heavy writings

  • witchessocks
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
      i finally gathered the materials and made some seedballs.this simple
      action gave me an epiphany, one that i am sure many in this group and
      others have also experienced. thank you for your great directions and
      descriptions, all.

      i also wanted to go back and re-read "on a green mountain", found on
      jim bones' site. there i found many things that came clear...

      here is masanobu fukuoka...

      {"God's love grows plants. Nature grows crops. Birds sow seeds. In
      three years, even the soil starts changing spontaneously. There are no
      ideas like big or small, strong or weak, rich or poor, in Nature. No
      idea like 'the struggle for existence'. There are bugs and diseases,
      but they do not cause problems. Many kinds of bugs co-exist in natural
      harmony. We cannot know why plants grow. I dare say, God's love. For
      example, the soil on my mountain is the same as that in the deserts
      and was not green fifty years ago. But now, even though I have not
      changed the soil, plants grow there."

      "In the beginning, man-made deserts were also green," he cautioned,
      "And the most important thing is to stop the advancement of arid lands
      around the world today." He said we can do this quickly by spreading
      seeds, hundreds of different kinds suitable to each locality, by the
      ton, from airplanes. His method involves making half inch balls like
      those we had found, containing hundreds of mixed seeds, microbes and
      humus, all rolled inside protective clay coatings. Clay shells defend
      the seeds from drought, insects, rodents and birds that would
      otherwise eat them before they sprout. Timely rains then release the
      seeds and no matter where they land something appropriate inside will
      grow. Once established, the resulting plants naturally reseed
      themselves with the help of gravity, wind, water, insects and larger
      animals."

      "At first I picked five or six kinds of acacia," he added, "then
      transplanted them. But transplanting was a big mistake, I do not do it
      any more. You can check that trees planted by birds are really
      straight, grow two meters per year. Check how old by branching. Roots
      like this," he drew out the motion, "Upper parts of tree are the same.
      If I go to desert now I say, 'I am a foolish old man,' and proceed
      that way."}

      i (robin) want to grow plants without having to mulch or mow... but i
      was worried about making sure that the seedball was touching the soil
      where it landed...but then i read {"Timely rains then release the
      seeds and no matter where they land something appropriate inside will
      grow. Once established, the resulting plants naturally reseed
      themselves with the help of gravity, wind, water, insects and larger
      animals."}...this tells me that you really can just toss the seedballs
      into the weeds...sometimes they make it,hit the ground, sometimes they
      don't... the rains may wash them down, maybe they'll grow in mid-air!...

      also, a previous poster asked what to do with his apple tree
      seedlings... i think if you find 4 old tree stumps and plant a tree in
      that humus-y soil around each stump that wouldn't be too damaging. to
      anything...but then going forward, try to plant them with seedballs or
      scattering non-gmo fruit around...(read the paragraph from
      fukuoka-san above on that subject)...

      i feel guilty that i transplanted a lot of trees recently now, but i'm
      glad i finally came to my senses about it, and now i vow never to
      gratuitously transplant again! of course, if a beautiful little tree
      seedling appears growing out from under my house as they sometimes do,
      i will go looking for that old stump!... i apologize for misleading
      any one by advocating transplanting before... fukuoka-san clearly says
      that he used to do it, but realized that it was a mistake...anybody
      want to discuss this? i feel ambivalent about transplanting
      sometimes...even while i was "installing" my althea hedge i had a sick
      feeling... i saw myself destroying so many tiny eco-systems, i
      accidently chopped some worms...i felt i was doing some kind of
      macabre hair-plug operation on the earth, like the hair-club for
      men!...when i could take no more, i threw down my shovel..i had "made"
      a hedge, but i felt no satisfaction...but, there were more saplings
      left! one cannot save every tiny tree but it may be better to let them
      be destroyed than to clumsily poke them somewhere else... oh, i don't
      know...i'm glad i read what fukuoka said about it just now... i'm
      going to let trees grow where they want to, and then i must make a
      decision whether i can live with that, TRYING to live with that
      location fated by "God's love", or, i may have to abort some trees if
      i cannot live with that location. or, if it is a tree that i dearly
      love, i may have to find another home for it. i simply cannot have a
      tree growing out from under my house or up through the front porch!

      now that i've covered every base, and talked it to death, and
      apologized, i'll sign off, for now... i love making seedballs! it
      keeps my hands busy so i don't go meddle with nature some more!

      of course, if you are selling your crop, you may have to have more
      control... i'm talking simply about regreening, not cash crops.

      robin
    • Steve Gage
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        witchessocks wrote:

        i love making seedballs! it
        keeps my hands busy so i don't go meddle with nature some more!

        ---

        robin,

        That statement just might hold the key to any possibility of a future for humankind.

        Such busy, busy monkeys we are! And if you've ever lived in monkey country, you know that monkeys just love to break things!

        Thanks for an excellent post...

        - S
      • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
          Hi:

          Could you share with us specific care we need to take if we need to make seedballs having seeds for trees?

          Regards
          Radha