Fukuoka Farming website update

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2006
      Hello all,

      Life seems to have gotten regular enough to give me time to work on the
      Fukuoka farming website again. Before I start, if there is anything any of
      you think would improve it then please let me know and I will try to
      incorporate that.

      The website is at http://www.fukuokafarmingol.info

      The version at larryhaftl.com/ffo will be completely eliminated shortly to
      direct all traffic to the fukuokafarmingol.info website.

      Hope at least some of you get some benefit from the website.

      Larry Haftl
    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2006
        Thank you, Larry,

        We appreciate all the work that you have done & continue to put into the
        Fukuoka Farming on line information site <http://www.fukuokafarmingol.info>.

        Circle School Cooperative in Richmond, Virginia, USA, continues to hold
        dear Fukuoka's teachings of natural gardening, through a few set-backs & a
        long, drawn-out permit & permission processes with the City Department of
        Parks & Recreation.

        As our official catch-up report, we respectfully submit the following for
        the Fukuoka group archives:

        We are participating in a collective of gardeners working to gain
        permission for community gardens in each city council district, sometimes on
        privately owned land, such as on the grounds of an apartment complex,
        sometimes on public land, such as a park, playground, or right of way.

        Within the community gardens, it is our Circle School Cooperative goal to
        have a side-by-side comparison of Fukuokan gardening along with other
        practices. All gardens in this program are required to be organic, which is
        defined simply as not using toxic petro-chemical fertilizers, pesticides &
        herbicides. Hardly anyone in the group, so far, knows much about the work &
        writing of Masanobu Fukuoka nor Emilia Hazelip, so there is neither support
        nor resistance to including this experiment within the larger context of
        getting more organic gardens going.

        The old saying holds true: Democracy is run by those who show up. In
        this case, being on the committees for the community gardening discussions
        has given us the opportunity to have Fukuokan options considered, such as
        observing the compatibility of plants within a guild under a nearby tree, &
        learning what benefits they provide each other. An alternative to labor
        intensive forms of composting is attractive to most of the participants,
        especially those new to gardening.

        As a collective, the group advocating this City-Wide project believes
        that urban agriculture is an activity that must be experienced by each
        succeeding generation, with models & voices of experience, to help support
        the population through the coming cultural changes from ever-increasing oil
        prices. Not only must gardeners & farmers know how to grow food without
        input of petrochemicals, but we must know which foods grow, & how they grow
        in our locales & microclimates *before* the rising fuel costs for trucking (&
        of processing & of plastic packaging) makes a balanced diet hard to come by,
        except for the ultra-rich (of which there will be plenty) & the
        ultra-observant who know what real food is, where & how it is already growing
        in the cities. We plan to produce programs on foraging & native plant
        identification, as part of the function of the community gardening sites.

        The collective of community gardening groups is fortuitously taking part
        in a program called Richmond Sister Cities, with partners in South Africa,
        New Zealand, Australia, & several of the United States, all arranging visits
        by each Richmond's representatives, featuring tours of each other's public
        gardens. Locally the program is supported by major gardening groups such as
        the Maymont Gardens & Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, educators & PTAs using
        gardens as outdoor classrooms in school yards, as well as representatives of
        low-income housing & Citizens Against Crime, who are looking at the community
        building aspects of gardening. Internationally, the Royal Botanic Garden at
        Kew is the major member.

        It is within this rich mix that we humbly offer the observations from our
        Fukuokan gardens as the project develops.

        Pacing this spring has been frustrating for those of us who would get
        outside & just do it.

        We have just jumped the hurdle of insurance for our nearest community
        garden on private land. It will be an intergenerational garden for elders &
        preschoolers in programs at the community house, & for residents of two
        bordering neighborhoods of differing racial mixes.

        We have not yet surmounted the red tape of the City for a community
        garden in the park next door, where our Fukuokan border produced some food
        before it was mistakenly mowed down by a park maintenance crew. We are very
        pleased to have won two major grants for an urban greenway (the first was
        submitted about the time Larry set sail) that have within the total
        ($475,000), set-aside pockets of funds that can be applied to fence our
        Fukuokan garden border ($8,000) & provide interpretive, educational signage
        (couple $thousand).

        As a public community garden project, we begin with the necessity of
        organizing the university science department to work with a volunteer
        environmental engineer to learn to run the required testing procedures to
        measure the soil contaminants (not to mention the blah-blah-blah soil
        nutrient testing offered by the local farm extension services). We can not
        avoid land that is seriously contaminated from say, generations of junk cars
        leaking fluids, or demolition of houses that had chipping lead paint,
        asbestos siding, & leaking heating-oil tanks. Now, given that most land
        available to this project is either beside the fumes & contaminated dust of a
        highway, or has been used for years as an unauthorized parking lot, or is the
        site of a condemned building that was razed, we expect that a lot of the
        testing will reveal that we are required to bring in uncontaminated soil for
        raised beds over a thick landfill liner, which is not a Fukuokan design, but
        once it is in place we proceed from there.

        We have not at all given up on replacing the border gardens that were
        mostly wiped out along the alley behind our school. We have weathered
        changes of administration within the City & the Parks Department to have an
        increasing likelihood that the results of the Fukuokan trial, whatever they
        may be, could be reported by whatever future media stories we can generate
        about the Richmond Sister Cities project.
        Peace,

        Larry Haftl wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Life seems to have gotten regular enough to give me time to work on the
        > Fukuoka farming website again. Before I start, if there is anything any of
        > you think would improve it then please let me know and I will try to
        > incorporate that.
        >
        > The website is at http://www.fukuokafarmingol.info
        >
        > The version at larryhaftl.com/ffo will be completely eliminated shortly to
        > direct all traffic to the fukuokafarmingol.info website.
        >
        > Hope at least some of you get some benefit from the website.
        >
        > Larry Haftl
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27, 2006
          Wow Napi! I am very impressed with all that you have
          accomplished...and with what you are about to accomplish. I can't
          wait to hear the results of this grand experiment to show the
          differences to the folks in this group there in Virginia between the
          gardening methods.

          Normally in organic gardening it is not advisable to bring in soil to
          an area. Instead it is recommended that one bring in
          compost...finished compost. I thought I would make that my
          contribution. It can set back a garden for a while to bring in
          outside soil. I do realize this is contaminated land you are
          speaking of here. I am assuming you are going to remove some/all of
          it? Or will you use what you bring in to make raised beds that you
          will grow in instead? That way you could use several layers of wet
          newspaper, or wet cardboard serve as a barrier to the contaminated
          soil.

          Gloria, Texas

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Robin, Maya, or Napi"