Re: [fukuoka_farming] tomatoes, cucumbers

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2006
      At 1:36 PM +0000 3/29/06, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >as far as tomatoes go, i love them too, doesn't everyone?!...
      >fukuoka-san, in his book on natural farming, mentioned that tomatoes,
      >along with cucumbers, have been over-hybridized to the point where
      >they cannot survive in the wild anymore, and must be babied...the late
      >great emilia hazilip, in her synergistic method, created permanent raised
      >beds for these types of kitchen vegetables in which one would add
      >mulch/compost to the surface of the ground and then plant the veggies
      >into this created and piled up soil. you are digging, but only into
      >this soft upper soil. this is the way i understand it, anyway. she was
      >a great disciple of manasobu fukuoka, and her method is explained in
      >the files of this group...
      >i hope that helps you...i think the fukuoka way is less about what
      >rules you should or should not do and more about the appreciation,
      >celebration and respect of nature and nature's abundance, and the
      >cultivation of true love and non-violence in us as individuals...
      >robin, your fellow worrier!

      Well said, Robin. Just a further word on the two vegies mentioned:

      Feral tomatoes are rather common even in cooler climates. They arise
      in compost areas and in the garden where compost has been spread
      containing rotted open-pollinated tomatoes, or from tomatoes left in
      place to rot at the close of the previous season. More often than
      not, they are true-to-type (although crosses certainly do occur in
      this manner). These volunteers usually sprout and reach flowering
      stage later than the pampered transplants, but often will overtake
      the pampered ones during the heat of early summer.

      Sometimes volunteer tomato vines will grow vigorously, but not set
      fruit. These are probably sterile out-crosses from F-1 hybrids.

      Tomato seeds can withstand the high heat of composting, in many
      cases, along with pumpkin, and Cannabis, so they have an advantage in
      becoming feral. When I lived in Seattle 30 years ago, the city
      sheet-composted the reclaimed site now known as Gasworks Park, using
      composted sewage sludge. That first summer, hundreds if not thousands
      of cherry-tomato vines grew out of that former sludge, and we
      neighbors grazed the patch as if picking wild berries!

      In warmer climates, if one leaves open-pollinated cucumber varieties
      on the ground to rot over the winter, volunteer seedlings can be
      expected by April or May. Years before Fukuoka, I had the privilege
      of observing the method of an old hermit named Albert Jones
      (1887-1978), who always left a number of cukes, carrots, onions, and
      other vegetables to reseed themselves; then performed a light tilling
      in April, turning up enough of the scattered seed to produce a large
      portion of the new year's garden! Masterful. Albert had a lot to
      teach, although the circumstances of his life limited his outreach as
      compared to Fukuoka. He did write and self-publish one inspirational
      book: "Gold Is Where You Find It" which I challenge anyone to find