Re: [fukuoka_farming] red clay

  • lh@larryhaftl
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      Some art supply places carry powdered red clay in bags. Sculptors use it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          > Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
          > land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
          > and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
          > sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
          > month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
          > that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
          > throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
          > next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
          > degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
          > achieve this, to make the rice seed
          > safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
          > powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
          > spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
          >
          > I got some from a ceramic supply in Richmond Ca USA, probably any such
          business has it.

        • Sara Mandal-Joy
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
            Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
            state.
            The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
            where/what to search
            for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
            wanting to sow
            the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
            this autumn, and will sow
            the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
            seem to be
            favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
            the seedballs, and that
            is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
            Fukuoka says that
            rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
            as opposed to adding
            soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
            effected by weather, not to
            mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
            balls with soil, which I do
            think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
            clay to add to the mix
            with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
            I've found so far, rest
            has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
            find more clay veins as we
            continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
            from digging foundation
            for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara