Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: starting new no-till project in SE Kansas, USA

  • Niels Corfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
      My money is firmly on NOT digging and not having raised beds.
      In fact I think it is important to think outside the beds and paths
      paradigm for structuring a garden.
      Because in fact we are creating ecosystems, in modern Western speak.
      On the smaller-scale we could call these plant-communities, or
      human-plant communities/polycultures.

      Please post again to the list the exact state of the area of land in
      question.
      And, if you will, state clearly your desired outcomes with the change of
      use.

      _Cover crops_ are listed in Natural Way of Farming.
      Sweet clover I would suggest sweet clover, meliltus alba, the biennial.
      Fast growing , biomass, feed. Careful of spoiling when making hay, it
      will contain coumarin.
      Although all green manures are good.
      The more variety the greater chance of stability overall.
      All the clovers, vetches, mustards, buckwheat, alfalfa, beans etc.
      _Trees_: alders, acacias, mesquite.

      _Re vegetation_
      Basically right across the site, from home to fence you basically want
      to introduce as many seeds/plants as possible.
      Spread seedballs all year.
      _Save seed_ from every fruit you buy or eat: apples, pumpkin, tomatoes
      (especially), anything that vines or sprawl will be a great one. etc.
      _Shop bought seed_ for example dried kidney beans. Buy them by the kilo
      and get them out there seedball massive.
      Any other cheap seed sold as food: sunflower etc.

      _Weed Cover_
      Please give detailed info about exisiting vegetation on your land.
      This will give pointers for seed and plant material sources.
      And help guide techniques for "change-of-use".

      _Water Management_
      It is always worth looking at doing a site survey.
      Finding the contours. This will help with site desgin and layout.
      Also do think about swales.

      Sounds great though.
      How about some photos?
      Maybe a Flickr account so we can keep up with the progress?

      All the best,
      Niels

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/65387153@N00/
      http://del.icio.us/entrailer