Bonfils book

  • Mark Moodie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15 2:51 PM
      > Do bear in mind though that the book was not written by a practitioner.
      > But do download it, it is good.
      > Do you have land to try the method?
      >
      > Niels
      >
      > Richard Christian wrote:
      >>
      >> You can download a pdf of Marc Moodie's booklet, 'The Harmonious
      >> Wheatsmith', which describes the Bonfils method in detail, here:

      Thanks Niels (and Richard)

      Hmmm - in fact I dedicated several years trying this method in the 1980s. I
      found the research, and sourced many of the old varieties which I have given
      to dozens of people in the intervening years, and spent my money and time
      getting it published. It's a little discouraging to find the pdf I made is
      now downloadable from some other web site... hey, perhaps some of you guys
      will use the saved pennies and do something idealistic and useful with them
      and I should let it go.

      What do all you practitioners think?

      Mark Moodie
      www.moodie.biz
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18 10:22 AM
        Hmm yes as a resourceful web browser, I have previously come across
        the book.
        Yes I do have a 50x20 area I can try this (its at my uncles lake
        property) everyone has tried to make it a garden with strawberries
        and vegetables and failed becasue of massive weed invasions.
        And Yes the pennies saved will go to something idealistic.

        However, there is concern I have
        over finding an appropriate cultivar hear in the states.
        North Dakota winters are not kind. Most winter wheats planted
        conventional style only have moderate hardiness. 20% loss is typical.

        Another question I have is the grid necessary for interplanting the
        next year's crop before the harvest is completed.
        The seems like an issue that needs good planning and design in order
        to facilitate harvisting without damaging next years crop, I"m not
        sure how this works itself out.

        > Thanks Niels (and Richard)
        >
        > Hmmm - in fact I dedicated several years trying this method in the
        1980s. I
        > found the research, and sourced many of the old varieties which I
        have given
        > to dozens of people in the intervening years, and spent my money
        and time
        > getting it published. It's a little discouraging to find the pdf I
        made is
        > now downloadable from some other web site... hey, perhaps some of
        you guys
        > will use the saved pennies and do something idealistic and useful
        with them
        > and I should let it go.
        >
        > What do all you practitioners think?
        >

        > Mark Moodie
        > www.moodie.biz

      • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19 12:33 AM
          hello Mark

          i am sorry to hear that you did'nt benefit for your work in writting this booklet .It is the first time that i put my hand on the precise working of the method after having heard about it for so many years and i will have not read it if i had to pay for it .so i am rather please by this opportunity now question is , am i more advanced that i read it ?

          being a non grain eater, i din't have much incentive to try ( apart that i am living in a forest) now that i have chickens and more light it gave me the confidence to try it .
          I am curious of your own experience and trials and of any learning you might had about what can go wrong in the method -----

          here ( west coast canada in the rain shadow of vancouver island and olypic peninsula) , because the summers are so dry ( at least after july 15th when the soil is really drying out ) i am wondering if earlier sowing might be necessarry .
          i read about successive sowing later during the summer . is it to complete the holes left by unsuccessful 1rst sowing or to makes the stand denser than 60 cm spacing?
          jean-claude

        • Javier Dávila
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19 12:23 PM
            escuse my english.
            let´me introduce.
            have some time in read your mails in this group and troat to learn about
            fukoka farming.
            do not consider myself as practicioner of fukoka farming only learning.

            i get one land of 8 hectareas, 4 with forest where with the time expect
            intent, practic the fukoka forming, and 4 the what am working in organic
            way without registration.
            in this last divide it in 4 and in one i practice the introduction of
            clover var bersem, the wheather in Nuevo León México is dry and found that
            this clover need some water to live and in some sections that more exposed
            to air and with less fertility die, maybe if i seed them in more humid time
            could survive in that sections that dray. in other section i seed alfalfa
            and put in them some irigation (with this water the clover could survive
            sens no receive water only of the rain). in this conditions the alfalfa
            survive. Could be better if the land was fertil and in one place that not
            have any fertility not survive even with irrigation.

            both places now are better the land and see that if the land is improved in
            this way and with the time could have succes in seed any clover with few
            water now sens i have access to manure i aplly and introduce broom sorgum
            too to impove the land. in this section i use tractor that is not the way
            of fukoka farming. y only troat to share this experiences.

            thanks

            Javier Homero Dávila Alvarez

            At 02:33 a.m. 19/07/2006, you wrote:
            > hello Mark
            >
            > i am sorry to hear that you did'nt benefit for your work in writting
            > this booklet .It is the first time that i put my hand on the precise
            > working of the method after having heard about it for so many years and
            > i will have not read it if i had to pay for it .so i am rather please by
            > this opportunity now question is , am i more advanced that i read it ?
            >
            > being a non grain eater, i din't have much incentive to try ( apart
            > that i am living in a forest) now that i have chickens and more light it
            > gave me the confidence to try it .
            > I am curious of your own experience and trials and of any learning you
            > might had about what can go wrong in the method -----
            >
            > here ( west coast canada in the rain shadow of vancouver island and
            > olypic peninsula) , because the summers are so dry ( at least after july
            > 15th when the soil is really drying out ) i am wondering if earlier
            > sowing might be necessarry .
            > i read about successive sowing later during the summer . is it to
            > complete the holes left by unsuccessful 1rst sowing or to makes the stand
            > denser than 60 cm spacing?
            > jean-claude

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Niels Corfield
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2006
              Sorry Mark,

              Thought you said you tried it one year with Andy at Gaia Uni, chisel
              ploughing and not getting clover to establish, etc.

              Well maybe expand a little on the attempts you made.

              Also, Chris Evans seems to think it would be a successful method, he is
              growing Fukuoka-style grains in Nepal.

              ATB,
              Niels