Re: [fukuoka_farming] it was a good day of peace...

  • d pfalzer
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hi there witchessocks,

      I have been here lurking a while, like you waiting for
      it to be an active forum. Maybe it is time to try
      another strategy. :)

      Like you I find Mr. Fukuoka's ideas inspiring. I am
      still in the process of wrapping my mind around some
      of them. But I'm already in love with the idea of
      working with nature to let her take care of you. I
      want this whole world to be pristine again someday; I
      want to do my little piece to making it that way.

      In Central Florida we are heading into the
      too-hot-to-grow-most-things season. Just the
      super-hot loving plants go into the garden now. It is
      a good time to be meditating on what to do to apply
      the ideas here. I am already playing with the ideas a
      bit. But maybe I can form a basic plan by August when
      the season to plant gardens begins again.

      Blessed be

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • witchessocks
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
        <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

        All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and
        care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well
        enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

        > Thanks in advance.
        > Warm regards
        > Radha

        dear friends,

        thanks for the great feedback-- your analyses and impressions are very
        important to me, and, i'm sure, to others on this list.

        radu, i am not a scientist, so i don't know the terms very well if
        at all, but, from an empathizing layperson's point of view, i believe
        that the fukuokian way of farming is comprehensive above all other
        factors...you are not able to take one or two aspects out of it, you
        must view it as a whole... i found this pdf file and i recognized the
        wholistic approach immediately...

        http://www.volunteertaskforce.org/ppwatershed/319_Grant_Reports/White%20Rock%20Seed%20Ball%20Project.pdf----------------------------------------------------------------------------

        i thought it very interesting, especially the "lop and scatter"
        technique that the group used, under direction of jim bones...i can
        vouch for this, because i tried it last year. i believe this will work
        not only on bare ground, but on a lawn grass monoculture...i had some
        weed trees that i had to "lop" but i wanted to use the wood for soil
        improvement. so, i cut or broke the branches down as far as i could by
        hand (or using a small hand cutter) and scattered them around this
        lawn grass monoculture, rather thickly in some areas not so thickly in
        others. i wanted the short sticks to have maximum contact with the
        ground, which i thought, and a year of observation of this bore me
        out, would create pockets and irregularities that would be conducive
        to more diverse plant life...it would create niches and opportunities
        for differing species. this happened. the ground became much more
        moist, even juicy in spots, and when i am planting seedballs, the ball
        rolls into these little "pockets" (sometimes i remove a stick and plop
        a seedball into the depression
        > caused by the stick). if my observations serve me, trees like
        depressions and cracks, and fluffy piles of earth in which to
        germinate. so, it seems to me that if you wanted lots of trees to be
        coaxed into germinating and growing you would create those conditions
        for them...

        so, my "logic" says if the ground is bare ,you would "lop and scatter"
        in some way. this will lead to diversity in plant species. once the
        weeds, grasses and herbs are growing (introduced by seedballs in some
        cases), they will serve the same purposes as the scattered plant
        debris, such as creating many habitats, and providing just the right
        amounts of shades for protecting prospective tree seedlings... it is
        this understory that will give rise and succor to trees; as well as
        having established paths so that you are not packing the ground where
        the "incubations" areas are.

        oh, another thing...i would do a search about what happened to the
        native trees in that area. if they were eliminated for development,for
        example, then you would have a better chance of bringing them back, as
        the seeds and seedlings will not be as
        threatened as much from disease or pests as tree-loss caused by these
        .if disease or predators got them, you may have to consider a related
        species of trees with better resistance.
        > -sorry for the long winded approach, like i said it's hard to
        describe things when you don't have the scientific terms or are not
        sure if what you are thinking makes sense or is even relevant! =)

        let me just say--seedballing with tree seeds cannot be done in a
        vaccumn...there should be a comprehensive, complete, wholistic
        approach to the entire habitat area...which means, attention must be
        paid to the soil, grasses, herbs, shrubs, etc. first...if the
        understory conditions are right, trees will appear of their own
        accord, or with very little coaxing! this is my opinion..

        i respect you all so much for all that you are doing for re-greening.

        robin-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

      • witchessocks
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
          better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
          volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
          sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
          white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
          pictures of "lop and
          scatter".
        • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
            Dear friend,
            Thank you so much! This would make me inform the team to prepare the ground better and to study the native species in detail before attempting to get seeds for the seedball making.

            In the actual making of the seedball, should we attempt to introduce the seeds seedball by seedball so as to ensure each seedball has the seed for a tree?

            Warm regards
            Radha
            better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
            volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
            sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
            white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
            pictures of "lop and
            scatter".

            Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

          • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
              Also when is the best time to scatter? We have monsoon rains setting in in India which would last for 3 months. A good spell of rain everyday for 3 months. Should we scatter just after the first showers? Or before?

              Also should seedballs be made only just before scattering? Can seedballs be done all through the year and used for scattering just before monsoons? Will it make them rot? what is the maximum time we can have seedballs away from scattering time such that it would not get damaged and would sprout after scattering? I guess this would also depend so much on geographical locations...cold areas versus hot, humid areas...

              Thanks again for your time and thoughts!
              Warm regards
              Radha

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                Thanks witchessocks,