Re: SEED BALLS -- techniques of natural farming

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 29, 2006
      The cardboard has to be wet for this to work. It is not natural
      farming/gardening as I know it. Most of the time when this kind of
      thing is done the cardboard is covered with soil, then mulch...and
      that planted into. Some people just make holes in the cardboard
      where they want to plant a rosebush, for instance, or even just
      tomato plants. There is no need to cover one layer of cardboard with
      another strip, though.

      For that matter one can just use several layers of wet newspaper to
      accomplish the same thing. It also need not be a green manure crop
      beneath it. As the paper breaks down it retards what tries to grow
      beneath it. And....we must be careful not to place nutrients too far
      below where the plants can use them...which is in the top 2 inches of
      soil pretty much because that is where the feeder roots are.

      In Nature plant material, etc, breaks down creating a fertile place
      for seeds to grow even on top of the soil. A plant can grow on rock,
      if it has enough of this material to nourish it. Why cover it all
      with cardboard and then a new mulch? By doing this you are
      interfering. Natural Farming/gardening is about interfering as
      little as possible with Nature...and also learning from it.

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, d pfalzer <d_pfalzer@...>