Daikon crosses

  • les landeck
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hi Forest,

      I've been away from this site quite a while. Just popped in and saw your post.

      i find your information on chromosomes very interesting, i greatly enjoy allowing all the plants that i can to go to seed just to see in the next planting what transpires. But if there is a book on this information that would explain the possibilities in this way it would be most interesting to set the stage with a bit more understanding.

      It's interesting that wild radish crossed into my Daikon and many others of the mustard family that i grow yet i don't see the pale yet bright green lobes of the Daikon appearing in any resent plantings. Have you seen Daikon cross into other plants?

      Looking forward to your response,

      Les

      Miguel and all,

      Daikon crosses only with other radishes including
      wild radish; not with other brassicas, which have
      a different number of chromosomes. For example,
      many brassicas including most kales have 18
      chromosomes. But Russian Kale, and Siberian Kale,
      have 17 chromosomes. I don't know the number of
      chromosomes in radish, but the point is, it is a
      different species, not a Brassica spp. but
      Raphanus sativa instead. Truly,

      Forest