it was a good day of peace...

  • witchessocks
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 15, 2006
      i was lucky to have inherited a good hand scythe (sickle?) from my
      dad, and my husband sharpened it,
      so i used it today on a big patch of grass and weeds in my front
      yard...then, i placed my seedballs in all the little nooks and
      crannies; and some out in the open sun. as i was going, i noticed a
      few seedballs that i had tossed in the weeds several days ago, and
      many of them had little starts of green bulging out of them...so, it
      works!

      lately i feel that i am hearing an echo in this forum...so, i guess i
      can feel free to write what i want...

      or maybe everybody's just busy, it being planting season and all (i'm
      in virginia).

      these are the best days of my life. thank you mr. fukuoka for your
      clear vision to teach me. i humbly ask for the inspiration to make
      wise choices and enter the nature nirvana as a bit player... i am
      content to have no flash...i will be common as stone.

      as i repeat myself, i renew myself...now to mix a batch of seed cake
      and as the sun goes down i will rest
      my legs and roll the clay balls up. i make the batches two days in
      advance in order to give them at least 24 hours to dry.

      i have no intention to leave this forum... i don't know who's still
      active, but, give me a holler! we can use it for ourselves, and talk!
      what are your experiences planting this spring? anybody?

      this is from the tao;

      there is no geater illusion than fear,
      no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
      no greater misfortune than having an enemy.

      whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.
    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
        Yes, peaceful today. Congratulations on your seedball sprouts.

        We also are in Virginia, USA, in the capital city of Richmond. Our
        school family has been trying, along with many others, to get all the
        permits for long-term community gardens to be established in each city
        district.

        One goal is expressly to have a long term comparison of a Fukuokan
        no-till garden & other gardens in biointensive & standard organic
        methods.

        In the usual relationship with the Powers that Be in City Hall, there
        are some actual supporters, who see this as a crucial time for urban
        people to recognize the need to learn how food grows, some others who
        are flat-out opposed, & many who see the whole idea as just more things
        to keep up with when the citizens lose interest.

        Thank you for the words from the Tao.
        Peace,
        Napi

        > ...i have no intention to leave this forum... i don't know who's still
        >
        > active, but, give me a holler! we can use it for ourselves, and talk!
        > what are your experiences planting this spring? anybody?
        >
        > this is from the tao;
        >
        > there is no geater illusion than fear,
        > no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
        > no greater misfortune than having an enemy.
        >
        > whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.
      • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
          At Bangalore, India we are trying to look into using the seedball technique to afforest some of the areas around Bangalore. I am very desperately trying to locate people who have used this technique in a large scale in India to understand the local conditions here. If unable to find pioneers,...I may have to get down to trying it out myself with the help of the big group here which will depend on so much on what I find out. Our target with many other NGOs here is to attempt to broadcast at least 2 million seedballs. Very desperately wish our team executes this and executes it successfully such that at least 1 million trees come out of the seedballs. All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

          Thanks in advance.
          Warm regards
          Radha
          Yes, peaceful today. Congratulations on your seedball sprouts.

          We also are in Virginia, USA, in the capital city of Richmond. Our
          school family has been trying, along with many others, to get all the
          permits for long-term community gardens to be established in each city
          district.

          One goal is expressly to have a long term comparison of a Fukuokan
          no-till garden & other gardens in biointensive & standard organic
          methods.

          In the usual relationship with the Powers that Be in City Hall, there
          are some actual supporters, who see this as a crucial time for urban
          people to recognize the need to learn how food grows, some others who
          are flat-out opposed, & many who see the whole idea as just more things
          to keep up with when the citizens lose interest.

          Thank you for the words from the Tao.
          Peace,
          Napi

          > ...i have no intention to leave this forum... i don't know who's still
          >
          > active, but, give me a holler! we can use it for ourselves, and talk!
          > what are your experiences planting this spring? anybody?
          >
          > this is from the tao;
          >
          > there is no geater illusion than fear,
          > no greater wrong than preparing to defend yourself,
          > no greater misfortune than having an enemy.
          >
          > whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.

        • d pfalzer
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 16, 2006
            Hi there witchessocks,

            I have been here lurking a while, like you waiting for
            it to be an active forum. Maybe it is time to try
            another strategy. :)

            Like you I find Mr. Fukuoka's ideas inspiring. I am
            still in the process of wrapping my mind around some
            of them. But I'm already in love with the idea of
            working with nature to let her take care of you. I
            want this whole world to be pristine again someday; I
            want to do my little piece to making it that way.

            In Central Florida we are heading into the
            too-hot-to-grow-most-things season. Just the
            super-hot loving plants go into the garden now. It is
            a good time to be meditating on what to do to apply
            the ideas here. I am already playing with the ideas a
            bit. But maybe I can form a basic plan by August when
            the season to plant gardens begins again.

            Blessed be

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • witchessocks
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
              <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

              All concerned who wish to give advice on the making, scattering and
              care taking for the subsequent years, to help this move forward well
              enough, welcome..please do so. The trees would be most grateful!

              > Thanks in advance.
              > Warm regards
              > Radha

              dear friends,

              thanks for the great feedback-- your analyses and impressions are very
              important to me, and, i'm sure, to others on this list.

              radu, i am not a scientist, so i don't know the terms very well if
              at all, but, from an empathizing layperson's point of view, i believe
              that the fukuokian way of farming is comprehensive above all other
              factors...you are not able to take one or two aspects out of it, you
              must view it as a whole... i found this pdf file and i recognized the
              wholistic approach immediately...

              http://www.volunteertaskforce.org/ppwatershed/319_Grant_Reports/White%20Rock%20Seed%20Ball%20Project.pdf----------------------------------------------------------------------------

              i thought it very interesting, especially the "lop and scatter"
              technique that the group used, under direction of jim bones...i can
              vouch for this, because i tried it last year. i believe this will work
              not only on bare ground, but on a lawn grass monoculture...i had some
              weed trees that i had to "lop" but i wanted to use the wood for soil
              improvement. so, i cut or broke the branches down as far as i could by
              hand (or using a small hand cutter) and scattered them around this
              lawn grass monoculture, rather thickly in some areas not so thickly in
              others. i wanted the short sticks to have maximum contact with the
              ground, which i thought, and a year of observation of this bore me
              out, would create pockets and irregularities that would be conducive
              to more diverse plant life...it would create niches and opportunities
              for differing species. this happened. the ground became much more
              moist, even juicy in spots, and when i am planting seedballs, the ball
              rolls into these little "pockets" (sometimes i remove a stick and plop
              a seedball into the depression
              > caused by the stick). if my observations serve me, trees like
              depressions and cracks, and fluffy piles of earth in which to
              germinate. so, it seems to me that if you wanted lots of trees to be
              coaxed into germinating and growing you would create those conditions
              for them...

              so, my "logic" says if the ground is bare ,you would "lop and scatter"
              in some way. this will lead to diversity in plant species. once the
              weeds, grasses and herbs are growing (introduced by seedballs in some
              cases), they will serve the same purposes as the scattered plant
              debris, such as creating many habitats, and providing just the right
              amounts of shades for protecting prospective tree seedlings... it is
              this understory that will give rise and succor to trees; as well as
              having established paths so that you are not packing the ground where
              the "incubations" areas are.

              oh, another thing...i would do a search about what happened to the
              native trees in that area. if they were eliminated for development,for
              example, then you would have a better chance of bringing them back, as
              the seeds and seedlings will not be as
              threatened as much from disease or pests as tree-loss caused by these
              .if disease or predators got them, you may have to consider a related
              species of trees with better resistance.
              > -sorry for the long winded approach, like i said it's hard to
              describe things when you don't have the scientific terms or are not
              sure if what you are thinking makes sense or is even relevant! =)

              let me just say--seedballing with tree seeds cannot be done in a
              vaccumn...there should be a comprehensive, complete, wholistic
              approach to the entire habitat area...which means, attention must be
              paid to the soil, grasses, herbs, shrubs, etc. first...if the
              understory conditions are right, trees will appear of their own
              accord, or with very little coaxing! this is my opinion..

              i respect you all so much for all that you are doing for re-greening.

              robin-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

            • witchessocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
                volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
                sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
                white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
                pictures of "lop and
                scatter".
              • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                  Dear friend,
                  Thank you so much! This would make me inform the team to prepare the ground better and to study the native species in detail before attempting to get seeds for the seedball making.

                  In the actual making of the seedball, should we attempt to introduce the seeds seedball by seedball so as to ensure each seedball has the seed for a tree?

                  Warm regards
                  Radha
                  better link...my computer skills are lacking...just go to
                  volunteertaskforce.org, scroll down to the caption "seedballs are
                  sprouting all over los alamos" click on that, then scroll down to the
                  white rock seed ball project caption , click, to read about and see
                  pictures of "lop and
                  scatter".

                  Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                    Also when is the best time to scatter? We have monsoon rains setting in in India which would last for 3 months. A good spell of rain everyday for 3 months. Should we scatter just after the first showers? Or before?

                    Also should seedballs be made only just before scattering? Can seedballs be done all through the year and used for scattering just before monsoons? Will it make them rot? what is the maximum time we can have seedballs away from scattering time such that it would not get damaged and would sprout after scattering? I guess this would also depend so much on geographical locations...cold areas versus hot, humid areas...

                    Thanks again for your time and thoughts!
                    Warm regards
                    Radha

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 17, 2006
                      Thanks witchessocks,