Re: [fukuoka_farming] More danger?

  • Steve Gage
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2006
      BT Benjaminson wrote:
      > Steve,
      > Thanks for sharing that PO info on this list. I am currently working through
      > my deep shock at the PO information I've been obsessively collecting of
      > late, and am now getting set to establish an ecovillage with the intent of
      > weathering what might come by creating a fully sustainable, resiliant
      > community as quickly as possible. BTW I am continually advocating to my
      > group to forget about biodiesel etc. and use horses instead. They might
      > eventually get it.

      People really are in denial about PO, thinking that technology will bail
      us out with no change to the standard lifestyle. I don't think so. Your
      advice about horses is right on. In fact, I heat my house (cold winters
      in NH, USA) with wood that I cut on my land and pull to the woodshed
      with my big draft horse. There's a fair number of draft horse folks
      around here, and us relatively new people are trying hard to keep the
      knowledge alive.
      > Unfortunately, the existing community in which my group intends to buy land
      > (up to 4500 dunams/1000 acres) has been subject to agritorture for the last
      > 50 years and the soil is dead as dead can be.
      > Do you or does anyone else on this list know of really broadscale attempts
      > at using fukuokan methods to regenerate the productivity of that much land?
      > I recall some mention on this list of someone tossing millions of seed balls
      > out of airplanes. Can I rent an airplane that is normally used for crop
      > dusting? You betcha I actually could!

      Fukuoka has said that dumping huge quantities of seeds from airplanes is
      the way to go - he felt it was the only way to the coverage in time to
      put Earth back on an even keel...
      > What about using a cement mixer truck to mix up the seed balls? I am not
      > joking.
      > Do you know anyone who has combined fukuokan techniques (impurely)with other
      > regnerative ag/permaculture techniques such as swale building (also called
      > bunding) or net and pan? We're dealing with a semi-desert so I can imagine
      > seed balls will do much better if they land in swales than just anywhere.
      > Also how can a first planting of NFTs in a former wheat or potato field be
      > combined with seeding it? And we also have to be cautious of not
      > contaminating any remaining conventional fields with windblown "weed" seeds
      > from our regenerating fields.
      > Bat-Tzion Benjaminson
      > Negev, Israel

      Every place is so different. Every time one of us decides to apply
      Natural Farming to our land, it is a new thing, because it is a unique
      place. I think you will be answering a lot of your own questions as you
      go along :-) To me, Natural Farming is really a handful of simple but
      powerful ideas and attitudes - the application is something for me to
      work out. How many times have I confronted a problem of pests or weeds
      or something and said to myself "how would Fukuoka-san approach this?".
      That usually calms me down, and then I know what to "do". Growing
      vegetables in New Hampshire USA is, shall we say, a bit different from
      growing rice in Southern Japan :-)

      Good luck with your project!

      - Steve