Re: SEED BALLS

  • michiyoshibuya
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 22, 2006
      Hello friends,

      It seems like there's a lot going on in India, that's so exciting!

      Can anyone share experiences or theories of to what stage the seeds
      be protected by the clay, and if any other ingredients than
      clay, water and seeds are added, I'd be interested in hearing
      different ideas.
      And also creative production methods, if there are stories be shared.

      In Japan, we ( by hand made or concrete mixer) only use clay,
      variety of seeds and water, and the clay coating will be destroyed
      at the germination of the seeds inside. Since our climate is
      relatively mild and the soil is not too bad in most places, there
      have been a report of fair success(as well as the reports of
      failure). (I heard someone wrote a scientific paper on the
      achievement of a seedball project in English. I will let you know
      the detail when it appears on a magazine.)

      In Greece, Panos now uses clay, cotton waste and powdered minerals
      and make the "pellet" flatter and bigger, and that maintain its
      shape, providing protection to the seeds the way after their
      germination. I think it is quite remarkable and will be needed in
      regions with more severe climate.

      But now, I am trying to be more clear about the repeated questions,
      what are the main purpose of coating the seeds with the clay,
      and if the quality of clay play a major role.

      I am really interested in knowing if people from the places Fukuoka
      visited in the past continued seedballing and if they have made
      local adjustment.

      I received a phonecall from Majorka, Spain in January about the
      meeting to discuss the achievement of seedballs in March. Can
      anyone tell me what happend? Was the meeting held?

      Yuko went to Auroville, india two years ago for a month-long
      seedball workshop, and they were trying to make a concrete mixer
      attached to a bicycle but she returned to Japan before its
      completion. Did they successfuly make it after all, and do they
      still do seedball farming in Auroville?

      So, RajuTitus, the seedballing have been continued after the big
      seeding with the Fukuoka's presence and you can observe some success
      in India?

      Michiyo Shibuya
      Japan

      PS

      Our seeding in Ashio went quite well with 13 participants. Thank
      you all for your support.
      I still have the book(recapitulation) and the video for sale but now
      I put it back to the original price and the payment can be done by
      paypal(which accepts credit card as well). Please contact me
      privately if you are interested.

      I also uploaded some photos from greece(except for the one "copper
      mountina ashio" and the "clayballsize"(handmade clayball from
      Japan), they are from Panos's farm and the hills in anthusa village
      where we seeded in Ocotber. (Thank you Ilias and Maya for the
      photographs, I hope you don't mind me showing them to the group.)
      click "clayballs"
      http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/michiyoys
    • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 22, 2006
        Dear Friends,

        With all your encouragement and inputs we from MARGAbandhu are trying to get Altech Foundation get into a project with Navachetana Trust and Foundation for Ecological Security to make at least a million seedballs before the monsoon. All the forces that are pushing this project look positive for now. If this experiment proves successful, the groups will do a lot more in subsequent years and will try to green other parts of India as well. All best wishes are welcome! Thanks! Will get back ato you about how things are progressing with eeach step forward.

        Warm regards
        Radha

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 24, 2006
          dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
          talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
          them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
          seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
          them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
          would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

          thank you,

          robin

        • rajutitus lal
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 24, 2006
            Dear friend,
            I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a great teacher.
            This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in dorment condition.
            Thanks
            Raju

            witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
            talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
            them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
            seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
            them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
            would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

            thank you,

            robin

            Organic gardening Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

          • d pfalzer
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 25, 2006
              Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
              way to natural farming, but I personally found it
              instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
              may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
              another list I am on.

              Subject: Re: No-till gardening

              --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:

              Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
              interesting. From what I understand, instead of
              rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
              sowing a green manure in late summer or
              autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
              directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
              green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
              into it? It'd be good to get this right early
              on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
              soil before we've even started.....
              Many thanks
              Sarah
              Central France
              *********
              Basically, yes.

              I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
              use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
              cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
              of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
              Jon

              --- rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

              > Dear friend,
              > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of
              > farming nature is a great teacher.
              > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break
              > seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of
              > beens we scatter them directly or putting them in
              > holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats
              > and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed
              > balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in
              > winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in
              > dorment condition.
              > Thanks
              > Raju
              >
              > witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear
              > rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and
              > teacher. could you
              > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and
              > peas before putting
              > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and
              > making some of my
              > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water
              > before covering
              > them with clay? or should you plant them directly
              > in little holes? i
              > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
              >
              > thank you,
              >
              > robin

              > removed]

              > Organic gardening
              > Organic gardening pest control
              > Organic gardening supply
              >
              > Organic vegetable gardening
              > Organic seed
              > Masanobu fukuoka

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • witchessocks
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 25, 2006
                yes, sir, that makes logical sense...i thank you for that...if you
                could give advice to a old woman in the usa, who is the only one in
                her household to make the seedballs, and who can only make maybe 100
                seedballs a day... should i throw seeds and/or seedballs out everyday,
                at all times of the year, whatever crops or plants are, or are about
                to be in season---i buy most of my seeds, or people give them to
                me...can i throw them within the short or weak weeds? i don't mind
                wasting a lot of seeds in order to edge out the weeds some, if only
                they will, eventually....i don't know enough about farming, as one
                whose ancestors farmed, but my generation was raised in a consumer
                economy and culture and many things were not passed down to us.

                in appreciation...robin

                In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                > Dear friend,
                > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a
                great teacher.
                > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for
                this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or
                putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and
                birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season
                sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain
                in dorment condition.
                > Thanks
                > Raju

                > Organic
                gardening Organic gardening pest
                control Organic gardening supply

                Organic vegetable gardening
                Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • michiyoshibuya
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                  I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                  for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                  anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                  it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                  Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                  his beans? Was it 40 minutes?

                  It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                  the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                  before being scattered.

                  You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                  you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                  completely dried.

                  I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                  one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                  seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                  ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                  so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                  ball.

                  Michiyo

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                  <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                  > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                  you
                  > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                  putting
                  > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                  > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                  > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                  > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                  >
                  > thank you,
                  >
                  > robin

                • witchessocks
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                    wow! it is really true that the great way has no gate! i will
                    definitely try that!

                    thank you very much...robin

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "michiyoshibuya"
                    <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote:

                    > I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                    > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                    > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                    > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                    > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                    > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                    >
                    > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                    > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                    > before being scattered.
                    >
                    > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                    > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                    > completely dried.
                    >
                    > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                    > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                    > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                    > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                    > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                    > ball.
                    >
                    > Michiyo

                  • witchessocks
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                      dear d pfalzer

                      i like the idea of sowing the cover crop in the fall and then sowing
                      the veggies into it in the spring...i know it's silly, but i couldn't
                      bring myself to smother the cover crop...or use cardboard. i don't
                      know why, i can barely bring myself to abort the invasive tree
                      saplings or cut back the honeysuckle...good thing i'm not picky about
                      what i call a vegetable!=) to me, dandelions are vegetables!

                      but i better get serious, or all i will have to eat is dandelions and
                      honeysuckle nectar! real farmers/gardeners cannot have a major trauma
                      attack every time they have to cut a swath of grass in order to walk
                      to the mailbox! embarrassing!<|:>D

                      blessed bees!

                      robin

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, d pfalzer <d_pfalzer@...> wrote:

                      > Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
                      > way to natural farming, but I personally found it
                      > instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
                      > may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
                      > another list I am on.
                      >
                      > Subject: Re: No-till gardening
                      >
                      > --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:
                      >
                      > Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
                      > interesting. From what I understand, instead of
                      > rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
                      > sowing a green manure in late summer or
                      > autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
                      > directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
                      > green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
                      > into it? It'd be good to get this right early
                      > on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
                      > soil before we've even started.....
                      > Many thanks
                      > Sarah
                      > Central France
                      > *********
                      > Basically, yes.
                      >
                      > I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
                      > use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
                      > cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
                      > of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
                      > Jon
                      >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • rajutitus lal
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                        Dear friends,
                        Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40 degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                        I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls for growing and greening.
                        Thanks
                        Raju

                        michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them

                        <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                        > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                        you
                        > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                        putting
                        > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                        > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                        > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                        > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                        >
                        > thank you,
                        >
                        > robin

                      • karoubas
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 27, 2006
                          Hello everyone and Michiyo
                          Panos says 2 hours or so for soaking beans

                          Just an update - I am having fun with this NF farming thing.
                          The soil in my farm is getting stronger every year and the plants are
                          also getting bigger - am enjoying and learning.

                          Kostas

                          wrote:

                          > Dear friends,
                          > Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common
                          problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and
                          quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40
                          degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion
                          of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                          > I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls
                          for growing and greening.
                          > Thanks
                          > Raju
                          >
                          > michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work
                          well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                          > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                          > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                          > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                          > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                          > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                          >
                          > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                          > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                          > before being scattered.
                          >
                          > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                          > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                          > completely dried.
                          >
                          > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                          > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                          > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                          > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                          > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                          > ball.
                          >
                          > Michiyo
                          >

                          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                          > <witchessocks@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                          > you
                          > > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                          > putting
                          > > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                          > > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                          > > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                          > > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                          > >
                          > > thank you,
                          > >
                          > > robin

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------

                        • Calin A. Radulescu
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 27, 2006
                            found this link the other day:

                            www.seedballs.com/9seedpa.html

                            it may help when lots of seedballs are needed.
                            i wanted to post the plans in the file section but
                            it looks that they are copyrighted.

                            have fun,

                            a.

                          • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 29, 2006
                              The cardboard has to be wet for this to work. It is not natural
                              farming/gardening as I know it. Most of the time when this kind of
                              thing is done the cardboard is covered with soil, then mulch...and
                              that planted into. Some people just make holes in the cardboard
                              where they want to plant a rosebush, for instance, or even just
                              tomato plants. There is no need to cover one layer of cardboard with
                              another strip, though.

                              For that matter one can just use several layers of wet newspaper to
                              accomplish the same thing. It also need not be a green manure crop
                              beneath it. As the paper breaks down it retards what tries to grow
                              beneath it. And....we must be careful not to place nutrients too far
                              below where the plants can use them...which is in the top 2 inches of
                              soil pretty much because that is where the feeder roots are.

                              In Nature plant material, etc, breaks down creating a fertile place
                              for seeds to grow even on top of the soil. A plant can grow on rock,
                              if it has enough of this material to nourish it. Why cover it all
                              with cardboard and then a new mulch? By doing this you are
                              interfering. Natural Farming/gardening is about interfering as
                              little as possible with Nature...and also learning from it.

                              Gloria, Texas