Fukuoka's Speech in India

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hi Allan,

      Fukuoka delivered what was apparently a blockbuster speech "The Greatest Mistakes of Mankind" on Oct 2, 2003 in India. [see google.com and search for
      "The Indus Telegraph Swaminathan Pays Lip Service to Fukuoka" click on the first listed entry].
      It attracted so many listeners that it had to be moved outside the International Center. Active members of the Fukuoka list were very much aware of Fukuoka's visit to India; if you search the archives for 2003 you will see plans to present Fukuoka with a gift of seeds in the name of the Fukuoka web site. List members repeatedly inquired as to the possibility of transcribing his speech or later buying a videotape--all to no avail.

      At least 2 members of the list reportedly attended the event but never posted any extensive commentary. Since then, the contents of the speech have remained shrouded in mystery. I have never seen or heard of a reference to an audio recording, print transcription, or videotape of Fukuoka's speech. Attendees remain oddly silent. Perhaps it was intended to be, like a mushroom, an ephemeral event?

      I, like you, would cherish the chance to recover even a fragment of "The Greatest Mistakes of Mankind." If you hear of any leads please let me know.

      Bob Monie
      Zone 8
      River Ridge/New Orleans, LA

    • Allan Balliett
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2006
        But what can we make of this? This was not an isolated event. It was
        part of a series, apparently sponsored by a non-profit founded by
        Vendan Shiva. The speech was part of the Sir Albert Howard Memorail
        Lectures, or something similar to that. Shiva's lecture, which I
        think came the year after Fukuoka spoke, appears many places. Francis
        Moore Lappe spoke more recently. Her speech is on the web a few
        places as well.

        I have written the Shiva people and have never received a reply.

        It is strange.

        Very Strange.

        Anyone who gets any leads, please contact me at
        info@... as soon as you can.

        Thanks!

        -Allan