growing food among grasses fukuoka style

  • Calin A. Radulescu
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 30, 2006
      this is one of those topics that comes back every once in a while.
      actually i tried once growing food among grasses with some success.
      this is what i learned from that experience :

      1- you will have to weaken the grass mat somehow. either mow it
      really low, flood it or cover it with carboard etc. for a while, but don't
      kill it though

      2- you will have more success with plants that have a strong root
      system and will put up a fight with the grass, like rye or dikon radish
      or rice ( with the right rainfall) than with corn or egplants, unless you
      want to break the grass mat for them

      3- your soil needs to be in a pretty good shape, as the grass will compete
      for nutrients with the plants that you're trying to grow.

      4- be observant, aware of what's going on. the season needs to be right
      for the plants that you're growing. the seedballs need ground contact to
      germinate , etc.

      just my 0.02$
      good luck,

      a.

      On Dec 16, 2005, at 12:03 AM, <buttahfly@...> wrote:

      > Last winter I threw out a few pounds of barley, wheat, spelt, and
      > kamut to
      > see if anything would happen. I have not seen anything come out of the
      > grasses that were already there

    • diebrand
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 2, 2006
        Calin,

        This sounds like very good advice. I could have saved a lot of
        seeds, had I known this 5 months ago. Well, I have had to learn the
        hard way. Of the cereals I tried, rye really seems to do a lot
        better in an existing stand of grass, than wheat or others for
        example.

        Thanks for sharing your experience.

        Dieter

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Calin A. Radulescu"
        <crandrei@...> wrote:

        > this is one of those topics that comes back every once in a
        while.
        > actually i tried once growing food among grasses with some
        success.
        > this is what i learned from that experience :
        >
        > 1- you will have to weaken the grass mat somehow. either mow
        it
        > really low, flood it or cover it with carboard etc. for a
        while, but don't
        > kill it though
        >
        > 2- you will have more success with plants that have a strong
        root
        > system and will put up a fight with the grass, like rye or
        dikon radish
        > or rice ( with the right rainfall) than with corn or
        egplants, unless you
        > want to break the grass mat for them
        >
        > 3- your soil needs to be in a pretty good shape, as the grass
        will compete
        > for nutrients with the plants that you're trying to grow.
        >
        > 4- be observant, aware of what's going on. the season needs to
        be right
        > for the plants that you're growing. the seedballs need ground
        contact to
        > germinate , etc.
        >
        > just my 0.02$
        > good luck,
        >
        > a.
        >

        > On Dec 16, 2005, at 12:03 AM, <buttahfly@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Last winter I threw out a few pounds of barley, wheat, spelt,
        and
        > > kamut to
        > > see if anything would happen. I have not seen anything come
        out of the
        > > grasses that were already there

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------

      • Niels
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hi,

          Would like to talk more about this topic.
          Care to elaborate on the experience you have had?
          What region are you in?
          Timings for cutting or cardboard usage?
          What is your ongoing management regime? Cutting? Reseeding?
          How does the grass come back in subsequent seasons?
          Any pics?
          What about seedball production? Method, seed types/mixes etc.

          Tell us everything!!..............please.

          N*
          http://del.icio.us/entrailer
          http://nocompost.blogspot.com/

          Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

          > this is one of those topics that comes back every once in a while.
          > actually i tried once growing food among grasses with some success.
          > this is what i learned from that experience :
          >
          > 1- you will have to weaken the grass mat somehow. either mow it
          > really low, flood it or cover it with carboard etc. for a while,
          > but don't
          > kill it though
          >
          > 2- you will have more success with plants that have a strong root
          > system and will put up a fight with the grass, like rye or dikon
          > radish
          > or rice ( with the right rainfall) than with corn or egplants,
          > unless you
          > want to break the grass mat for them
          >
          > 3- your soil needs to be in a pretty good shape, as the grass will
          > compete
          > for nutrients with the plants that you're trying to grow.
          >
          > 4- be observant, aware of what's going on. the season needs to be
          > right
          > for the plants that you're growing. the seedballs need ground
          > contact to
          > germinate , etc.
          >
          > just my 0.02$
          > good luck,
          >
          > a.
          >

          > On Dec 16, 2005, at 12:03 AM, <buttahfly@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Last winter I threw out a few pounds of barley, wheat, spelt, and
          > > kamut to
          > > see if anything would happen. I have not seen anything come out of the
          > > grasses that were already there

          > ---------------------------------

        • Steve Gage
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2006
            I do not mean this to be provocative or anything, but how is laying down
            cardboard "natural"? I'm not saying it's "wrong", or "bad", but it
            doesn't seem to be tangent to Fukuoka's ideas at all. "Ongoing
            management regime"? Are we drifting back to thinking that we understand
            what's going on, and can micromanage it? Again, if that's your game,
            fine, but it's not Fukuoka Farming (see mail list title).

            - Steve

            PS - some of Fukuoka's practices didn't seem all that tangent to
            Fukuoka's ideas either, so please don't take this too harshly :-)

          • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2006
              when i first started natural farming ,i started in a field that have been
              hayed for many years without any input from the outside . i fenced 2 acres
              from the 15 acres meadow he rest kept going like before , it gave me a good
              comparaison of the evolution of the flora over time .
              couch grass was the dominant with wild carot , few clover here and there (
              red tall and white short). to start grain or vegetables sowing i cut the
              grass in a wide aera and mulched with it beds thick enough to shut down the
              grass underneath. planted potatoes on the sod underneath the mulch or wited
              for the mulch to decompose before sowing .
              in the fall of the first year harvesting potatoes left a bed bared of grass
              and sow corn salad and other greens growing in the winter allways mulching
              very thick the sides of the beds to stop the grass of the trails to encroach
              on the vegetables .
              i also on a 10 metres by 10 meters square, in spring, sowed grains then cut
              the patch of canary grass ( mostly) very very short ( with a scythe) and
              left the hay on top . it worked good enough ( poorly if it was to harvest )
              for the plants to manage to makes seeds .
              i decided to not harvest and see what happens . during the winter for sure
              the grass came back and in the spring no grains sprouted and grew . i have
              the feeling that if i had sowed winter plants capable to takes over the
              grass it might have worked .

              in my actual situation i barelly have to deal with grass because i am in
              the forest .
              this experience is from the west coast of canada ( wet winters dry summer ,
              mild temperature year round ) in winter vegetation doesn't stop
              jean-claude

            • Calin A. Radulescu
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                Hello Niels,
                Hello Group,

                This was an experiment that I did a few years ago. Basically I was
                trying to grow food in my backyard, at first using regular gardening,
                then learned about natural farming and read "One straw revolution".
                I am in the Pacific Northwest, Washington State, right by the
                Cascade Mtn. foothills, zone 8a, very rainy and cloudy in winter.
                The rain and cloud cover season is from October to June. So I knew
                it already that the soil in my backyard is poor and acidic, and is too
                dark as there are a few big cedar and fir trees in the neighbour's yard.
                The grass cover is regular lawn grass mixed with native weeds and
                some white clover.
                I figured that to grow better crops, the soil was in need of some
                improvement and looked into using mulching and growing my own
                compost crops (green manure). The problem with that approach is
                that around here we have lots of slugs that will eat everything; the
                heavy mulching technique is out of the question as you cannot see
                what is going on undernith the mulch. Some light mulching and hand
                picking may help. So I tried to throw in some rye and clover seed and
                of course the slugs and birds got it before they even had a chance to
                sprout. Then I read some more and figured that mowing the grass as
                low as i can may help weaken it enough to grow rye. Basically this is
                about timing; you're trying to give the seeds that you're growing a good
                chance before the grass and weeds grow back . Then some time after
                the heaviest of the winter storms have gone, I mowed the grass again,
                and covered most of the area with cardboard for about a week or so.
                In the meantime i mixed some clay with water and rye, white dutch
                clover and some daikon radish and canola seeds in a plastic bucket,
                then rolled that dough into little " sausagges " , shaped them into balls
                and let them dry out for a few days out of the rain. By that time the
                cardboard already did the job so i picked it up, toghether with most of
                the slugs and spread the seedballs on the ground. They cannot be
                " floating " on top of the grass cuttings, they need ground contact to
                sprout so I raked the area in the places where i saw this happening.
                In the he next weeks i was really doing nothing, just watching the rye
                grow. It turned out ok, waist high or even higher at some spots, too
                thin i guess, but again this was in a dark place with a poor soil. The
                clover and the brassicas didn't grow that good; I guess it wasn't
                the right timing for them, they may like less rain and some higher
                temperatures (or maybe the slugs just got them).
                I still think this was a good experience, even if there wasn't too much
                food that came out of it as such. Already i see a few ways that it can
                be improved. One thing that comes to mind is finding a summer cereal
                that grows good with less rainfall, maybe millet or sorghum. Another
                thing would be killing some of the grass each year and replacing that
                with clovers or some other legume. And of course, getting a better yard.
                Now is this natural farming ? Probably not, as there is still some nature
                control in it, but so is flooding the field. As I look at it there isn't 100%
                pure natural farming besides hunting and gathering, all other are just
                ways to grow food with the least ammount of interference, which is still
                a wish to bend nature to the human will.

                Many thanks to everyone, give it a try in your field, it works !
                And please share your experience with us !

                a.

              • Calin A. Radulescu
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 7, 2006
                  Dieter,