Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: SEED BALLS

  • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 6, 2006
      Thanks so very much for your prompt reply. I shall contact Mr. Bapu and see what can be done.

      Warm regards
      Radha
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 7, 2006
        Hi Radha,

        You may want to contact Green Foundation
        (http://www.greenconserve.com) too. They save native seeds of
        vegetables, pulses but not trees. They could give helpful advise on
        local area greening.

        Jagan.
      • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 8, 2006
          Dear Sir:

          I am awaiting reply from Mr. Bapu. In the meantime, could you please explain exact process I need to follow to make seedballs in India? Apart from Acacia what are the other specific seeds I can use? Apart from Mr. Bapu who are the others within India who have tried this technique and succeeded in a big way?

          Thanks.
          Warm regards
          Radha

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2006
            Dear Sir:

            There seems some mistake with Mr. Bapu's ID as the mail bounced back. Could you give me his address and phone number?

            Thanks.
            Warm regards
            Radha

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 8, 2006
              Dear friend,
              Address- Mr Bapu
              ICRA,Samskrathi # 22
              New Thippa & Sandra Post
              Banglore-560075
              ph # 080-25283370
              mr Bapu will give you the name and address people doing Natural way of farming
              based on zero tillage near Banglore.
              Raju.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 8, 2006
                Dear friend.
                Please read "The one straw Revolution." you will get this book in the web site of Mr Arvind Gupta. url is- http://arvindguptatoys.com
                you can see the method of making seed ball and photos in fukuoka_farmingyahoogroups web site.
                At present I don't have the address people doing Natural way of farming in India.

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 9, 2006
                  Chk this.....

                  http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/gardening/seedballs.shtml

                  HTH.

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Anuradha Desikan Eswar"
                  <eswar.rad@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Sir:
                  >
                  > I am awaiting reply from Mr. Bapu. In the meantime, could you please
                  explain exact process I need to follow to make seedballs in India?
                  Apart from Acacia what are the other specific seeds I can use? Apart
                  from Mr. Bapu who are the others within India who have tried this
                  technique and succeeded in a big way?

                  > Thanks.
                  > Warm regards
                  > Radha
                • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 9, 2006
                    Thanks Vinay. Yes I have checked this and Green Foundation too. I am trying to now find out who has succeeded with this immensely in India. If you know of someone who has succeeded in making many number of trees grow with this technique, please do let me know.

                    Thanks.
                    Warm regards
                    Radha

                    > I am awaiting reply from Mr. Bapu. In the meantime, could you please
                    explain exact process I need to follow to make seedballs in India?
                    Apart from Acacia what are the other specific seeds I can use? Apart
                    from Mr. Bapu who are the others within India who have tried this
                    technique and succeeded in a big way?

                    > Thanks.
                    > Warm regards
                    > Radha

                  • rajutitus lal
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 18, 2006
                      Dear friends,
                      From 11th to 17th of this month I was away. I was invited by govt, of m.p.India to facilitate two days training programe in Jhabua dist for greening the desert by Seed ball method.

                      This training programe was organised by Madhya pradesh rural livelihood project. This project is running with the co- ordination of Gram panchayet (Rural govt) Participants came from badly affected districts named Jhabua, Barwani and Dhar.

                      Most of the participants are self help groups of poor ladies, volunteers of N.G.O.’s , Gopals (cow servants) and project fecilitation team of MPRLP. This training was mainly organised for the fodder development for the poor population of the village living with cattle and their cattle are not surviving due to shortage of fodder.

                      Acasia (Subabul) is a very good fodder tree rich in protien ,very good for greening the desert, very good nitrogen supplier, provide wood for fuel and good ground cover of its seedlings. The best way of agriculture known as Natural way of farming based on zero tillage, no fertilizer, no killing of insects and weeds is easyily possible. It stops soil and bio-diversity erosion and attracts rains. It allows water to absorves by ground. It vaporise under ground water for making clouds for rain and irrigate naturaly. Crops of Wheet, Rice, vegetables and fruits are easily possible with natural way of farming.

                      Mulch of acasia with straw of crops provide natural fertilizer for high yield and protect
                      house of earth worms, microbes, algee and so many useful insects ,lizards ,frogs etc.
                      In training we collected seeds of subabul and collected clay .

                      Clay is a group of so many microbes, eggs of earth worm and seeds of micro vegetation
                      such as green algee. It is very good for building the soil. We all enjoyed making seed balls
                      with clay. This training programe was organised with the technique of A.V.P.(alternative to violence project).Training programe was prepared by Ranu Titus my daughter.

                      All participants now busy in making seed balls.
                      RajuTitus

                    • michiyoshibuya
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 22, 2006
                        Hello friends,

                        It seems like there's a lot going on in India, that's so exciting!

                        Can anyone share experiences or theories of to what stage the seeds
                        be protected by the clay, and if any other ingredients than
                        clay, water and seeds are added, I'd be interested in hearing
                        different ideas.
                        And also creative production methods, if there are stories be shared.

                        In Japan, we ( by hand made or concrete mixer) only use clay,
                        variety of seeds and water, and the clay coating will be destroyed
                        at the germination of the seeds inside. Since our climate is
                        relatively mild and the soil is not too bad in most places, there
                        have been a report of fair success(as well as the reports of
                        failure). (I heard someone wrote a scientific paper on the
                        achievement of a seedball project in English. I will let you know
                        the detail when it appears on a magazine.)

                        In Greece, Panos now uses clay, cotton waste and powdered minerals
                        and make the "pellet" flatter and bigger, and that maintain its
                        shape, providing protection to the seeds the way after their
                        germination. I think it is quite remarkable and will be needed in
                        regions with more severe climate.

                        But now, I am trying to be more clear about the repeated questions,
                        what are the main purpose of coating the seeds with the clay,
                        and if the quality of clay play a major role.

                        I am really interested in knowing if people from the places Fukuoka
                        visited in the past continued seedballing and if they have made
                        local adjustment.

                        I received a phonecall from Majorka, Spain in January about the
                        meeting to discuss the achievement of seedballs in March. Can
                        anyone tell me what happend? Was the meeting held?

                        Yuko went to Auroville, india two years ago for a month-long
                        seedball workshop, and they were trying to make a concrete mixer
                        attached to a bicycle but she returned to Japan before its
                        completion. Did they successfuly make it after all, and do they
                        still do seedball farming in Auroville?

                        So, RajuTitus, the seedballing have been continued after the big
                        seeding with the Fukuoka's presence and you can observe some success
                        in India?

                        Michiyo Shibuya
                        Japan

                        PS

                        Our seeding in Ashio went quite well with 13 participants. Thank
                        you all for your support.
                        I still have the book(recapitulation) and the video for sale but now
                        I put it back to the original price and the payment can be done by
                        paypal(which accepts credit card as well). Please contact me
                        privately if you are interested.

                        I also uploaded some photos from greece(except for the one "copper
                        mountina ashio" and the "clayballsize"(handmade clayball from
                        Japan), they are from Panos's farm and the hills in anthusa village
                        where we seeded in Ocotber. (Thank you Ilias and Maya for the
                        photographs, I hope you don't mind me showing them to the group.)
                        click "clayballs"
                        http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/michiyoys
                      • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 22, 2006
                          Dear Friends,

                          With all your encouragement and inputs we from MARGAbandhu are trying to get Altech Foundation get into a project with Navachetana Trust and Foundation for Ecological Security to make at least a million seedballs before the monsoon. All the forces that are pushing this project look positive for now. If this experiment proves successful, the groups will do a lot more in subsequent years and will try to green other parts of India as well. All best wishes are welcome! Thanks! Will get back ato you about how things are progressing with eeach step forward.

                          Warm regards
                          Radha

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 24, 2006
                            dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
                            talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
                            them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                            seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                            them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
                            would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

                            thank you,

                            robin

                          • rajutitus lal
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 24, 2006
                              Dear friend,
                              I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a great teacher.
                              This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in dorment condition.
                              Thanks
                              Raju

                              witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could you
                              talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before putting
                              them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                              seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                              them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes? i
                              would rather put them in seedballs if possible.

                              thank you,

                              robin

                              Organic gardening Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                            • d pfalzer
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 25, 2006
                                Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
                                way to natural farming, but I personally found it
                                instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
                                may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
                                another list I am on.

                                Subject: Re: No-till gardening

                                --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:

                                Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
                                interesting. From what I understand, instead of
                                rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
                                sowing a green manure in late summer or
                                autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
                                directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
                                green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
                                into it? It'd be good to get this right early
                                on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
                                soil before we've even started.....
                                Many thanks
                                Sarah
                                Central France
                                *********
                                Basically, yes.

                                I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
                                use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
                                cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
                                of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
                                Jon

                                --- rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                                > Dear friend,
                                > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of
                                > farming nature is a great teacher.
                                > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break
                                > seedballs for this we do not make seed balls of
                                > beens we scatter them directly or putting them in
                                > holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats
                                > and birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed
                                > balls. For rainy season sowing we make balls in
                                > winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain in
                                > dorment condition.
                                > Thanks
                                > Raju
                                >
                                > witchessocks <witchessocks@...> wrote: dear
                                > rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and
                                > teacher. could you
                                > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and
                                > peas before putting
                                > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and
                                > making some of my
                                > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water
                                > before covering
                                > them with clay? or should you plant them directly
                                > in little holes? i
                                > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                >
                                > thank you,
                                >
                                > robin

                                > removed]

                                > Organic gardening
                                > Organic gardening pest control
                                > Organic gardening supply
                                >
                                > Organic vegetable gardening
                                > Organic seed
                                > Masanobu fukuoka

                                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                                >

                                > ---------------------------------

                                > removed]

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • witchessocks
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 25, 2006
                                  yes, sir, that makes logical sense...i thank you for that...if you
                                  could give advice to a old woman in the usa, who is the only one in
                                  her household to make the seedballs, and who can only make maybe 100
                                  seedballs a day... should i throw seeds and/or seedballs out everyday,
                                  at all times of the year, whatever crops or plants are, or are about
                                  to be in season---i buy most of my seeds, or people give them to
                                  me...can i throw them within the short or weak weeds? i don't mind
                                  wasting a lot of seeds in order to edge out the weeds some, if only
                                  they will, eventually....i don't know enough about farming, as one
                                  whose ancestors farmed, but my generation was raised in a consumer
                                  economy and culture and many things were not passed down to us.

                                  in appreciation...robin

                                  In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, rajutitus lal <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                                  > Dear friend,
                                  > I am not great and not teacher.In natural way of farming nature is a
                                  great teacher.
                                  > This is true beens quickly absorve water and break seedballs for
                                  this we do not make seed balls of beens we scatter them directly or
                                  putting them in holes.Straw cover is also protect seeds from rats and
                                  birds.For winter sowing we are not making seed balls. For rainy season
                                  sowing we make balls in winter .In winter seeds of rainy season remain
                                  in dorment condition.
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Raju

                                  > Organic
                                  gardening Organic gardening pest
                                  control Organic gardening supply

                                  Organic vegetable gardening
                                  Organic seed Masanobu fukuoka

                                  Service.

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                • michiyoshibuya
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                                    I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                                    for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                                    anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                                    it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                                    Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                                    his beans? Was it 40 minutes?

                                    It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                                    the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                                    before being scattered.

                                    You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                                    you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                                    completely dried.

                                    I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                                    one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                                    seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                                    ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                                    so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                                    ball.

                                    Michiyo

                                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                                    <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                                    > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                                    you
                                    > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                                    putting
                                    > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                                    > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                                    > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                                    > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                    >
                                    > thank you,
                                    >
                                    > robin

                                  • witchessocks
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                                      wow! it is really true that the great way has no gate! i will
                                      definitely try that!

                                      thank you very much...robin

                                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "michiyoshibuya"
                                      <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote:

                                      > I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                                      > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                                      > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                                      > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                                      > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                                      > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                                      >
                                      > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                                      > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                                      > before being scattered.
                                      >
                                      > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                                      > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                                      > completely dried.
                                      >
                                      > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                                      > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                                      > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                                      > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                                      > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                                      > ball.
                                      >
                                      > Michiyo

                                    • witchessocks
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                                        dear d pfalzer

                                        i like the idea of sowing the cover crop in the fall and then sowing
                                        the veggies into it in the spring...i know it's silly, but i couldn't
                                        bring myself to smother the cover crop...or use cardboard. i don't
                                        know why, i can barely bring myself to abort the invasive tree
                                        saplings or cut back the honeysuckle...good thing i'm not picky about
                                        what i call a vegetable!=) to me, dandelions are vegetables!

                                        but i better get serious, or all i will have to eat is dandelions and
                                        honeysuckle nectar! real farmers/gardeners cannot have a major trauma
                                        attack every time they have to cut a swath of grass in order to walk
                                        to the mailbox! embarrassing!<|:>D

                                        blessed bees!

                                        robin

                                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, d pfalzer <d_pfalzer@...> wrote:

                                        > Maybe this is just no-till gardening and not all the
                                        > way to natural farming, but I personally found it
                                        > instructional. I am sharing it in the hopes that it
                                        > may be helpful to someone else too. It comes from
                                        > another list I am on.
                                        >
                                        > Subject: Re: No-till gardening
                                        >
                                        > --- In organichomesteadinggardening@yahoogroups.com:
                                        >
                                        > Can I question you on this Jon? It sounds
                                        > interesting. From what I understand, instead of
                                        > rotovating every year, no-till gardening would involve
                                        > sowing a green manure in late summer or
                                        > autumn and then either smothering it or sowing the veg
                                        > directly into it? Do you put down cardboard over a
                                        > green manure and have strips of whatever vegetable cut
                                        > into it? It'd be good to get this right early
                                        > on, I've a feeling we could otherwise be eroding our
                                        > soil before we've even started.....
                                        > Many thanks
                                        > Sarah
                                        > Central France
                                        > *********
                                        > Basically, yes.
                                        >
                                        > I mow or weed eat the green manure cover crop, then
                                        > use 2 layers of cardboard: One long ways the other
                                        > cross ways, then add a layer or two or three of mulch
                                        > of whatever you can get free or have the most of.
                                        > Jon
                                        >

                                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      • rajutitus lal
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 26, 2006
                                          Dear friends,
                                          Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40 degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                                          I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls for growing and greening.
                                          Thanks
                                          Raju

                                          michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work well with the beans and peas if you soak them

                                          <witchessocks@...> wrote:

                                          > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                                          you
                                          > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                                          putting
                                          > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                                          > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                                          > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                                          > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                          >
                                          > thank you,
                                          >
                                          > robin

                                        • karoubas
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 27, 2006
                                            Hello everyone and Michiyo
                                            Panos says 2 hours or so for soaking beans

                                            Just an update - I am having fun with this NF farming thing.
                                            The soil in my farm is getting stronger every year and the plants are
                                            also getting bigger - am enjoying and learning.

                                            Kostas

                                            wrote:

                                            > Dear friends,
                                            > Thanks for the information. Cracks in seed balls is common
                                            problem.Yesterday I tried I found hard consistency of needed clay and
                                            quick drying can solve this problem in India where temp is above 40
                                            degree.When Fukuoka was in India he was suggesting touch lower portion
                                            of our ear and keep consistency accordingly.
                                            > I love this discussion and pray for all who are making seed balls
                                            for growing and greening.
                                            > Thanks
                                            > Raju
                                            >
                                            > michiyoshibuya <michiyoshibuya@...> wrote: I think seedballs work
                                            well with the beans and peas if you soak them
                                            > for a right duration. I have seen successful ones with the soaking
                                            > anywhere between 20 mintues up to 2 hours. If I remember it right,
                                            > it was generally near 40 mintues. Can any of the silent member from
                                            > Greece(I know there are many of you!) tell us how long Panos soaks
                                            > his beans? Was it 40 minutes?
                                            >
                                            > It has to be short so that the germination process will not start by
                                            > the soaking because the seedballs will usually be dried completely
                                            > before being scattered.
                                            >
                                            > You can start the experiment with 20 minutes, then 30, then 40 until
                                            > you can make the seedballs which does not crack after being
                                            > completely dried.
                                            >
                                            > I have been successful with hand-made seedballs which contain only
                                            > one beans/peas, but if I make the balls with already mixed clay and
                                            > seeds with which you cannot control the exact number of beans in one
                                            > ball, I get the cracks. Yuko still recommends this mixture method,
                                            > so I guess she is successful with even two or three peas are in one
                                            > ball.
                                            >
                                            > Michiyo
                                            >

                                            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
                                            > <witchessocks@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > dear rajutitus...you are a great natural farmer and teacher. could
                                            > you
                                            > > talk a little more about the wetting of beans and peas before
                                            > putting
                                            > > them in seedballs? they are drawing in water and making some of my
                                            > > seedballs crack. how long do you put them in water before covering
                                            > > them with clay? or should you plant them directly in little holes?
                                            > > would rather put them in seedballs if possible.
                                            > >
                                            > > thank you,
                                            > >
                                            > > robin

                                            Service.

                                            > ---------------------------------

                                          • Calin A. Radulescu
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 27, 2006
                                              found this link the other day:

                                              www.seedballs.com/9seedpa.html

                                              it may help when lots of seedballs are needed.
                                              i wanted to post the plans in the file section but
                                              it looks that they are copyrighted.

                                              have fun,

                                              a.

                                            • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 29, 2006
                                                The cardboard has to be wet for this to work. It is not natural
                                                farming/gardening as I know it. Most of the time when this kind of
                                                thing is done the cardboard is covered with soil, then mulch...and
                                                that planted into. Some people just make holes in the cardboard
                                                where they want to plant a rosebush, for instance, or even just
                                                tomato plants. There is no need to cover one layer of cardboard with
                                                another strip, though.

                                                For that matter one can just use several layers of wet newspaper to
                                                accomplish the same thing. It also need not be a green manure crop
                                                beneath it. As the paper breaks down it retards what tries to grow
                                                beneath it. And....we must be careful not to place nutrients too far
                                                below where the plants can use them...which is in the top 2 inches of
                                                soil pretty much because that is where the feeder roots are.

                                                In Nature plant material, etc, breaks down creating a fertile place
                                                for seeds to grow even on top of the soil. A plant can grow on rock,
                                                if it has enough of this material to nourish it. Why cover it all
                                                with cardboard and then a new mulch? By doing this you are
                                                interfering. Natural Farming/gardening is about interfering as
                                                little as possible with Nature...and also learning from it.

                                                Gloria, Texas