Re: fukuoka on an allotment

  • witchessocks
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2006
      i do not speak with great authority based on my own experience. i,
      too, have considerable angst, not knowing if i am doing it
      right...but that's a good thing, i think. it sounds to me as if you
      have the right attitude for fukuoka natural farming....

      if you scatter your seedballs around the time the season's weeds are
      dying back and before the current season's weeds have had a chance to
      grow tall, at least some of your seeds will have a chance... if you
      throw them all over your land you will be able to observe over time
      which plants do better where. if you can gradually seed/ replace the
      taller weeds with shorter ones such as clover, that will help too over
      time...also, i remember fukuoka-san saying that at first you will have
      to use more seeds to cover the same area in order to get it
      started...then in the following seasons, you will be able to reduce
      the amount of seeds it takes.

      i think fukuoka did dig some, such as creating terraces and burying
      wood in trenches. these should be done by hand, not with machines such
      as bulldozers...

      in my own case, (this may be right or wrong, but i did it), i made
      some hedge rows to, over time, raise the bottom of my gradually
      sloping land to prevent erosion and run off down by the road. i have
      an old building which i am going to have to tear down on another part
      of the property that has a lot of rose of sharon seedlings clogged
      together in front of the building. i would have to remove these in
      order to remove the falling in building. so, i planted a thick
      hedgerow with these, not by digging a trench, but by digging
      individual holes in the hardpan area down by the road, and spreading
      out the seedlings. eventually, as they grow, i hope they will improve
      the soil here, as well as providing wildlife shelter and forage,
      privacy and holding in and conserving water. this cost me nothing
      except labor...(and i become stronger because of the labor!)...

      hedgerows can provide some of the same benefits as terraces, i believe...

      as far as tomatoes go, i love them too, doesn't everyone?!...
      fukuoka-san, in his book on natural farming, mentioned that tomatoes,
      along with cucumbers, have been over-hybridized to the point where
      they cannot survive in the wild anymore, and must be babied...the late
      great emilia hazilip, in her synergistic method, created permanent raised
      beds for these types of kitchen vegetables in which one would add
      mulch/compost to the surface of the ground and then plant the veggies
      into this created and piled up soil. you are digging, but only into
      this soft upper soil. this is the way i understand it, anyway. she was
      a great disciple of manasobu fukuoka, and her method is explained in
      the files of this group...

      i hope that helps you...i think the fukuoka way is less about what
      rules you should or should not do and more about the appreciation,
      celebration and respect of nature and nature's abundance, and the
      cultivation of true love and non-violence in us as individuals...

      robin, your fellow worrier!