Morishima Acacia

  • finefroc
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2002
      Does anybody know the Botanical name of the Morishma Acacia named in
      THE ONE STRAW REVOLUTON?
    • emilia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2002
        hi finefroc,
        it seems that there is an spelling mistake & that it is actually the acacia
        "mollissima", (Acacia mearnsii, de Wild), also known as acacia decurrens or
        "black wattle", as it is with all true acacias it wont stand cold climate
        although it has more tolerence to cool winters than others & can even stand
        moderately mild frosts (-3°C), it needs neutral to acid soils & is not
        tolerant to alkaline or calcareous soils.
        rather than copying "literally" Fukuoka, try to find the nitrogen fixing
        trees that best corresponds to ur climatic & soil conditions...
        2 leguminous trees -so far- are known not to fix nitrogen: the Gleditschia
        triacanthos & Ceratonia siliqua edulis..
        best wishes! emilia

        > Does anybody know the Botanical name of the Morishma Acacia named in
        > THE ONE STRAW REVOLUTON?

      • Jack Finefroc
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2002
          Wow! Thanks so much. Any opinion on the Black Locust as a nitrogen
          fixing substitute? Finefroc

          emilia wrote:

          > hi finefroc,
          > it seems that there is an spelling mistake & that it is actually the
          > acacia
          > "mollissima", (Acacia mearnsii, de Wild), also known as acacia
          > decurrens or
          > "black wattle", as it is with all true acacias it wont stand cold
          > climate
          > although it has more tolerence to cool winters than others & can even
          > stand
          > moderately mild frosts (-3°C), it needs neutral to acid soils & is not
          >
          > tolerant to alkaline or calcareous soils.
          > rather than copying "literally" Fukuoka, try to find the nitrogen
          > fixing
          > trees that best corresponds to ur climatic & soil conditions...
          > 2 leguminous trees -so far- are known not to fix nitrogen: the
          > Gleditschia
          > triacanthos & Ceratonia siliqua edulis..
          > best wishes! emilia

          [Click Here!]

        • barleymalt_spoon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 10:30 PM
            Gday from Tasmania.

            The black wattle is endemic to Tasmania, particularly the dryer areas
            (300-700mm/year). The tree is very responsive to fire (indeed any
            form of root damage) and produces suckers (as well as seed) liberally.

            A magnificent tree, however, I agree with Emilia to be careful with
            shifting species across continents (especially in the case of pioneer
            species). Black wattle can become very weedlike which in its native
            habitat is its greatest asset, but the rest of the world over is
            still locked in the mindset that weeds must die, and poisons,
            bulldozers etc are the result of nature greening itself.

            There are at least a dozen endemic acacias to Tasmania (and hundreds
            across australia) - all are spedific in their site prefence and also
            their biological succession values. I suspect that most bio regions
            across the globe will have a nitrogen fixer (or other forms of
            pioneer species, site specific) that can assume the regenerative role
            in the forest ecosystem. Be careful when you engage your mind (ie
            choosing to shift species at will)- and take full responsibility for
            your actions.

            Good luck with Greening

            Scott Bazely
            Tasmania