Re: [fukuoka_farming] it was a good day of peace...

  • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16 6:40 PM
      At Bangalore, India we are trying to look into using the seedball technique to afforest some of the areas around Bangalore. I am very desperately trying to locate people who have used this technique in a large scale in India to understand the local conditions here. If unable to find pioneers,...I may have to get down to trying it out myself with the help of the big group here which will depend on so much on what I find out. Our target with many other NGOs here is to attempt to broadcast at least 2 million seedballs. Very desperately wish our team executes this and executes it successfully such that at least 1 million trees come out of the seedballs. All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

      Thanks in advance.
      Warm regards
      Radha
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16 7:56 PM
        Hi there witchessocks,

        I have been here lurking a while, like you waiting for
        it to be an active forum. Maybe it is time to try
        another strategy. :)

        Like you I find Mr. Fukuoka's ideas inspiring. I am
        still in the process of wrapping my mind around some
        of them. But I'm already in love with the idea of
        working with nature to let her take care of you. I
        want this whole world to be pristine again someday; I
        want to do my little piece to making it that way.

        In Central Florida we are heading into the
        too-hot-to-grow-most-things season. Just the
        super-hot loving plants go into the garden now. It is
        a good time to be meditating on what to do to apply
        the ideas here. I am already playing with the ideas a
        bit. But maybe I can form a basic plan by August when
        the season to plant gardens begins again.

        Blessed be

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • witchessocks
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 17 8:41 AM
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
          <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

          All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and
          care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well
          enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

          > Thanks in advance.
          > Warm regards
          > Radha

          dear friends,

          thanks for the great feedback-- your analyses and impressions are very
          important to me, and, i'm sure, to others on this list.

          radu, i am not a scientist, so i don't know the terms very well if
          at all, but, from an empathizing layperson's point of view, i believe
          that the fukuokian way of farming is comprehensive above all other
          factors...you are not able to take one or two aspects out of it, you
          must view it as a whole... i found this pdf file and i recognized the
          wholistic approach immediately...

          http://www.volunteertaskforce.org/ppwatershed/319_Grant_Reports/White%20Rock%20Seed%20Ball%20Project.pdf----------------------------------------------------------------------------

          i thought it very interesting, especially the "lop and scatter"
          technique that the group used, under direction of jim bones...i can
          vouch for this, because i tried it last year. i believe this will work
          not only on bare ground, but on a lawn grass monoculture...i had some
          weed trees that i had to "lop" but i wanted to use the wood for soil
          improvement. so, i cut or broke the branches down as far as i could by
          hand (or using a small hand cutter) and scattered them around this
          lawn grass monoculture, rather thickly in some areas not so thickly in
          others. i wanted the short sticks to have maximum contact with the
          ground, which i thought, and a year of observation of this bore me
          out, would create pockets and irregularities that would be conducive
          to more diverse plant life...it would create niches and opportunities
          for differing species. this happened. the ground became much more
          moist, even juicy in spots, and when i am planting seedballs, the ball
          rolls into these little "pockets" (sometimes i remove a stick and plop
          a seedball into the depression
          > caused by the stick). if my observations serve me, trees like
          depressions and cracks, and fluffy piles of earth in which to
          germinate. so, it seems to me that if you wanted lots of trees to be
          coaxed into germinating and growing you would create those conditions
          for them...

          so, my "logic" says if the ground is bare ,you would "lop and scatter"
          in some way. this will lead to diversity in plant species. once the
          weeds, grasses and herbs are growing (introduced by seedballs in some
          cases), they will serve the same purposes as the scattered plant
          debris, such as creating many habitats, and providing just the right
          amounts of shades for protecting prospective tree seedlings... it is
          this understory that will give rise and succor to trees; as well as
          having established paths so that you are not packing the ground where
          the "incubations" areas are.

          oh, another thing...i would do a search about what happened to the
          native trees in that area. if they were eliminated for development,for
          example, then you would have a better chance of bringing them back, as
          the seeds and seedlings will not be as
          threatened as much from disease or pests as tree-loss caused by these
          .if disease or predators got them, you may have to consider a related
          species of trees with better resistance.
          > -sorry for the long winded approach, like i said it's hard to
          describe things when you don't have the scientific terms or are not
          sure if what you are thinking makes sense or is even relevant! =)

          let me just say--seedballing with tree seeds cannot be done in a
          vaccumn...there should be a comprehensive, complete, wholistic
          approach to the entire habitat area...which means, attention must be
          paid to the soil, grasses, herbs, shrubs, etc. first...if the
          understory conditions are right, trees will appear of their own
          accord, or with very little coaxing! this is my opinion..

          i respect you all so much for all that you are doing for re-greening.

          robin-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

        • witchessocks
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17 11:37 AM
            better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
            volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
            sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
            white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
            pictures of "lop and
            scatter".
          • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17 5:58 PM
              Dear friend,
              Thank you so much! This would make me inform the team to prepare the ground better and to study the native species in detail before attempting to get seeds for the seedball making.

              In the actual making of the seedball, should we attempt to introduce the seeds seedball by seedball so as to ensure each seedball has the seed for a tree?

              Warm regards
              Radha
              better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
              volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
              sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
              white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
              pictures of "lop and
              scatter".

              Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

            • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17 6:22 PM
                Also when is the best time to scatter? We have monsoon rains setting in in India which would last for 3 months. A good spell of rain everyday for 3 months. Should we scatter just after the first showers? Or before?

                Also should seedballs be made only just before scattering? Can seedballs be done all through the year and used for scattering just before monsoons? Will it make them rot? what is the maximum time we can have seedballs away from scattering time such that it would not get damaged and would sprout after scattering? I guess this would also depend so much on geographical locations...cold areas versus hot, humid areas...

                Thanks again for your time and thoughts!
                Warm regards
                Radha

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17 10:58 PM
                  Thanks witchessocks,