Farm Funding? How to get started?

  • tykei2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2006
      Hi all,

      first post here. I have read all of Fukuoka's books and studied tons
      of stuff on the web and in other books. I have also started to move
      into the direction of sustainability and simplicity for my family and
      we love the change. But I have a large problem. I am in an area of the
      country (Oahu Hawaii, USA) that is very expensive. I live in a condo,
      and I have no way of buying land, at least not for a long time. Its
      too expensive here. I could afford to buy on the Big Isle (or in
      another area of the country maybe), but due to a medical condition in
      the family, I cannot leave this island to start a farm there. So I
      have decided I need to make this work here. I really want to farm, I
      grew up on a small premaculture type farm in Kauai before my parents
      moved to Oahu and it was awesome. I want to live more simply and with
      that lifestyle. I also would like to use it as a medium to give back
      to my community in a variety of different ways.

      Being that I want to make this work here, and its expensive to buy the
      land (I can build my own house except electrical and plumbing so thats
      of less concern), are there any ideas out there for funding this
      project? any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!

      Also, does everyone on this board have their own land to farm? and if
      not what are your plans on attaining some land to get started?

      thanks!

      -Ty