Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: SEED BALLS

  • rajutitus lal
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 8 8:18 PM
      Dear friend,
      Address- Mr Bapu
      ICRA,Samskrathi # 22
      New Thippa & Sandra Post
      Banglore-560075
      ph # 080-25283370
      mr Bapu will give you the name and address people doing Natural way of farming
      based on zero tillage near Banglore.
      Raju.

      Anuradha Desikan Eswar <eswar.rad@...> wrote: Dear Sir:

      There seems some mistake with Mr. Bapu's ID as the mail bounced back. Could you give me his address and phone number?

      Thanks.
      Warm regards
      Radha
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 8 8:41 PM
        Dear friend.
        Please read "The one straw Revolution." you will get this book in the web site of Mr Arvind Gupta. url is- http://arvindguptatoys.com
        you can see the method of making seed ball and photos in fukuoka_farmingyahoogroups web site.
        At present I don't have the address people doing Natural way of farming in India.

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9 9:53 AM
          Chk this.....

          http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/gardening/seedballs.shtml

          HTH.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
          <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

          > Dear Sir:
          >
          > I am awaiting reply from Mr. Bapu. In the meantime, could you please
          explain exact process I need to follow to make seedballs in India?
          Apart from Acacia what are the other specific seeds I can use? Apart
          from Mr. Bapu who are the others within India who have tried this
          technique and succeeded in a big way?

          > Thanks.
          > Warm regards
          > Radha
        • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9 6:20 PM
            Thanks Vinay. Yes I have checked this and Green Foundation too. I am trying to now find out who has succeeded with this immensely in India. If you know of someone who has succeeded in making many number of trees grow with this technique, please do let me know.

            Thanks.
            Warm regards
            Radha

            > I am awaiting reply from Mr. Bapu. In the meantime, could you please
            explain exact process I need to follow to make seedballs in India?
            Apart from Acacia what are the other specific seeds I can use? Apart
            from Mr. Bapu who are the others within India who have tried this
            technique and succeeded in a big way?

            > Thanks.
            > Warm regards
            > Radha

          • rajutitus lal
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 18 2:33 AM
              Dear friends,
              From 11th to 17th of this month I was away. I was invited by govt, of m.p.India to facilitate two days training programe in Jhabua dist for greening the desert by Seed ball method.

              This training programe was organised by Madhya pradesh rural livelihood project. This project is running with the co- ordination of Gram panchayet (Rural govt) Participants came from badly affected districts named Jhabua, Barwani and Dhar.

              Most of the participants are self help groups of poor ladies, volunteers of N.G.O.’s , Gopals (cow servants) and project fecilitation team of MPRLP. This training was mainly organised for the fodder development for the poor population of the village living with cattle and their cattle are not surviving due to shortage of fodder.

              Acasia (Subabul) is a very good fodder tree rich in protien ,very good for greening the desert, very good nitrogen supplier, provide wood for fuel and good ground cover of its seedlings. The best way of agriculture known as Natural way of farming based on zero tillage, no fertilizer, no killing of insects and weeds is easyily possible. It stops soil and bio-diversity erosion and attracts rains. It allows water to absorves by ground. It vaporise under ground water for making clouds for rain and irrigate naturaly. Crops of Wheet, Rice, vegetables and fruits are easily possible with natural way of farming.

              Mulch of acasia with straw of crops provide natural fertilizer for high yield and protect
              house of earth worms, microbes, algee and so many useful insects ,lizards ,frogs etc.
              In training we collected seeds of subabul and collected clay .

              Clay is a group of so many microbes, eggs of earth worm and seeds of micro vegetation
              such as green algee. It is very good for building the soil. We all enjoyed making seed balls
              with clay. This training programe was organised with the technique of A.V.P.(alternative to violence project).Training programe was prepared by Ranu Titus my daughter.

              All participants now busy in making seed balls.
              RajuTitus

            • michiyoshibuya
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 22 5:41 PM
                Hello friends,

                It seems like there's a lot going on in India, that's so exciting!

                Can anyone share experiences or theories of to what stage the seeds
                be protected by the clay, and if any other ingredients than
                clay, water and seeds are added, I'd be interested in hearing
                different ideas.
                And also creative production methods, if there are stories be shared.

                In Japan, we ( by hand made or concrete mixer) only use clay,
                variety of seeds and water, and the clay coating will be destroyed
                at the germination of the seeds inside. Since our climate is
                relatively mild and the soil is not too bad in most places, there
                have been a report of fair success(as well as the reports of
                failure). (I heard someone wrote a scientific paper on the
                achievement of a seedball project in English. I will let you know
                the detail when it appears on a magazine.)

                In Greece, Panos now uses clay, cotton waste and powdered minerals
                and make the "pellet" flatter and bigger, and that maintain its
                shape, providing protection to the seeds the way after their
                germination. I think it is quite remarkable and will be needed in
                regions with more severe climate.

                But now, I am trying to be more clear about the repeated questions,
                what are the main purpose of coating the seeds with the clay,
                and if the quality of clay play a major role.

                I am really interested in knowing if people from the places Fukuoka
                visited in the past continued seedballing and if they have made
                local adjustment.

                I received a phonecall from Majorka, Spain in January about the
                meeting to discuss the achievement of seedballs in March. Can
                anyone tell me what happend? Was the meeting held?

                Yuko went to Auroville, india two years ago for a month-long
                seedball workshop, and they were trying to make a concrete mixer
                attached to a bicycle but she returned to Japan before its
                completion. Did they successfuly make it after all, and do they
                still do seedball farming in Auroville?

                So, RajuTitus, the seedballing have been continued after the big
                seeding with the Fukuoka's presence and you can observe some success
                in India?

                Michiyo Shibuya
                Japan

                PS

                Our seeding in Ashio went quite well with 13 participants. Thank
                you all for your support.
                I still have the book(recapitulation) and the video for sale but now
                I put it back to the original price and the payment can be done by
                paypal(which accepts credit card as well). Please contact me
                privately if you are interested.

                I also uploaded some photos from greece(except for the one "copper
                mountina ashio" and the "clayballsize"(handmade clayball from
                Japan), they are from Panos's farm and the hills in anthusa village
                where we seeded in Ocotber. (Thank you Ilias and Maya for the
                photographs, I hope you don't mind me showing them to the group.)
                click "clayballs"
                http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/michiyoys
              • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 22 7:02 PM
                  Dear Friends,

                  With all your encouragement and inputs we from MARGAbandhu are trying to get Altech Foundation get into a project with Navachetana Trust and Foundation for Ecological Security to make at least a million seedballs before the monsoon. All the forces that are pushing this project look positive for now. If this experiment proves successful, the groups will do a lot more in subsequent years and will try to green other parts of India as well. All best wishes are welcome! Thanks! Will get back ato you about how things are progressing with eeach step forward.

                  Warm regards
                  Radha

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 24 12:43 PM
                    dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
                    talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
                    them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                    seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                    them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
                    would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

                    thank you,

                    robin

                  • rajutitus lal
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 24 6:50 PM
                      Dear friend,
                      I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a great teacher.
                      This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in dorment condition.
                      Thanks
                      Raju

                      witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
                      talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
                      them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                      seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                      them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
                      would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

                      thank you,

                      robin

                      Organic gardening Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                    • d pfalzer
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 25 5:51 AM
                        Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
                        way to natural farming, but I personally found it
                        instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
                        may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
                        another list I am on.

                        Subject: Re: No-till gardening

                        --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:

                        Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
                        interesting. From what I understand, instead of
                        rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
                        sowing a green manure in late summer or
                        autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
                        directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
                        green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
                        into it? It'd be good to get this right early
                        on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
                        soil before we've even started.....
                        Many thanks
                        Sarah
                        Central France
                        *********
                        Basically, yes.

                        I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
                        use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
                        cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
                        of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
                        Jon

                        --- rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                        > Dear friend,
                        > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of
                        > farming nature is a great teacher.
                        > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break
                        > seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of
                        > beens we scatter them directly or putting them in
                        > holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats
                        > and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed
                        > balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in
                        > winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in
                        > dorment condition.
                        > Thanks
                        > Raju
                        >
                        > witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear
                        > rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and
                        > teacher. could you
                        > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and
                        > peas before putting
                        > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and
                        > making some of my
                        > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water
                        > before covering
                        > them with clay? or should you plant them directly
                        > in little holes? i
                        > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                        >
                        > thank you,
                        >
                        > robin

                        > removed]

                        > Organic gardening
                        > Organic gardening pest control
                        > Organic gardening supply
                        >
                        > Organic vegetable gardening
                        > Organic seed
                        > Masanobu fukuoka

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------

                        > removed]

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • witchessocks
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 25 5:51 AM
                          yes, sir, that makes logical sense...i thank you for that...if you
                          could give advice to a old woman in the usa, who is the only one in
                          her household to make the seedballs, and who can only make maybe 100
                          seedballs a day... should i throw seeds and/or seedballs out everyday,
                          at all times of the year, whatever crops or plants are, or are about
                          to be in season---i buy most of my seeds, or people give them to
                          me...can i throw them within the short or weak weeds? i don't mind
                          wasting a lot of seeds in order to edge out the weeds some, if only
                          they will, eventually....i don't know enough about farming, as one
                          whose ancestors farmed, but my generation was raised in a consumer
                          economy and culture and many things were not passed down to us.

                          in appreciation...robin

                          In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                          > Dear friend,
                          > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a
                          great teacher.
                          > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for
                          this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or
                          putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and
                          birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season
                          sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain
                          in dorment condition.
                          > Thanks
                          > Raju

                          > Organic
                          gardening Organic gardening pest
                          control Organic gardening supply

                          Organic vegetable gardening
                          Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                          Service.

                          > ---------------------------------

                        • michiyoshibuya
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 26 4:07 AM
                            I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                            for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                            anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                            it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                            Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                            his beans? Was it 40 minutes?

                            It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                            the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                            before being scattered.

                            You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                            you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                            completely dried.

                            I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                            one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                            seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                            ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                            so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                            ball.

                            Michiyo

                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                            <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                            > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                            you
                            > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                            putting
                            > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                            > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                            > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                            > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                            >
                            > thank you,
                            >
                            > robin

                          • witchessocks
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 26 11:29 AM
                              wow! it is really true that the great way has no gate! i will
                              definitely try that!

                              thank you very much...robin

                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "michiyoshibuya"
                              <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote:

                              > I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                              > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                              > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                              > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                              > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                              > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                              >
                              > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                              > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                              > before being scattered.
                              >
                              > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                              > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                              > completely dried.
                              >
                              > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                              > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                              > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                              > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                              > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                              > ball.
                              >
                              > Michiyo

                            • witchessocks
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 26 11:59 AM
                                dear d pfalzer

                                i like the idea of sowing the cover crop in the fall and then sowing
                                the veggies into it in the spring...i know it's silly, but i couldn't
                                bring myself to smother the cover crop...or use cardboard. i don't
                                know why, i can barely bring myself to abort the invasive tree
                                saplings or cut back the honeysuckle...good thing i'm not picky about
                                what i call a vegetable!=) to me, dandelions are vegetables!

                                but i better get serious, or all i will have to eat is dandelions and
                                honeysuckle nectar! real farmers/gardeners cannot have a major trauma
                                attack every time they have to cut a swath of grass in order to walk
                                to the mailbox! embarrassing!<|:>D

                                blessed bees!

                                robin

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, d pfalzer <d_pfalzer@...> wrote:

                                > Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
                                > way to natural farming, but I personally found it
                                > instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
                                > may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
                                > another list I am on.
                                >
                                > Subject: Re: No-till gardening
                                >
                                > --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:
                                >
                                > Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
                                > interesting. From what I understand, instead of
                                > rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
                                > sowing a green manure in late summer or
                                > autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
                                > directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
                                > green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
                                > into it? It'd be good to get this right early
                                > on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
                                > soil before we've even started.....
                                > Many thanks
                                > Sarah
                                > Central France
                                > *********
                                > Basically, yes.
                                >
                                > I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
                                > use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
                                > cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
                                > of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
                                > Jon
                                >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • rajutitus lal
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 26 8:04 PM
                                  Dear friends,
                                  Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40 degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                                  I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls for growing and greening.
                                  Thanks
                                  Raju

                                  michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them

                                  <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                                  > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                                  you
                                  > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                                  putting
                                  > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                                  > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                                  > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                                  > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                  >
                                  > thank you,
                                  >
                                  > robin

                                • karoubas
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 27 1:13 PM
                                    Hello everyone and Michiyo
                                    Panos says 2 hours or so for soaking beans

                                    Just an update - I am having fun with this NF farming thing.
                                    The soil in my farm is getting stronger every year and the plants are
                                    also getting bigger - am enjoying and learning.

                                    Kostas

                                    wrote:

                                    > Dear friends,
                                    > Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common
                                    problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and
                                    quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40
                                    degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion
                                    of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                                    > I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls
                                    for growing and greening.
                                    > Thanks
                                    > Raju
                                    >
                                    > michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work
                                    well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                                    > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                                    > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                                    > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                                    > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                                    > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                                    >
                                    > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                                    > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                                    > before being scattered.
                                    >
                                    > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                                    > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                                    > completely dried.
                                    >
                                    > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                                    > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                                    > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                                    > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                                    > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                                    > ball.
                                    >
                                    > Michiyo
                                    >

                                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                                    > <witchessocks@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                                    > you
                                    > > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                                    > putting
                                    > > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                                    > > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                                    > > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                                    > > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                    > >
                                    > > thank you,
                                    > >
                                    > > robin

                                    Service.

                                    > ---------------------------------

                                  • Calin A. Radulescu
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 27 2:59 PM
                                      found this link the other day:

                                      www.seedballs.com/9seedpa.html

                                      it may help when lots of seedballs are needed.
                                      i wanted to post the plans in the file section but
                                      it looks that they are copyrighted.

                                      have fun,

                                      a.

                                    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 29 12:54 AM
                                        The cardboard has to be wet for this to work. It is not natural
                                        farming/gardening as I know it. Most of the time when this kind of
                                        thing is done the cardboard is covered with soil, then mulch...and
                                        that planted into. Some people just make holes in the cardboard
                                        where they want to plant a rosebush, for instance, or even just
                                        tomato plants. There is no need to cover one layer of cardboard with
                                        another strip, though.

                                        For that matter one can just use several layers of wet newspaper to
                                        accomplish the same thing. It also need not be a green manure crop
                                        beneath it. As the paper breaks down it retards what tries to grow
                                        beneath it. And....we must be careful not to place nutrients too far
                                        below where the plants can use them...which is in the top 2 inches of
                                        soil pretty much because that is where the feeder roots are.

                                        In Nature plant material, etc, breaks down creating a fertile place
                                        for seeds to grow even on top of the soil. A plant can grow on rock,
                                        if it has enough of this material to nourish it. Why cover it all
                                        with cardboard and then a new mulch? By doing this you are
                                        interfering. Natural Farming/gardening is about interfering as
                                        little as possible with Nature...and also learning from it.

                                        Gloria, Texas