Jim Bones?

  • proaconstrictor
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
      I actually found this group while trying to get the Fukuoka article
      on the Jim Bones seed ball site. That site now seems to be owned by
      a 9/11 skeptic. Anyone know where the seedball stuff is.
    • redlunarmoon
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2006
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor"
        <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

        > I actually found this group while trying to get the Fukuoka article
        > on the Jim Bones seed ball site. That site now seems to be owned by
        > a 9/11 skeptic. Anyone know where the seedball stuff is.

        check the wayback machine:

        http://web.archive.org/web/*/seedballs.com
      • Sara Mandal-Joy
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
          Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
          land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
          and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
          sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
          month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
          that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
          throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
          next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
          degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
          achieve this, to make the rice seed
          safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
          powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
          spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
        • lh@larryhaftl
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
            Some art supply places carry powdered red clay in bags. Sculptors use it.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                > Hi, not much time for computer talk these days. We're out on our new
                > land, have a garden plot for next spring set up with layers of cardboard
                > and straw helping soften earth and kill weeds. Have cut back weeds and
                > sown clover clay balls in an area I'm going to plant barley this next
                > month, and rice later. I have a lot of clayish soil on the property
                > that have used in making clay balls up to this point, but if I want to
                > throw out the rice late this fall, early this winter, to start growing
                > next spring, it needs a clay coat that I know won't
                > degrade. Fukuoka suggests using red clay powder alone, no soil, to
                > achieve this, to make the rice seed
                > safe till spring. I'm having trouble finding a source for red clay
                > powder. Any suggestions? If I can't find any I'll just wait till
                > spring to sow the rice. Thanks, Joy
                >
                > I got some from a ceramic supply in Richmond Ca USA, probably any such
                business has it.

              • Sara Mandal-Joy
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
                  Thanks so much Al, yes I'm in Kansas, way down in the SE corner of the
                  state.
                  The suppliers are just what I was looking for. And didn't know
                  where/what to search
                  for. I've got clover growing in the bed, but not far enough that I'm
                  wanting to sow
                  the barley into it, so I've planted the barley in a separate lot for
                  this autumn, and will sow
                  the rice in the spring. May or may not work well here, but conditions
                  seem to be
                  favorable. Hoping it will work. I think you're right in general with
                  the seedballs, and that
                  is how I've been doing things. However, in "Natural Way of Farming"
                  Fukuoka says that
                  rice seedballs can overwinter successfully if coated with pure red clay,
                  as opposed to adding
                  soil, as with soil added the balls tend to break down and then are
                  effected by weather, not to
                  mention birds and such. Seems like for this year I'll be able to use
                  balls with soil, which I do
                  think is a better plan in general. I'm still going to order some red
                  clay to add to the mix
                  with my yellow clay/soil balls, as I've used the heaviest clay veins
                  I've found so far, rest
                  has higher percentage of soil than I'd like to be using. I'm sure I'll
                  find more clay veins as we
                  continue our various projects here on the land - found the first veins
                  from digging foundation
                  for the storm shelter we are putting in. Again, thanks, Sara