Re: [fukuoka_farming] red clay

  • Al Pasternak
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Sara,

      Second guessing from your email address domain name, you are in or near the State of Kansas.

      Here are two suppliers of red clay in your area:

      http://tinyurl.com/s9ymj

      http://www.flatrockclay.com/rawmat.html

      Redart is the brand name of the clay you want to look for.

      I'm don't think you want to use red clay alone:

      http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/gardening/seedballs.shtml

      Having some dirt to make part your seeds accustomed to the local "diet"
      contained within your clay ecosystem is important too.

      Regards,

      Al

      Al Pasternak

      Biosa[tm] Bokashi Composting
      ++indoor, odour free & more
      http://www.greatday.ca

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        > Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
        > land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
        > and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
        > sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
        > month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
        > that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
        > throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
        > next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
        > degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
        > achieve this, to make the rice seed
        > safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
        > powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
        > spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
        >
        > I got some from a ceramic supply in Richmond Ca USA, probably any such
        business has it.

      • Sara Mandal-Joy
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
          Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
          state.
          The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
          where/what to search
          for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
          wanting to sow
          the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
          this autumn, and will sow
          the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
          seem to be
          favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
          the seedballs, and that
          is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
          Fukuoka says that
          rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
          as opposed to adding
          soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
          effected by weather, not to
          mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
          balls with soil, which I do
          think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
          clay to add to the mix
          with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
          I've found so far, rest
          has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
          find more clay veins as we
          continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
          from digging foundation
          for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara