: More information from Steve, please

  • Jeff Schulte
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2006
      Thank you for your imput Steve, and welcome to the group.
      I would like to hear more from you, and your natural gardening stories.

      I mostly sit in an Ivory tower, learning from books and the web,
      slowly gathering information, hoping someday to find the funds
      to go homestead on my own,

      my experiences though tell me about a couple of things not everyone knows

      recently due to an early snow a couple years back, some parsnips and carrots
      got left in the ground,
      I had always heard about people doing this, but doughted the application in
      my area.

      I live in frigid North Dakota (technically zone 4, but practically zone 3
      USDA).. gets down to about minus 30 degrees, frost down about 18 inches
      sometimes more.

      parsnips overwinter wonderfully, and gain sweetness, they will start to lose
      firmness if you don't dig them and they sprout too much though, but up to
      about 4 inches sprout is ok

      carrots get eating by slugs and other bugs, loses over winter are 10-25%,
      the carrots also don't store well once dug in the spring, they rapidly lose
      firmness and often turn to mush.. at least in my area.. presumably if you
      can dig through frozen ground before they break dormancy these problems
      would vanish, but last time I tried this I broke the pick axe I was using.

      Burdock and Jerusalum artichokes get woody and lose flavor if overwintered
      Burdock will become pest.. but if you like eating the roots (gobo) then
      you're good to go anyways

      I'd like to know how cold it gets in your area Steve, that you had this
      stuff overwinter

      I"m having sucess with overwinting herbs (micro zone right next to house ..
      ) zone 5 oregano,thyme, terragon so far

      walking onions, and salad burnet too,.. but I'm still working on finding a
      suitable
      overwinter/perrenial main course....

      Jeff

      ps anyone who hasn't, should look into the work THe Land Institute is doing
      in Kansas
      on perrenial crops (gains and psuedocereals).

    • The Lund family
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2006
        > I also have a new experiment making a burdock fence. Burdock as anyone
        > knows who has it as a pernicious weed, makes a tall sturdy plant in its
        > second year covered with the prickliest, stickiest hitchhiker you can
        > imagine. The deer in my area, the biggest four legged pest in the
        > garden, seem to avoid burdock when ever possible. So I figure to grow
        > it in perimeter rows and weave the stems together. When the sticky
        > seed
        > heads come out I may have created a monster that will be out of
        > control,
        > but then again it already is so what's the worry. Burdock seed, by the
        > way is a medicinal product as is the root.

        My goats would eat your fence down in a heartbeat... they LOVE burdock,
        as do the sheep!!! Perhaps the deer will, too :-).

        > I am also looking at other native and imported possible food products
        > that are already successful in my area.

        I'm taking account of what we have growing here, too (also in the UP).
        We have elderberry, gooseberries, currants, honeysuckle, service
        berries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, thimble
        berries, crab apples, apples and filberts. Of course, lots of the
        berries are small and hard to beat the animals to, but some, like the
        service berries, are quite prolific... I'd like to work on ways of
        getting better crops from some of the existing plants. As for wild
        veggies, we have trout lilies, dandelion, burdock (as you mentioned),
        white campion, mustard, ox-eye daisy greens, lamb's quarters, sorrel,
        lady's thumb, dock, queen anne's lace, chickweed and more. I've
        discovered that sap isn't just for syrup, and drinking sap straight is
        the best spring tonic I've ever had. The fermented sap was good, too.
        Besides the maple trees, we also have yellow birch that provide sap.
        Then there's mushrooms.. I've heard the morels are to be found around
        here, but haven't spotted any myself yet. And medicinal herbs.. St.
        John's Wort and Horsetail. I'm pretty sure I spotted Golden Seal in the
        National Forest. It's a great place to be!!

        Thanks for sharing, Steven.
        Meg