Re: Locating seeds

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2006
      At 6:04 PM +0000 8/9/06, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >Posted by: "gavvenn" <mailto:gavvenn@...?Subject=Re:
      >Locating%20seeds> gavvenn@...
      ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/gavvenn> gavvenn

      Wed Aug 9, 2006 6:29 am (PST)

      >Please can anyone help me locate the following seeds:
      >
      >Yellow Pitaya - Selenicereus Megalanthus
      >Cereus Peruvianus (trade name in Israel is Koubo)
      >Monkey Orange - Strychnos Spinosa
      >Prickly Pear
      >
      >Best wishes,
      >Gavin

      Gavin,

      In my area, prickly pear is a dry-coastal species and is spread by
      attaching its leaves/pods to otters' coats as they go ashore to sun
      themselves or rest. When they swim to another rocky shoreline, the
      pods/leaves fall off and with luck, a new colony gets started.

      In recent years, the number of prickly pear colonies plunged when the
      otter populations declined due to predation and loss of habitat and
      food sources.

      Truly,

      Forest