Re: [fukuoka_farming] A newbie starting in New Zealand

  • John Butler
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
      Dear Sue -

      I would also be interested in the results of your search. I am a newbie
      starting out in Mississippi this spring!

      Best of luck to you!

      Kind regards,

      John

      --
      John Butler
      Managing Director

    • poojyum
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
        > > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several
        questions.

        > > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
        > > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
        > > be achieved in our climate.

        First thing is dont be afraid! Sow any kind of seed you can get your
        hands all over your property. Make seedballs and throw them around.
        Why not find out yourself what works and what doesnt? Dont worry about
        the results. Just sow seed. Constantly. Fukuoka himself says so in his
        book Road Back to Nature.

        > > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
        > > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be
        reading?

        http://www.seedballs.com/ may help. However, books are like drugs. You
        read one, you get inspired for a while, then it wears down and you
        need another shot and so on. More important is action. Go out and sow
        please!

        > > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
        > > experiences.

        Pleased to meet you.

        Even after reading all three Fukuoka books I descend into certain
        doubts whether the method would work etc etc. Gotta rub that off my
        mind and just...sow!

        Best wishes,

        Jagan.
      • William
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
          read www.seedballs.com
          > Hello everyone. My name is Sue Martin-Smith, and I am about to embark
          > on a wonderful journey on my own 10 acres of Paradise here in Taranaki
          > (west of the North Island, New Zealand). I was reading up on organics,
          > permaculture etc, when I stumbled across one of Fukuoka's books in our
          > local library. The more I read, the more determined I became to give
          > this a go - he seemed to describe exactly what I want to achieve with
          > my own place.
          >
          > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several questions.
          >
          > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
          > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
          > be achieved in our climate.
          >
          > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
          > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be reading?
          >
          > Third, in looking for seeds etc, I notice that most of the fruit trees
          > for sale are grafted. This seems un-natural to me, so why do almost
          > everyone use them?? Apart from the time saved in buying trees already
          > several feet high, are there any advantages in growing from seed,
          > cuttings or seedlings?
          >
          > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
          > experiences.
          >
          > Kind regards,
          >
          > Sue MS.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • William
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
            > Hello everyone. My name is Sue Martin-Smith, and I am about to embark
            > on a wonderful journey on my own 10 acres of Paradise here in Taranaki
            > (west of the North Island, New Zealand). I was reading up on organics,
            > permaculture etc, when I stumbled across one of Fukuoka's books in our
            > local library. The more I read, the more determined I became to give
            > this a go - he seemed to describe exactly what I want to achieve with
            > my own place.
            >
            > However, as a complete novice to all of this, I have several questions.
            >
            > First, are there any "Fukuokans" (if there is such a word) in New
            > Zealand? I'd love to meet someone relatively local, and see what can
            > be achieved in our climate.
            >
            > Second, are there any "Idiot's Guide" type books I should get with
            > specifics on what to start with, etc? Any websites I should be reading?
            >
            > Third, in looking for seeds etc, I notice that most of the fruit trees
            > for sale are grafted. This seems un-natural to me, so why do almost
            > everyone use them?? Apart from the time saved in buying trees already
            > several feet high, are there any advantages in growing from seed,
            > cuttings or seedlings?
            >
            > I look forward to meeting you all online, and learning from your
            > experiences.
            >
            > Kind regards,
            >
            > Sue MS.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jonathan Santeramo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
              My wife and I just spend 4 months in NZ wwoofing on different farms all over NZ. We would have loved to help you with your new farm. We've been organic growers in the past and I've read all of Fukuoka's books that are in english. Too bad we couldnt have met.

              A good resouce to consult about the health of you soil is the Soil Food Web lab located near Hamilton. They test and consult farmers and growers regarding the biology in their soil, compost and compost teas. If you going to use some science, they practice "good science". Good luck!

[...]

              Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

            • Sergio Montinola
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2006
                Dear William,

                I too am a Fukuoka fan and adapting Permaculture.

                My reply to your third question. Grafted fruit trees
                are a way of shortcutting the growth and fruiting of
                the trees. It is still natural if you do not apply
                chemicals or insecticides on the trees.

                Serge Montinola

                http://mail.yahoo.com