Locating seeds

  • gavvenn
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
      Please can anyone help me locate the following seeds:

      Yellow Pitaya - Selenicereus Megalanthus
      Cereus Peruvianus (trade name in Israel is Koubo)
      Monkey Orange - Strychnos Spinosa
      Prickly Pear

      Also I'm interested to hear about trees with deep tap roots. I've
      read some Acacias can go down hundreds of feet. DOes anyone know wher
      I can get hold of such Acacia seeds please?

      Best wishes,
      Gavin
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2006
        Prickly Pear seeds are hard to come by and also hard to germinate.
        Most Prickly Pear is propegated by cutting off and "ear" and rooting
        that. From seed you would have to wait years before getting
        flower/fruit. The ear method is much more reliable and produces
        results much quicker. Your best method would be to find someone with
        a Prickly Pear or buy one on-line.
        I don't know of anyone reporting a method of seed treatment that has
        been sucessful for this species. If you do want to try it, I would
        suggest getting a ripe fruit and letting it rot in a little bit of
        water, this produces good results with many succulent fruits. Some
        acid or detergent treatment to mimic stomach acid is also a method
        worth trying, but again, I don't know of anyone who has tested these
        Ideas.

        Depending on how dry you are: Oak trees in general are very deep
        rooted. THere is Gambel's Oak (white oak family) in SW United states.
        Also there are several scrub oak species (unknown genus/family) in
        dry scrub above the valleys with Giant Redwood. Atleast the time I
        was up their they seemed fairly prolific despite drought conditions
        and growing out of a rock face.

        I'm not sure about the root structure but Honey Mesquite (a legume)
        is a desert species also here in the US (orginally texas, but spread
        by over grazing)

        Pinyon Pines are also a dry adapted conifers that servive in desert
        climates. THere are two major species in the US and a couple in
        mexico.

        Sand Drop seed is a bunch-grass from the short grass pairie (that
        include yucca and prickly pear) although no improvement has been
        done, several Naitve tribes used the seeds as a staple for porrige.
        It has roots over 20 feet down.

        Of course various Yucca species can be used, they are deep rooted.

        Not my area of experise, but I believe the Oil Palm and Date Palms
        are deep rooted? But they probably need some irrigation?

        I beleive Gloria is from Texas, perhaps she knows where you can get
        Prickly Pear, Mesquite, and yucca??

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "gavvenn" <gavvenn@...>
        wrote:

        > Please can anyone help me locate the following seeds:
        >
        > Yellow Pitaya - Selenicereus Megalanthus
        > Cereus Peruvianus (trade name in Israel is Koubo)
        > Monkey Orange - Strychnos Spinosa
        > Prickly Pear
        >
        > Also I'm interested to hear about trees with deep tap roots. I've
        > read some Acacias can go down hundreds of feet. DOes anyone know
        wher
        > I can get hold of such Acacia seeds please?
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Gavin

      • Forest Shomer
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2006
          At 6:04 PM +0000 8/9/06, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >Posted by: "gavvenn" <mailto:gavvenn@...?Subject=Re:
          >Locating%20seeds> gavvenn@...
          ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/gavvenn> gavvenn

          Wed Aug 9, 2006 6:29 am (PST)

          >Please can anyone help me locate the following seeds:
          >
          >Yellow Pitaya - Selenicereus Megalanthus
          >Cereus Peruvianus (trade name in Israel is Koubo)
          >Monkey Orange - Strychnos Spinosa
          >Prickly Pear
          >
          >Best wishes,
          >Gavin

          Gavin,

          In my area, prickly pear is a dry-coastal species and is spread by
          attaching its leaves/pods to otters' coats as they go ashore to sun
          themselves or rest. When they swim to another rocky shoreline, the
          pods/leaves fall off and with luck, a new colony gets started.

          In recent years, the number of prickly pear colonies plunged when the
          otter populations declined due to predation and loss of habitat and
          food sources.

          Truly,

          Forest