Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 1114

  • Mark Moodie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2006
      Hi shane

      As Niels says, I think Mark worked his material out independently and then
      found it was compatible with some aspects of Fukuoka's work.

      There's a 'broad church' of people inspired by Fukuoka's work, a lot of
      which seems not to be too worried if one of the 4 grand precepts are
      transgressed; straight lines for some, random for others, some clearing for
      some, seeds into the rough grass for others.

      I think that Marc's work is inspirational, amongst other reasons because he
      was not too worried about what someone else had discovered - he relied on
      himself, worked 'outside the box' and developed something which he has
      shared freely. In that way he has honoured Fukuoka-San, not by imitation or
      adaptation, but by working in the same spirit.

      >> Message: 8

      >> From: Shane Morkin <s_morkin@...>
      >> Subject: Topographic maps & Harmonius Wheatsmith

      >> Secondly, I just finished reading ³Harmonius Wheatsmith,² by Marc Bonfils.
      >> The small book is supposed to be an explanation about how Mr. Bonfils
      >> adapted Fukuoka-san¹s farming method to France. However, his method does
      >> not use seed balls, instead he plants the wheat in rows by just placing the
      >> seeds on the surface of the earth. Also, if I understood correctly, he only
      >> plants clover and wheat‹there is no planting of rice or any other rotational
      >> crop.

      Any appropriate grain amongst a clover cover crop in amongst trees. The
      Bonfils method suggests - please try other things - an 14+ month cycle for
      the grain crops so there isn't really room for a catch crop in the rotation.

      >> Does anyone have contact with Mr. Bonfils?

      I have no contact details from Marc. The last I know he was working away on
      Bees. If you find him I would love to hear how things are going.

      >> As I am relatively close to him I
      >> would very much appreciate a meeting to find out if rice or another
      >> rotational crop can be planted as Fukuoka-san does. I¹m also interested in
      >> learning more about why Mr. Bonfils decided the wheat was more productive
      >> planted in rows so the plants would not compete against each other; whereas
      >> Fukuoka-san broadcasts his seed balls and the wheat grows as it would in the
      >> wild.

      I think Fukuoka tried many things and seed balls was just one of them. The
      geometrical spacing of Bonfils' plants has some sense in that it makes good
      use of the space whilst letting the plants have enough space. It is the bee
      nature and not the wild seed nature which is learned from here. Perhaps even
      a wild bee!