Re: Bonfils book

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18 10:22 AM
      Hmm yes as a resourceful web browser, I have previously come across
      the book.
      Yes I do have a 50x20 area I can try this (its at my uncles lake
      property) everyone has tried to make it a garden with strawberries
      and vegetables and failed becasue of massive weed invasions.
      And Yes the pennies saved will go to something idealistic.

      However, there is concern I have
      over finding an appropriate cultivar hear in the states.
      North Dakota winters are not kind. Most winter wheats planted
      conventional style only have moderate hardiness. 20% loss is typical.

      Another question I have is the grid necessary for interplanting the
      next year's crop before the harvest is completed.
      The seems like an issue that needs good planning and design in order
      to facilitate harvisting without damaging next years crop, I"m not
      sure how this works itself out.

      > Thanks Niels (and Richard)
      >
      > Hmmm - in fact I dedicated several years trying this method in the
      1980s. I
      > found the research, and sourced many of the old varieties which I
      have given
      > to dozens of people in the intervening years, and spent my money
      and time
      > getting it published. It's a little discouraging to find the pdf I
      made is
      > now downloadable from some other web site... hey, perhaps some of
      you guys
      > will use the saved pennies and do something idealistic and useful
      with them
      > and I should let it go.
      >
      > What do all you practitioners think?
      >

      > Mark Moodie
      > www.moodie.biz

    • Javier Dávila
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19 12:23 PM
        escuse my english.
        let´me introduce.
        have some time in read your mails in this group and troat to learn about
        fukoka farming.
        do not consider myself as practicioner of fukoka farming only learning.

        i get one land of 8 hectareas, 4 with forest where with the time expect
        intent, practic the fukoka forming, and 4 the what am working in organic
        way without registration.
        in this last divide it in 4 and in one i practice the introduction of
        clover var bersem, the wheather in Nuevo León México is dry and found that
        this clover need some water to live and in some sections that more exposed
        to air and with less fertility die, maybe if i seed them in more humid time
        could survive in that sections that dray. in other section i seed alfalfa
        and put in them some irigation (with this water the clover could survive
        sens no receive water only of the rain). in this conditions the alfalfa
        survive. Could be better if the land was fertil and in one place that not
        have any fertility not survive even with irrigation.

        both places now are better the land and see that if the land is improved in
        this way and with the time could have succes in seed any clover with few
        water now sens i have access to manure i aplly and introduce broom sorgum
        too to impove the land. in this section i use tractor that is not the way
        of fukoka farming. y only troat to share this experiences.

        thanks

        Javier Homero Dávila Alvarez

        At 02:33 a.m. 19/07/2006, you wrote:
        > hello Mark
        >
        > i am sorry to hear that you did'nt benefit for your work in writting
        > this booklet .It is the first time that i put my hand on the precise
        > working of the method after having heard about it for so many years and
        > i will have not read it if i had to pay for it .so i am rather please by
        > this opportunity now question is , am i more advanced that i read it ?
        >
        > being a non grain eater, i din't have much incentive to try ( apart
        > that i am living in a forest) now that i have chickens and more light it
        > gave me the confidence to try it .
        > I am curious of your own experience and trials and of any learning you
        > might had about what can go wrong in the method -----
        >
        > here ( west coast canada in the rain shadow of vancouver island and
        > olypic peninsula) , because the summers are so dry ( at least after july
        > 15th when the soil is really drying out ) i am wondering if earlier
        > sowing might be necessarry .
        > i read about successive sowing later during the summer . is it to
        > complete the holes left by unsuccessful 1rst sowing or to makes the stand
        > denser than 60 cm spacing?
        > jean-claude

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Niels Corfield
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2006
          Sorry Mark,

          Thought you said you tried it one year with Andy at Gaia Uni, chisel
          ploughing and not getting clover to establish, etc.

          Well maybe expand a little on the attempts you made.

          Also, Chris Evans seems to think it would be a successful method, he is
          growing Fukuoka-style grains in Nepal.

          ATB,
          Niels