Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 1207

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2006
      Hi Les,

      I haven't observed daikon apparently crossing into other lines.

      For a scientific explanation of plant breeding, see:

      http://www.vonl.com/CHIPS/prinplan.htm
      PRINCIPLES OF PLANT BREEDING
      Second edition
      by Robert W. Allard

      Best,

      Forest

      > Posted by: "les landeck"
      ><mailto:offeringsoftheland@...?Subject=Re: Daikon%20crosses>
      >offeringsoftheland@...
      ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/offeringsoftheland> offeringsoftheland
      >
      >Sun Aug 6, 2006 6:53 pm (PST)
      >
      >Hi Forest,
      >
      >I've been away from this site quite a while. Just popped in and saw your post.
      >
      >i find your information on chromosomes very interesting, i greatly
      >enjoy allowing all the plants that i can to go to seed just to see
      >in the next planting what transpires. But if there is a book on this
      >information that would explain the possibilities in this way it
      >would be most interesting to set the stage with a bit more
      >understanding.
      >
      >It's interesting that wild radish crossed into my Daikon and many
      >others of the mustard family that i grow yet i don't see the pale
      >yet bright green lobes of the Daikon appearing in any resent
      >plantings. Have you seen Daikon cross into other plants?
      >
      >Looking forward to your response,
      >
      >Les
      >

      >Miguel and all,
      >
      >Daikon crosses only with other radishes including
      >wild radish; not with other brassicas, which have
      >a different number of chromosomes. For example,
      >many brassicas including most kales have 18
      >chromosomes. But Russian Kale, and Siberian Kale,
      >have 17 chromosomes. I don't know the number of
      >chromosomes in radish, but the point is, it is a
      >different species, not a Brassica spp. but
      >Raphanus sativa instead. Truly,
      >
      >Forest

    • Gary Klaus
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2006
        While I can't evaluate the merits of Principles of Plant Breeding as I
        haven't read it, the fact that it costs over $100 (maybe $85-90 used)
        places it out of reach for most of us. I have read Breed Your Own
        Vegetable Varieties
        <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/102-9118829-4810526?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=principles+of+plant+breeding&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go>
        by Carol Deppe, and I recommend it highly. It explains the parts of
        genetics that are important to plant breeding and goes into detail on
        how to do it. She has an engaging and personable style and mixes her
        explanations with a lot of interesting stories about plant breeding.

        gary