Re: [fukuoka_farming] red clay

  • buttahfly@xprs.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      > Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
      > land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
      > and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
      > sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
      > month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
      > that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
      > throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
      > next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
      > degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
      > achieve this, to make the rice seed
      > safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
      > powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
      > spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
      >
      > I got some from a ceramic supply in Richmond Ca USA, probably any such
      business has it.

    • Sara Mandal-Joy
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
        Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
        state.
        The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
        where/what to search
        for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
        wanting to sow
        the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
        this autumn, and will sow
        the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
        seem to be
        favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
        the seedballs, and that
        is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
        Fukuoka says that
        rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
        as opposed to adding
        soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
        effected by weather, not to
        mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
        balls with soil, which I do
        think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
        clay to add to the mix
        with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
        I've found so far, rest
        has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
        find more clay veins as we
        continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
        from digging foundation
        for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara