Re: A newbie starting in New Zealand

  • poojyum
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
      > > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several
      questions.

      > > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
      > > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
      > > be achieved in our climate.

      First thing is dont be afraid! Sow any kind of seed you can get your
      hands all over your property. Make seedballs and throw them around.
      Why not find out yourself what works and what doesnt? Dont worry about
      the results. Just sow seed. Constantly. Fukuoka himself says so in his
      book Road Back to Nature.

      > > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
      > > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be
      reading?

      http://www.seedballs.com/ may help. However, books are like drugs. You
      read one, you get inspired for a while, then it wears down and you
      need another shot and so on. More important is action. Go out and sow
      please!

      > > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
      > > experiences.

      Pleased to meet you.

      Even after reading all three Fukuoka books I descend into certain
      doubts whether the method would work etc etc. Gotta rub that off my
      mind and just...sow!

      Best wishes,

      Jagan.
    • William
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
        read www.seedballs.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
          > Hello everyone. My name is Sue Martin-Smith, and I am about to embark
          > on a wonderful journey on my own 10 acres of Paradise here in Taranaki
          > (west of the North Island, New Zealand). I was reading up on organics,
          > permaculture etc, when I stumbled across one of Fukuoka's books in our
          > local library. The more I read, the more determined I became to give
          > this a go - he seemed to describe exactly what I want to achieve with
          > my own place.
          >
          > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several questions.
          >
          > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
          > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
          > be achieved in our climate.
          >
          > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
          > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be reading?
          >
          > Third, in looking for seeds etc, I notice that most of the fruit trees
          > for sale are grafted. This seems un-natural to me, so why do almost
          > everyone use them?? Apart from the time saved in buying trees already
          > several feet high, are there any advantages in growing from seed,
          > cuttings or seedlings?
          >
          > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
          > experiences.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          >
          > Sue MS.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jonathan Santeramo
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
            My wife and I just spend 4 months in NZ wwoofing on different farms all over NZ. We would have loved to help you with your new farm. We've been organic growers in the past and I've read all of Fukuoka's books that are in english. Too bad we couldnt have met.

            A good resouce to consult about the health of you soil is the Soil Food Web lab located near Hamilton. They test and consult farmers and growers regarding the biology in their soil, compost and compost teas. If you going to use some science, they practice "good science". Good luck!

            Sue Martin-Smith <suems@...> wrote:
[...]

            Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

          • Sergio Montinola
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
              Dear William,

              I too am a Fukuoka fan and adapting Permaculture.

              My reply to your third question. Grafted fruit trees
              are a way of shortcutting the growth and fruiting of
              the trees. It is still natural if you do not apply
              chemicals or insecticides on the trees.

              Serge Montinola

              http://mail.yahoo.com