Re: My crops this spring

  • The Lund family
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2006
      > I also have a new experiment making a burdock fence. Burdock as anyone
      > knows who has it as a pernicious weed, makes a tall sturdy plant in its
      > second year covered with the prickliest, stickiest hitchhiker you can
      > imagine. The deer in my area, the biggest four legged pest in the
      > garden, seem to avoid burdock when ever possible. So I figure to grow
      > it in perimeter rows and weave the stems together. When the sticky
      > seed
      > heads come out I may have created a monster that will be out of
      > control,
      > but then again it already is so what's the worry. Burdock seed, by the
      > way is a medicinal product as is the root.

      My goats would eat your fence down in a heartbeat... they LOVE burdock,
      as do the sheep!!! Perhaps the deer will, too :-).

      > I am also looking at other native and imported possible food products
      > that are already successful in my area.

      I'm taking account of what we have growing here, too (also in the UP).
      We have elderberry, gooseberries, currants, honeysuckle, service
      berries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, thimble
      berries, crab apples, apples and filberts. Of course, lots of the
      berries are small and hard to beat the animals to, but some, like the
      service berries, are quite prolific... I'd like to work on ways of
      getting better crops from some of the existing plants. As for wild
      veggies, we have trout lilies, dandelion, burdock (as you mentioned),
      white campion, mustard, ox-eye daisy greens, lamb's quarters, sorrel,
      lady's thumb, dock, queen anne's lace, chickweed and more. I've
      discovered that sap isn't just for syrup, and drinking sap straight is
      the best spring tonic I've ever had. The fermented sap was good, too.
      Besides the maple trees, we also have yellow birch that provide sap.
      Then there's mushrooms.. I've heard the morels are to be found around
      here, but haven't spotted any myself yet. And medicinal herbs.. St.
      John's Wort and Horsetail. I'm pretty sure I spotted Golden Seal in the
      National Forest. It's a great place to be!!

      Thanks for sharing, Steven.
      Meg