Re: difference in urine

  • Jim Bones
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2006
      There is definitely a difference in male and female urine. My wife was
      a hand spinner and weaver and she dyed yarns with vegetable dyes. One
      of the mordant formulas called for the urine of young males. There is
      definitely a difference between the two due to the different hormones
      and metabolic by-products of each sex. It is not sexist it is scientific!

      Jim Bones
      ----------------------

      ziraat@... wrote:

      > Hello Kate,
      >
      > A classic English recipe for urine is: dilute to 32 parts water to 1 part
      > urine. Male, female, isn't specified but the version you received sounds
      > superstitious to me, maybe sexist.
      >
      > How to apply: you can use a watering can, or a foliar spray. In the latter
      > case, obviously don't apply to edible leaves/fruit directly anytime
      > shortly
      > before consuming the produce. Not that urine is 'bad' for you--some yogis
      > and others have used it as a tonic (full of minerals, for example) and
      > there are many cases of people surviving by drinking urine while
      > trapped in
      > snowstorms or vehicle accidents for many days.
      >
      > Simplest method I know is: urinate right into a one-gallon watering can,
      > then add water. If you want to be true to the recipe, find out how many
      > ounces to your 'average' urination (it will be just a few ounces) by using
      > a measuring cup. So if you usually expel four ounces, perfect--just fill
      > the one-gallon can to the brim, and head for the garden!
      >
      > -Forest Shomer

      > From: "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...>
      > Subject: As an aside...
      >
      > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
      > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
      >
      > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine will
      > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me why?
      >
      > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic substance.
      >
      > Any knowledge on this subject?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > a blushing,
      > kate

      > http://mail2web.com/ .

    • Alfredo
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
        If I were to use human urine, I would put it in the compost rather
        than directly to soil. I do not know what Fakuoka San would
        recomend. Another list I belong to named soilmakers, has many posts
        on this subject. If you are interested in soil and compost, the site
        is very good.
        Take care
        Dominguez
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jim Bones <jimbones@...>
        wrote:

        > There is definitely a difference in male and female urine. My wife
        was
        > a hand spinner and weaver and she dyed yarns with vegetable dyes.
        One
        > of the mordant formulas called for the urine of young males. There
        is
        > definitely a difference between the two due to the different
        hormones
        > and metabolic by-products of each sex. It is not sexist it is
        scientific!

        > Jim Bones
        > ----------------------
        >
        > ziraat@... wrote:
        >
        > > Hello Kate,
        > >
        > > A classic English recipe for urine is: dilute to 32 parts water
        to 1 part
        > > urine. Male, female, isn't specified but the version you received
        sounds
        > > superstitious to me, maybe sexist.
        > >
        > > How to apply: you can use a watering can, or a foliar spray. In
        the latter
        > > case, obviously don't apply to edible leaves/fruit directly
        anytime
        > > shortly
        > > before consuming the produce. Not that urine is 'bad' for you--
        some yogis
        > > and others have used it as a tonic (full of minerals, for
        example) and
        > > there are many cases of people surviving by drinking urine while
        > > trapped in
        > > snowstorms or vehicle accidents for many days.
        > >
        > > Simplest method I know is: urinate right into a one-gallon
        watering can,
        > > then add water. If you want to be true to the recipe, find out
        how many
        > > ounces to your 'average' urination (it will be just a few ounces)
        by using
        > > a measuring cup. So if you usually expel four ounces, perfect--
        just fill
        > > the one-gallon can to the brim, and head for the garden!
        > >
        > > -Forest Shomer

        > > From: "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...>
        > > Subject: As an aside...
        > >
        > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
        > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
        > >
        > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
        will
        > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
        why?

        > > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
        substance.

        > > Any knowledge on this subject?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > a blushing,
        > > kate

        > > http://mail2web.com/ .

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        ------

      • rajutitus lal
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
          Dear friend,
          When fukuoka was in Gandhi Ashram he was explaining making of seed balls.At that time I made a Quistion about mixing of cow dung and urine in clay for making seed balls,he rejected and told that be careful with human knowledge.In initially I was also using chiken manure later realised that no need to mix any thing with clay.clay is having so many useful microbes.-Raju

          wrote:

          > There is definitely a difference in male and female urine. My wife
          was
          > a hand spinner and weaver and she dyed yarns with vegetable dyes.
          One
          > of the mordant formulas called for the urine of young males. There
          is
          > definitely a difference between the two due to the different
          hormones
          > and metabolic by-products of each sex. It is not sexist it is
          scientific!

          > Jim Bones
          > ----------------------
          >
          > ziraat@... wrote:
          >
          > > Hello Kate,
          > >
          > > A classic English recipe for urine is: dilute to 32 parts water
          to 1 part
          > > urine. Male, female, isn't specified but the version you received
          sounds
          > > superstitious to me, maybe sexist.
          > >
          > > How to apply: you can use a watering can, or a foliar spray. In
          the latter
          > > case, obviously don't apply to edible leaves/fruit directly
          anytime
          > > shortly
          > > before consuming the produce. Not that urine is 'bad' for you--
          some yogis
          > > and others have used it as a tonic (full of minerals, for
          example) and
          > > there are many cases of people surviving by drinking urine while
          > > trapped in
          > > snowstorms or vehicle accidents for many days.
          > >
          > > Simplest method I know is: urinate right into a one-gallon
          watering can,
          > > then add water. If you want to be true to the recipe, find out
          how many
          > > ounces to your 'average' urination (it will be just a few ounces)
          by using
          > > a measuring cup. So if you usually expel four ounces, perfect--
          just fill
          > > the one-gallon can to the brim, and head for the garden!
          > >
          > > -Forest Shomer

          > > From: "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...>
          > > Subject: As an aside...
          > >
          > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
          > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
          > >
          > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
          will
          > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
          why?

          > > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
          substance.

          > > Any knowledge on this subject?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > a blushing,
          > > kate

          > > http://mail2web.com/ .

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          ------

          Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

        • Robert Monie
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 14, 2006
            Hi,

            Animal products are not necessary at all to farming. The Fukuoka living mulch of Dutch clovers does not need cow (chicken, duck, fish, horse, or human) dung, urine, blood, or bone. It will work perfectly well in a vegan setting. More conventional organic farmers, such as F. Scott Nearing and Elliot Coleman, have proven that fields can be made fertile for decades if not centuries, with no loading of animal products. Mr. Nearing lived to be 101, and for most of that time, he ate food he produced with no animal manure input. See him talking about this "Food Without Animal Residue," in an article about his 1953 prize from the World Vegetarian Congress: http://www.ivu.org/congress/wvc53/texts.html. For almost 20 years now, Elliot Coleman (who farms the same land that Nearing once did) has grown superb organic vegetables on vegan compost; he received a grant a few years ago to explore this subject. If you want to add any kind of amendment, vegan ones like alfalfa meal and molasses,
            will be sufficient.

            There are many ways to get food to grow. European immigrants like the Amish and the Mennonites used horse manure because that is the way their ancestors taught them and it pragmatically worked. Chinese famers use human manure and urine because that is the way their ancestors did it. Nearing and Coleman happened on to another of nature's ways that does not require animal input..

            Who can count the ways of nature? Fukuoka is right to say that they are beyond knowing. A few hours after the bomb dropped at Hiroshima, lichen grew near "ground zero." So nature transformed ground zero into something more than zero--into zero plus life. Who or what "manured" on the bomb site to make this possible? What animal has first to manure on the ground before forests will grow? Vegetal life needs no animal input; vegetal life preceded animal life on this Earth and made animal life possible. Vegetal life has priority in the scheme of things. French botanist Francis Halle sets the record straight on this in his book "In Praise of Plants" (Timber Press 2002)-- a classic and a delight to read.

            Bob Monie
            Zone 8
            Watching the Supice tomatoes still growing in February--on clover culture above 26-inch high unmanured raised beds. No chicken, no duck, no horses and cows, just plant biomass, clovers, and tomatoes. The right microbes will come without the animal "bait" to lure them.

            wrote:

            > There is definitely a difference in male and female urine. My wife
            was
            > a hand spinner and weaver and she dyed yarns with vegetable dyes.
            One
            > of the mordant formulas called for the urine of young males. There
            is
            > definitely a difference between the two due to the different
            hormones
            > and metabolic by-products of each sex. It is not sexist it is
            scientific!

            > Jim Bones
            > ----------------------
            >
            > ziraat@... wrote:
            >
            > > Hello Kate,
            > >
            > > A classic English recipe for urine is: dilute to 32 parts water
            to 1 part
            > > urine. Male, female, isn't specified but the version you received
            sounds
            > > superstitious to me, maybe sexist.
            > >
            > > How to apply: you can use a watering can, or a foliar spray. In
            the latter
            > > case, obviously don't apply to edible leaves/fruit directly
            anytime
            > > shortly
            > > before consuming the produce. Not that urine is 'bad' for you--
            some yogis
            > > and others have used it as a tonic (full of minerals, for
            example) and
            > > there are many cases of people surviving by drinking urine while
            > > trapped in
            > > snowstorms or vehicle accidents for many days.
            > >
            > > Simplest method I know is: urinate right into a one-gallon
            watering can,
            > > then add water. If you want to be true to the recipe, find out
            how many
            > > ounces to your 'average' urination (it will be just a few ounces)
            by using
            > > a measuring cup. So if you usually expel four ounces, perfect--
            just fill
            > > the one-gallon can to the brim, and head for the garden!
            > >
            > > -Forest Shomer

            > > From: "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...>
            > > Subject: As an aside...
            > >
            > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
            > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
            > >
            > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
            will
            > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
            why?

            > > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
            substance.

            > > Any knowledge on this subject?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > a blushing,
            > > kate

            > > http://mail2web.com/ .

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            ------

            Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

            Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

          • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2006
              i am not a proponent of abondant use of mammal manure but i would like to
              adress a missconception .
              there is no such thing as vegan farming .
              it will be discounting the necessarry functions and roles met by the
              microfauna, worms , insects , spiders , reptiles amphibians ,birds , small
              mammals who live and die in any garden .
              bigger mammals are also necessarry element of any ecosystem even in the form
              of periodic short visit. many plant will welcome any shit and pee they could
              leave on their way , they will also takes advantage of increased fertility
              left by the decaying body of animals or the physical tracks made by them (
              pigs chickens and alike )

              many seeds sprout better after being thru an animal digestive sytem .
              both plants and animals are interdependant with each other at many level .we
              could even say they are the two faces of a same coin . like male and female
              they makes one .

              jean-claude

            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 15, 2006
                Hi Jean Claude,

                Everything is relative, including the vegan diet and vegan farming.

                Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a vegan diet because non-vegetal microbes are always on any food we eat,. Yet people who never eat animal flesh or animal milk have to come up with some name to describe their diet, and vegan is as good as any other.

                The term vegan farming (as I use it) means that the farmer does not deliberately put animal parts or excreta into the soil. Of course small animals like squirrels and birds will come into the garden and dig and peck and excrete into it, but they also do the same to fields that are composted with animal parts, making the sum total of those farms much more dependent on animal products. A vegan farm will have much less involvement with animal parts and products than a non-vegan one, but of course there will be earthworms, insects, microbes, etc that are not vegan.

                Vegan farms are different from non-vegan ones--enough to justify using the terms even if they are not precise. Go to an Amish farm and you see horse manure spread all over; it has a distinctive odor and appearance; you can see the vapors rising from the manure and, if you aren't careful, you can step on it and have to wipe the stuff off your boots. Vegan farms smell and look different; they have more of flowery aroma and about the stickest, gooeyest thing you might step in is beet molasses. Animal manure farms require the importation (or live-in availability) of horses, cows, ducks, chickens, etc or their products. Vegan farms do not, since all the animal workers (birds,squirrels, bees, earthworms, microbes) find their way there on their own!

                Vegan farms are also different in the responses other farmers give to them: "You mean to tell me that you farm this land without animal manure, fish parts, blood or bonemeal. How do you do it?" If vegan farms look so different to non-vegan farmers, I'd say they really are different.

                Also to "push the envelope," it is possible to aeroponically grow vegetables in pure plant extracts indoors, away from all animals except the tinyest microbes.

                Best wishes,

                Bob Monie