making seedballs

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
      Those of you who may be considering making seedballs may find some
      of the following useful...

      We started with 6.75 lbs. of seeds (@300 varieties of vegetables,
      herbs and flowers) which worked out to @ 15 cups of seeds.

      We used the ratio by volume of 1 part seeds to 3 parts dry sifted
      compost to 5 parts dry powdered red clay.

      We did it in batches of 1 or 2 cups of seeds at a time. 2 adults
      can do a 1-cup batch from start to cleanup in about 1 hour working
      at a comfortable and conversational pace.

      We used a large steel mixing bowl. First the compost, then the seeds,
      mix them up then add the clay a cup at a time mixing as you go.
      It has a nice tactile feel to it that kids really enjoy. Finally,
      add water SPARINGLY. It is too easy to get too much water and wind
      up with a muck that is hard to make into seedballs. Never did measure
      exactly how much water to use, just got good at it after the first
      couple of batchs. You can always add more water if you first mix
      it too dry,, but it is a real pain to have to mix a partial batch
      just to get the mixture less mucky.

      We found that when adding/mixing in the water it was helpful to wear
      a rubber glove. If you don't your hand(s) get covered with the mixture
      and makes it hard/very messy to make seedballs. When you have it
      all mixed properly you can then work with your bare hands. We found
      that one person cutting seedball-sized bits from a big hunk with
      a butter knife while the other person rolls the bits into balls works
      the best/fastest/least messy.

      I've taken some photos of the process and will eventually post them
      on my website along with on-going looks at the garden/jungle as it
      develops. When I finally get the time to scan and post them I'll
      let you all know.

      Hope this is of some use to some of you. Any suggestions/improvements
      are always welcome.

      Larry Haftl
      www.larryhaftl.com
    • perfect_japanese_dream
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
        Hey anyone making seedballs should be congragulated because they
        have actually taken action after encountering fukuoka's information.

        When I make seedballs I always use red clay because from what I
        understand, red clay was the first soil on earth and it has all of
        the essential nutrients a plant needs. That's what I heard.

        I roll the clay out with a rolling pin. Then I put it on a metal
        tray with a hot desk lamp to shine down on the clay. Then I
        purchased a food blender from the GOODWILL ( sedcond hand store) and
        after it's hard/dry, I grind up the clay into a powder. [ Probably,
        there is something better to use than a food blender-- does anyone
        have something that can grind bigger loads of clay?] Then I store
        all of the powder in big zip lock freezer bags and I pass it out to
        my friends---lazy bastards!

        I also have some bags of peat moss lying around. I just mix water
        peatmoss and seeds to make seedballs whenever I have extra time. I
        have really been trying hard to find a method to mass produce
        seedballs, I am thinking a paint or cement mixer!!!!!!!
      • Okinori Taniguchi
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2005
          The word "congragulated" in below sentences is not in a certain dictionary,
          but it is used in many web pages if search by Google.
          What does it mean? Is it the same as "congratulated"?

          Okinori

          At 22:01 05/01/30 +0000, you wrote:

          >Hey anyone making seedballs should be congragulated because they
          >have actually taken action after encountering fukuoka's information.
          >
          >When I make seedballs I always use red clay because from what I
          >understand, red clay was the first soil on earth and it has all of
          >the essential nutrients a plant needs. That's what I heard.
          >
          >I roll the clay out with a rolling pin. Then I put it on a metal
          >tray with a hot desk lamp to shine down on the clay. Then I
          >purchased a food blender from the GOODWILL ( sedcond hand store) and
          >after it's hard/dry, I grind up the clay into a powder. [ Probably,
          >there is something better to use than a food blender-- does anyone
          >have something that can grind bigger loads of clay?] Then I store
          >all of the powder in big zip lock freezer bags and I pass it out to
          >my friends---lazy bastards!
          >
          >I also have some bags of peat moss lying around. I just mix water
          >peatmoss and seeds to make seedballs whenever I have extra time. I
          >have really been trying hard to find a method to mass produce
          >seedballs, I am thinking a paint or cement mixer!!!!!!!
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gerald Whitehawk
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
            it's a mistake.