black wattle

  • maihki
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
      hi i have just been reading about the vertues of the black wattle
      acacia tree and having just bought 2 hectres of land in the south of
      france i am keen to find out where i can find soom seeds of this tree
      so i can get down to planting, can anyone help? so happy to find this
      sight.
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
        Hi Maihki,

        In some areas the black wattle is a great nitrogen fixer; in other areas, it may be a heavily-infested bug trap that you may wish you had never planted. In New Orleans, LA for example, the black wattle is not recommended by landscapers because it doesn't thrive and is so prone to disease. The same is true of the beautiful Japanese Mimosa; it is attacked by hoards of diseases, withers, and dies. (This kind of vulneralbility seems to change with generations; some very old people in New Orleans remember when the Mimosa used to thrive).

        You need to check with landscapers in your part of France before you grow wattle or any other nitrogen-fixing tree. Show them this list of over 650 nitrogen-fixing trees and ask them to make problem-free selections for your bioregion:

        http://www.winrock.org/forestry/factpub/nftlist.htm

        Some studies have shown the Tangan-Tangan and the Sesbania to produce high
        biomass, but these also will not thrive everywhere. (In desert areas, the mesquite does well, though it, like some other nitrogen-fixers, can become invasive.)

        Also keep in mind that even the best nitrogen-fixing trees offer considerable shade. which may offset their usefulness if you are growing sun-loving crops like yacon and sunchoke or most grains and veggies.

        An alternative to nitrogen-fixing trees is nitrogen-fixing shrubs (some of which look like little trees). The various eleagnus tree/shrubs such as cherry, autumn olive, "gumi" and the New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus americanus) plant are examples. These can be trimmed low so they don't block the sun but still fix substantial amounts of nitrogen.
        (I see in archive #5340 that Texas grasshoppers ate Gloria's eleagnus before they had a chance to grow.)

        Once you do find the "right" nitrogen-fixer for your region and crop selection (whether tree or shrub), your field will thank you for it! They do perennially perk up health and productivity.

        Bob Monie
        Zone 8 (Not quite the Twilight Zone after Katrina, but close!)
        New Orleans/River Ridge, LA
        USA

        maihki <maihki@...> wrote:
        hi i have just been reading about the vertues of the black wattle
        acacia tree and having just bought 2 hectres of land in the south of
        france i am keen to find out where i can find soom seeds of this tree
        so i can get down to planting, can anyone help? so happy to find this
        sight.

        Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

      • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
          in the pyrennees ( vallee de l'ariege) where i come from there is wild
          acacia trees that do very well i don't know if it is black wattle , they are
          grown to makes lasting fence posts.so should be easy to find seed in France
          it is allways preferable to rely on native species of the aera where you
          live to perform the different functions in a balanced ecosytem
          jean-claude
          > hi i have just been reading about the vertues of the black wattle
          > acacia tree and having just bought 2 hectres of land in the south of
          > france i am keen to find out where i can find soom seeds of this tree
          > so i can get down to planting, can anyone help? so happy to find this
          > sight.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jonathan Santeramo
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
            http://www.penyaseeds.com/tree-seeds/australian-acacias/black-wattle.htm

            http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_Detail~category~18~Product_ID~279.cfm

            I seached froogle and google for them. Best of luck with your new piece of land. I hear the South of France is kinda nice. ;)

            maihki <maihki@...> wrote:
            hi i have just been reading about the vertues of the black wattle
            acacia tree and having just bought 2 hectres of land in the south of
            france i am keen to find out where i can find soom seeds of this tree
            so i can get down to planting, can anyone help? so happy to find this
            sight.

            Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

          • Shane Morkin
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2006
              I have two subjects I wanted to ask the group about today: how to make a
              topographic map and opinions on the book ³Harmonius Wheatsmith.²

              I have 2500m2 of land 60km south of Paris, France that I just bought. For
              agricultural purposes, this is a small piece of land‹but I hope to grow as
              much of my own food there as possible by farming in a natural way. To start
              a survey of the land I want to make a topographical map. I thought I would
              use a ³Bunyip² hose level that I read about on page 232-233 of Bill
              Mollison¹s Permaculture book to map the contour lines. If anyone has any
              experience making topographical maps of land using this hose and water level
              or any other more sophisticated level I would appreciate your advice or tips
              for success.

              Secondly, I just finished reading ³Harmonius Wheatsmith,² by Marc Bonfils.
              The small book is supposed to be an explanation about how Mr. Bonfils
              adapted Fukuoka-san¹s farming method to France. However, his method does
              not use seed balls, instead he plants the wheat in rows by just placing the
              seeds on the surface of the earth. Also, if I understood correctly, he only
              plants clover and wheat‹there is no planting of rice or any other rotational
              crop.

              Does anyone have contact with Mr. Bonfils? As I am relatively close to him I
              would very much appreciate a meeting to find out if rice or another
              rotational crop can be planted as Fukuoka-san does. I¹m also interested in
              learning more about why Mr. Bonfils decided the wheat was more productive
              planted in rows so the plants would not compete against each other; whereas
              Fukuoka-san broadcasts his seed balls and the wheat grows as it would in the
              wild.

              Best Regards,
              Shane

              PS‹in an attempt to avoid repeating questions or dialogue I tried searching
              through the groups previous posts using the key words ³topographic map² and
              ³harmonius wheatsmith.² However, yahoo.groups gave me the following error
              :²Your search timed out before any results matching your search were found.²
              I believe another member mentioned paying to have a better listbot service
              to host the group. I feel this is a good time for me to say that I would be
              willing to help pay for such services if someone in the group has the
              computer skills to guide the rest of us through selecting and using such a
              service.

            • Berin Erturk
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2006
                re: "Harmonius Wheatsmith"
                I don't have an answer to your question but what Mr Bonfil does seems more than just "an adoption." He may not feel the need to make seedballs if birds and insects do not eat the seeds and weather conditions permit germination easily in his region. But the only advantage of planting in rows seems easy harvesting whereas it has many disadvantages (like making plants more vulnerable to insects and diseases.)
                I guess the third crop is the problem for most of us. wheat + clower + ???? The only crop that is similar to rice concerning growing period is corn. (I don't feel like trying corn because I am in a region of industrial corn growers and GMO contamination is a risk)
                If you can find any alternative crops pls let us know. BTW your land is big enough even for a large family. 400 square meters will be sufficient for vegetables.
                Good luck farming,
                Berin Erturk
                Jade Farm,
                Turkey

                Shane Morkin <s_morkin@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Niels
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 16, 2006
                  Hi,

                  The systems of Bonfils were developed independantely of Fuokoka. I
                  believe it was not until he presented his work to the Permaculture
                  community that he became aware of this fact.
                  I have made attempts to contact him, even as far as talking with Mark
                  Moodie, the author of Harm Wheatsmith.
                  The text for this book came from translations by Emilia Hazelip, now
                  deceased.
                  As for further ideas, perhaprs contact Permaculture Pyrenee, and let us
                  know how you get on, please.

                  Regards,
                  Niels
                  nocompost.blogspot.com