Re: Jim Bones?

  • redlunarmoon
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2006
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor"
      <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

      > I actually found this group while trying to get the Fukuoka article
      > on the Jim Bones seed ball site. That site now seems to be owned by
      > a 9/11 skeptic. Anyone know where the seedball stuff is.

      check the wayback machine:

      http://web.archive.org/web/*/seedballs.com
    • Sara Mandal-Joy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
        Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
        land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
        and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
        sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
        month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
        that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
        throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
        next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
        degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
        achieve this, to make the rice seed
        safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
        powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
        spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
      • lh@larryhaftl
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
          Some art supply places carry powdered red clay in bags. Sculptors use it.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              > Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
              > land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
              > and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
              > sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
              > month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
              > that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
              > throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
              > next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
              > degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
              > achieve this, to make the rice seed
              > safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
              > powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
              > spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
              >
              > I got some from a ceramic supply in Richmond Ca USA, probably any such
              business has it.

            • Sara Mandal-Joy
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
                Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
                state.
                The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
                where/what to search
                for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
                wanting to sow
                the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
                this autumn, and will sow
                the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
                seem to be
                favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
                the seedballs, and that
                is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
                Fukuoka says that
                rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
                as opposed to adding
                soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
                effected by weather, not to
                mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
                balls with soil, which I do
                think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
                clay to add to the mix
                with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
                I've found so far, rest
                has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
                find more clay veins as we
                continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
                from digging foundation
                for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara