide weed control,
        tractor compaction, and problems due to monoculture techniques, and the
        irresistible temptation to use gene modified crops to make the
        herbicides more effective. If I were a commercial farmer I would
        certainly investigate this option because of the benefits of zero
        tillage, but I would also look at the other commitments involved.

        Not tilling as proposed by Fukuoka is a micro farm concept in
        conjunction with no herbicides, pesticides, etc. Important in this
        regard is removing the tractor from the equation. This is only possible
        by making every man (one in ten?) a farmer of a small plot. In our world
        of 6.5 billion people this is the only plan that will survive the coming
        meltdown of society due to global warming and energy dependence. While
        half measures are useful in the short run, it is not feasible for long
        term sustainable agriculture. As we are currently turning the earth into
        a dry hot dust bowl it will be the responsibility of everyone to find an
        ecology of nature that has not been too badly degraded by current
        practices and begin integrating natural farming methods with as little
        impact on the life sustaining and carbon absorbing properties of that
        ecosystem. While I applaud any change for the better in commercial
        farming, I think it is important to realize the status quo is only good
        for a decade or two more.

        Steven McCollough