Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 1199

  • David Johnston
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2006
      Hi all,
      I live on Maui, in the State of Hawaii. I also "missed the boat" in getting some land before the prices sky rocketed since 9/11. Even before that it would be difficult, but now it is almost impossible to get land by one's self. Maui County has the fourth highest cost of land in proportion to the medium income in this country. I have thought of various ways (which requires a lot of work) such as starting a Fukuoka Farming style Land Trust, democratically run with caps on resale price of land. Other ways is getting the county to create a new category of zoning, called Ecovillage Zoning (or something similar) that would allow more flexibility in building codes so one can build bamboo domes (Buckminster Fuller inspired) legally for housing, etc.
      I've kind of concluded for now that working on other people's land may be Ok for now. At least I can have the experience of working on the land while I'm alive.
      Other radical ideas such as the inspiration of Vedre Ramachandra Reddy, and Acharya Vinobha Bhave who walked accross India and asked large land owners to donate some of their land for the want to be farmers, poor, homeless, etc (http://www.answers.com/topic/vedre-ramachandra-reddy-bhoodhan http://www.answers.com/topic/vinoba-bhave). Or perhaps creating a farm workers council that could directly negotiate with other groups to collectively purchase land, with the agreement that produce from that land would only go to those groups with an interest and support in purchasing those lands. Sort of like a Community Suported Agriculture (CSA) that has consumers (restaurant worker councils) that put money up first for the growing of the crops, but this would be for a larger scale for farmers to purchase land. I've been reading a lot about Participatory Economics (www.parecon.org) and the Gift Economy (www.gift-economy.com) that inspire me for another world that is possible.
      David Johston

      fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote: Fukuoka Farming Fukuoka Farming
      Messages In This Digest (1 Message)
      1.
      Farm Funding? How to get started? From: tykei2
      View All Topics | Create New Topic
      Message
      1.
      Farm Funding? How to get started? Posted by: "tykei2" tykei2@... tykei2 Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:59 am (PST) Hi all,

      first post here. I have read all of Fukuoka's books and studied tons
      of stuff on the web and in other books. I have also started to move
      into the direction of sustainability and simplicity for my family and
      we love the change. But I have a large problem. I am in an area of the
      country (Oahu Hawaii, USA) that is very expensive. I live in a condo,
      and I have no way of buying land, at least not for a long time. Its
      too expensive here. I could afford to buy on the Big Isle (or in
      another area of the country maybe), but due to a medical condition in
      the family, I cannot leave this island to start a farm there. So I
      have decided I need to make this work here. I really want to farm, I
      grew up on a small premaculture type farm in Kauai before my parents
      moved to Oahu and it was awesome. I want to live more simply and with
      that lifestyle. I also would like to use it as a medium to give back
      to my community in a variety of different ways.

      Being that I want to make this work here, and its expensive to buy the
      land (I can build my own house except electrical and plumbing so thats
      of less concern), are there any ideas out there for funding this
      project? any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

      Also, does everyone on this board have their own land to farm? and if
      not what are your plans on attaining some land to get started?

      thanks!

      -Ty

      Back to top
      Messages in this topic (1)

      Recent Activity

      6
      New Members

      1
      New Photos

      1
      New Polls

      Visit Your Group

      Organic gardening
      Organic gardening pest control
      Organic gardening supply
      Organic vegetable gardening
      Organic seed

      Yahoo! TV
      Staying in tonight?
      Check listings to
      see what is on.

      Y! GeoCities
      Be Interactive
      Create a conver-
      sation with blogs.

      Y! Toolbar
      Get it Free!
      easy 1-click access
      to your groups.

      Need to Reply?

      You are receiving a Daily Digest Change Delivery Settings