Re: [fukuoka_farming] it was a good day of peace...

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
      Yes, peaceful today. Congratulations on your seedball sprouts.

      We also are in Virginia, USA, in the capital city of Richmond. Our
      school family has been trying, along with many others, to get all the
      permits for long-term community gardens to be established in each city
      district.

      One goal is expressly to have a long term comparison of a Fukuokan
      no-till garden & other gardens in biointensive & standard organic
      methods.

      In the usual relationship with the Powers that Be in City Hall, there
      are some actual supporters, who see this as a crucial time for urban
      people to recognize the need to learn how food grows, some others who
      are flat-out opposed, & many who see the whole idea as just more things
      to keep up with when the citizens lose interest.

      Thank you for the words from the Tao.
      Peace,
      Napi

      > ...i have no intention to leave this forum... i don't know who's still
      >
      > active, but, give me a holler! we can use it for ourselves, and talk!
      > what are your experiences planting this spring? anybody?
      >
      > this is from the tao;
      >
      > there is no geater illusion than fear,
      > no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
      > no greater misfortune than having an enemy.
      >
      > whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.
    • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
        At Bangalore, India we are trying to look into using the seedball technique to afforest some of the areas around Bangalore. I am very desperately trying to locate people who have used this technique in a large scale in India to understand the local conditions here. If unable to find pioneers,...I may have to get down to trying it out myself with the help of the big group here which will depend on so much on what I find out. Our target with many other NGOs here is to attempt to broadcast at least 2 million seedballs. Very desperately wish our team executes this and executes it successfully such that at least 1 million trees come out of the seedballs. All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

        Thanks in advance.
        Warm regards
        Radha
        Yes, peaceful today. Congratulations on your seedball sprouts.

        We also are in Virginia, USA, in the capital city of Richmond. Our
        school family has been trying, along with many others, to get all the
        permits for long-term community gardens to be established in each city
        district.

        One goal is expressly to have a long term comparison of a Fukuokan
        no-till garden & other gardens in biointensive & standard organic
        methods.

        In the usual relationship with the Powers that Be in City Hall, there
        are some actual supporters, who see this as a crucial time for urban
        people to recognize the need to learn how food grows, some others who
        are flat-out opposed, & many who see the whole idea as just more things
        to keep up with when the citizens lose interest.

        Thank you for the words from the Tao.
        Peace,
        Napi

        > ...i have no intention to leave this forum... i don't know who's still
        >
        > active, but, give me a holler! we can use it for ourselves, and talk!
        > what are your experiences planting this spring? anybody?
        >
        > this is from the tao;
        >
        > there is no geater illusion than fear,
        > no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
        > no greater misfortune than having an enemy.
        >
        > whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.

      • d pfalzer
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
          Hi there witchessocks,

          I have been here lurking a while, like you waiting for
          it to be an active forum. Maybe it is time to try
          another strategy. :)

          Like you I find Mr. Fukuoka's ideas inspiring. I am
          still in the process of wrapping my mind around some
          of them. But I'm already in love with the idea of
          working with nature to let her take care of you. I
          want this whole world to be pristine again someday; I
          want to do my little piece to making it that way.

          In Central Florida we are heading into the
          too-hot-to-grow-most-things season. Just the
          super-hot loving plants go into the garden now. It is
          a good time to be meditating on what to do to apply
          the ideas here. I am already playing with the ideas a
          bit. But maybe I can form a basic plan by August when
          the season to plant gardens begins again.

          Blessed be

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • witchessocks
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
            <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

            All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and
            care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well
            enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

            > Thanks in advance.
            > Warm regards
            > Radha

            dear friends,

            thanks for the great feedback-- your analyses and impressions are very
            important to me, and, i'm sure, to others on this list.

            radu, i am not a scientist, so i don't know the terms very well if
            at all, but, from an empathizing layperson's point of view, i believe
            that the fukuokian way of farming is comprehensive above all other
            factors...you are not able to take one or two aspects out of it, you
            must view it as a whole... i found this pdf file and i recognized the
            wholistic approach immediately...

            http://www.volunteertaskforce.org/ppwatershed/319_Grant_Reports/White%20Rock%20Seed%20Ball%20Project.pdf----------------------------------------------------------------------------

            i thought it very interesting, especially the "lop and scatter"
            technique that the group used, under direction of jim bones...i can
            vouch for this, because i tried it last year. i believe this will work
            not only on bare ground, but on a lawn grass monoculture...i had some
            weed trees that i had to "lop" but i wanted to use the wood for soil
            improvement. so, i cut or broke the branches down as far as i could by
            hand (or using a small hand cutter) and scattered them around this
            lawn grass monoculture, rather thickly in some areas not so thickly in
            others. i wanted the short sticks to have maximum contact with the
            ground, which i thought, and a year of observation of this bore me
            out, would create pockets and irregularities that would be conducive
            to more diverse plant life...it would create niches and opportunities
            for differing species. this happened. the ground became much more
            moist, even juicy in spots, and when i am planting seedballs, the ball
            rolls into these little "pockets" (sometimes i remove a stick and plop
            a seedball into the depression
            > caused by the stick). if my observations serve me, trees like
            depressions and cracks, and fluffy piles of earth in which to
            germinate. so, it seems to me that if you wanted lots of trees to be
            coaxed into germinating and growing you would create those conditions
            for them...

            so, my "logic" says if the ground is bare ,you would "lop and scatter"
            in some way. this will lead to diversity in plant species. once the
            weeds, grasses and herbs are growing (introduced by seedballs in some
            cases), they will serve the same purposes as the scattered plant
            debris, such as creating many habitats, and providing just the right
            amounts of shades for protecting prospective tree seedlings... it is
            this understory that will give rise and succor to trees; as well as
            having established paths so that you are not packing the ground where
            the "incubations" areas are.

            oh, another thing...i would do a search about what happened to the
            native trees in that area. if they were eliminated for development,for
            example, then you would have a better chance of bringing them back, as
            the seeds and seedlings will not be as
            threatened as much from disease or pests as tree-loss caused by these
            .if disease or predators got them, you may have to consider a related
            species of trees with better resistance.
            > -sorry for the long winded approach, like i said it's hard to
            describe things when you don't have the scientific terms or are not
            sure if what you are thinking makes sense or is even relevant! =)

            let me just say--seedballing with tree seeds cannot be done in a
            vaccumn...there should be a comprehensive, complete, wholistic
            approach to the entire habitat area...which means, attention must be
            paid to the soil, grasses, herbs, shrubs, etc. first...if the
            understory conditions are right, trees will appear of their own
            accord, or with very little coaxing! this is my opinion..

            i respect you all so much for all that you are doing for re-greening.

            robin-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

          • witchessocks
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
              better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
              volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
              sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
              white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
              pictures of "lop and
              scatter".
            • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                Dear friend,
                Thank you so much! This would make me inform the team to prepare the ground better and to study the native species in detail before attempting to get seeds for the seedball making.

                In the actual making of the seedball, should we attempt to introduce the seeds seedball by seedball so as to ensure each seedball has the seed for a tree?

                Warm regards
                Radha
                better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
                volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
                sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
                white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
                pictures of "lop and
                scatter".

                Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

              • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Also when is the best time to scatter? We have monsoon rains setting in in India which would last for 3 months. A good spell of rain everyday for 3 months. Should we scatter just after the first showers? Or before?

                  Also should seedballs be made only just before scattering? Can seedballs be done all through the year and used for scattering just before monsoons? Will it make them rot? what is the maximum time we can have seedballs away from scattering time such that it would not get damaged and would sprout after scattering? I guess this would also depend so much on geographical locations...cold areas versus hot, humid areas...

                  Thanks again for your time and thoughts!
                  Warm regards
                  Radha

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                    Thanks witchessocks,