Re: [fukuoka_farming] A newbie starting in New Zealand

  • William
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8 5:55 PM
      read www.seedballs.com
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Sue Martin-Smith" <suems@...>
      To: <fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 11:54 PM
      Subject: [fukuoka_farming] A newbie starting in New Zealand

      > Hello everyone. My name is Sue Martin-Smith, and I am about to embark
      > on a wonderful journey on my own 10 acres of Paradise here in Taranaki
      > (west of the North Island, New Zealand). I was reading up on organics,
      > permaculture etc, when I stumbled across one of Fukuoka's books in our
      > local library. The more I read, the more determined I became to give
      > this a go - he seemed to describe exactly what I want to achieve with
      > my own place.
      >
      > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several questions.
      >
      > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
      > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
      > be achieved in our climate.
      >
      > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
      > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be reading?
      >
      > Third, in looking for seeds etc, I notice that most of the fruit trees
      > for sale are grafted. This seems un-natural to me, so why do almost
      > everyone use them?? Apart from the time saved in buying trees already
      > several feet high, are there any advantages in growing from seed,
      > cuttings or seedlings?
      >
      > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
      > experiences.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      >
      > Sue MS.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • William
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8 5:55 PM
        > Hello everyone. My name is Sue Martin-Smith, and I am about to embark
        > on a wonderful journey on my own 10 acres of Paradise here in Taranaki
        > (west of the North Island, New Zealand). I was reading up on organics,
        > permaculture etc, when I stumbled across one of Fukuoka's books in our
        > local library. The more I read, the more determined I became to give
        > this a go - he seemed to describe exactly what I want to achieve with
        > my own place.
        >
        > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several questions.
        >
        > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
        > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
        > be achieved in our climate.
        >
        > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
        > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be reading?
        >
        > Third, in looking for seeds etc, I notice that most of the fruit trees
        > for sale are grafted. This seems un-natural to me, so why do almost
        > everyone use them?? Apart from the time saved in buying trees already
        > several feet high, are there any advantages in growing from seed,
        > cuttings or seedlings?
        >
        > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
        > experiences.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > Sue MS.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jonathan Santeramo
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8 7:11 PM
          My wife and I just spend 4 months in NZ wwoofing on different farms all over NZ. We would have loved to help you with your new farm. We've been organic growers in the past and I've read all of Fukuoka's books that are in english. Too bad we couldnt have met.

          A good resouce to consult about the health of you soil is the Soil Food Web lab located near Hamilton. They test and consult farmers and growers regarding the biology in their soil, compost and compost teas. If you going to use some science, they practice "good science". Good luck!

          Sue Martin-Smith <suems@...> wrote:
[...]

          Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

        • Sergio Montinola
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8 7:32 PM
            Dear William,

            I too am a Fukuoka fan and adapting Permaculture.

            My reply to your third question. Grafted fruit trees
            are a way of shortcutting the growth and fruiting of
            the trees. It is still natural if you do not apply
            chemicals or insecticides on the trees.

            Serge Montinola

            http://mail.yahoo.com