Re: As an aside...

  • torskel87
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
      Katherine
      You can use both female and male urine for thr plants, you have to
      accumalate at least 10 litters, put some sugar in it so it ferments
      faster, after of like 15 days it will be stinking, and you can use
      it, you must disolve 1 of thisfermented urine in 10 of water, and it
      will help a lot to the plants.Urine is not in anyway a toxic
      product, now its even used for healing many illness drinking it.
      Urine is the bless of the heaven it is so usefull.
      vic

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine T."
      <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:

      > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
      > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
      >
      > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
      will
      > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
      why?

      > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
      substance.

      > Any knowledge on this subject?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > a blushing,
      > kate

    • pollywog
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2006
        No need to be embarrassed. Pee on!

        Unless you drink a ponykeg a day and have the resultant toxins and such, have
        serious (I mean, lethal point) hormonal or other menstrual imbalances, or are voiding
        on an extremely tiny plot (like a 1-gallon bucket?), there is not a way you are going to
        overload your soil's abiltiy to utilize your urine.

        If you are at certain times in the menstrual or perimenopausal cycle, you may want to
        stay away from rutting 4-leggeds like bulls or stud horses, or perhaps the occasional
        lonely dog. Aside from that, there is no toxic, unsavory, unhealthful, or otherwise
        unwanted constituents to your urine beyond those of any other person- gender
        notwithstanding.

        Urine is't exaclty anhydrous nitrogen- unless you have boku output that would put a
        frat house to shame, there is no need to store or otherwise "mellow" it. Pour it out,
        and let Mom Earth deal. She knows what she's doing.

        No toxins? No time? No worries. deb

        > --- "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:
        >
        > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
        > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil
        > > ammendment?
        > >
        > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that
        > > female urine will
        > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can
        > > anyone tell me why?

      • Connie Kuramoto
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
          I love your response....right on...but is it organic? LOL
          Connie kurmoto

          Unless you drink a ponykeg a day and have the resultant toxins and
          such, have serious (I mean, lethal point) hormonal or other menstrual
          imbalances, or are voiding on an extremely tiny plot (like a 1-gallon
          bucket?), there is not a way you are going to overload your soil's
          abiltiy to utilize your urine.

          If you are at certain times in the menstrual or perimenopausal cycle,
          you may want to stay away from rutting 4-leggeds like bulls or stud
          horses, or perhaps the occasional lonely dog. Aside from that, there is
          no toxic, unsavory, unhealthful, or otherwise unwanted constituents to
          your urine beyond those of any other person- gender notwithstanding.

          Urine is't exaclty anhydrous nitrogen- unless you have boku output that
          would put a frat house to shame, there is no need to store or otherwise
          "mellow" it. Pour it out, and let Mom Earth deal. She knows what she's
          doing.

          No toxins? No time? No worries. deb

          > --- "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:
          >
          > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
          > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
          > >
          > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine will
          > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
          > > why?

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Sergio Montinola
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
            Nothing can be more organic than human axcrement.

            Serge M.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Connie Kuramoto
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
              Doesn't it depend on what the human is eating?
              Connie K.

              Nothing can be more organic than human axcrement.

              Serge M.

              --- Connie Kuramoto <kuramoto@...> wrote:

              > I love your response....right on...but is it
              > organic? LOL
              > Connie kurmoto

            • Sergio Montinola
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
                Nature is perfect, allow it to do its thing.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • pollywog
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
                  Hi Connie! Thanks for your comment on my original reply, I was hoping, after I sent it, I
                  hadn't started a flame war. <G> I know, I shoulda thought of that before I hit the "send"
                  button. I'm not known for foresight, though, mostly I'm known for saying "uh-oh. There
                  goes my mouth again!" after the fact, and when the armies of Armaggedon are ranking.
                  {;)

                  It strikes me that Katherine, being a lady who takes such care in the best utilization of
                  her output, would be just as careful, if not more, about her intake. She doesn't strike me
                  as the Twinkies for breadfast, Hershey bar and Fritos for lunch, Hormone-laced Breaded
                  Fried Pork Loin for dinner sort of eater.

                  I also would not be as worried about her food intake, as any meds she might be
                  injesting. There is a lot of change from food/liquid intake to final funnel-function
                  production, especially when we are talking about the chemical changes and extreme
                  filtering that happens in the overall system that produces, as it's final product, our urine.
                  Many meds are not so cleansed, however, and that may be problematic; but I still do not
                  see that one person's output (we humans produce about 50cc's of urine an hour, if
                  memory serves right) would make a big difference unless one is absolute purist.

                  I wouldn't even worry about her eating black walnuts and pouring her void on the tomato
                  plants. <G> deb

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Connie Kuramoto" <kuramoto@M...>
                  wrote:

                  > Doesn't it depend on what the human is eating?
                  > Connie K.
                • redlunarmoon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
                    here's a good article from http://www.ruaf.org/no10/29_mexico.html

                    Organoponics - the Use of Human Urine in Composting

                    MC. Francisco J. Arroyo G.D.
                    Co-ordinator CEDICAR and of the Urban Agriculture Network (Red Aguila
                    - Mexicana).
                    E-mail: farroyo@...

                    Experiments and tests using fermented human urine in the production of
                    legumes, medicinal and aromatic plants in containers, began 10 years
                    ago1 in the Rural Research and Training Centre A.C. (CEDICAR). This
                    cultivation system has been called "organoponics" or "urineponics". It
                    is a cost-effective system, saving money, water, and being capable of
                    producing an average of 25 kg of legumes per year per m2, and which
                    has been culturally accepted by most of the families and institutions
                    with which we have worked.

                    The main advantage of this cultivation system, especially where land
                    is scarce, is that after 10 months of growth, the initial substratum
                    has decomposed, resulting in compost, rich in organic matter.

                    Organoponics
                    The organoponic system developed in Mexico, mainly in urban areas, is
                    extremely simple. First, containers are filled with leaves and/or
                    grass trimmings up to 85% of their capacity. Then they are inoculated
                    with fermented urine and filled with an additional 15% of topsoil.
                    Finally, the seed is transplanted or sown.

                    Urine is fermented by placing one litre of urine in a container and
                    adding a spoonful of black soil, compost or vermicompost. It is left
                    to sit without cover for 28 days. The process is completed when the
                    smell of ammonia becomes pervasive and the colour changes from light
                    yellow to dark brown.

                    Use of the ferment:

                    * In organoponics, 3 litres per bucket with 19 litres of
                    compressed leaves, (15 litres per m2 of leaves, 20 cm deep). This is
                    the initial dose. Then, it is diluted at a ratio of 10:1, (10 parts
                    water to 1 part ferment). A quarter of a litre of this is applied per
                    bucket, three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday).
                    * On the soil, it is applied combined with irrigation and/or
                    rainwater in doses still being tested for different crops.
                    Composting activator: as urine ferments, significant
                    populations of Actinomycets emerge, which are microorganisms
                    especially apt to degrade lignin and cellulose. For this reason, it
                    can be applied at a dose of 5 to 20 litres per m3 of carbon rich
                    material, to substitute and/or complement other manure.
                    Consult web page: www.laneta.apc.org/sarar

                    Environmental health
                    The use of urine as fertilizer highlights the added benefits of dry
                    toilets, as well as edible backyard and rooftop gardens. Families are
                    also encouraged to donate their urine to the municipal system for
                    treatment and use in peri urban agriculture.

                    Urine is innocuous, its use is guaranteed and carries no health
                    risks2. Most of the pathogens that cause human diseases die quickly
                    once urine leaves the body. If some subsist, the lactic bacteria and
                    the Actinomycets would destroy them during storage and during the
                    fermenting process.

                    Organoponics and other components of Urban Agriculture
                    The technique allows the recycling of organic matter (used as
                    substrata) and promotes the sorting of household wastes and the
                    development of household, neighbourhood and municipal composting
                    centres. It also saves water, promoting dry, urine-separating toilets,
                    which alleviates the accidental discharges from toilets and septic
                    tanks reaching water bodies, causing their eventual eutrophication.

                    Although household gardens are not conceived as a business or a small
                    undertaking, a 10 m2 garden can bring a family savings of 80 to 100
                    US$ per month. The household diet is improved as healthy and fresh
                    legumes become more easily available.

                    The practice can be used as participatory environmental education
                    process for the poorer segments of the population, which will
                    reinforce community ties and neighbourhood organizations. Gender
                    studies and surveys on the distribution of household work are being
                    conducted. The provision of support and incentives to environmentally
                    conscious families needs to be included in environment, public
                    service, health and economic policies of local authorities. It would
                    also be feasible and desirable, for local authorities to set up urban
                    agriculture divisions and integrate urban agriculture into municipal
                    agricultural initiatives. Having a municipal greenhouse and composting
                    centre that supplies seedlings and compost is, without doubt, a
                    strategic action that will help to achieve continuity and maintain
                    family gardens in good condition.

                    The use of human urine as fertilizer in urban agriculture requires
                    that it be developed as a local authority backed programme. Systems to
                    collect, transport, store, treat (ferment) and apply, need to be
                    developed. The same farmers interested in using urine can take part in
                    this programme and develop an enterprise for the handling both of
                    urine and faeces and their secondary treatments before being used as
                    fertilizers. The role of the municipality will be to facilitate these
                    activities and perhaps, find funds to partially subsidize the process.

                    Notes
                    1) Based on a brochure published by the State of California, USA,
                    written by Dr. Barbara Daniels (Fairfax California. USA, year unknown).
                    2) Vinneras Björn "Possibilities for sustainable nutrient recycling by
                    fecal separation combined with urine diversion. Doctoral thesis.
                    Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. Uppsala 2002.
                    Esrey A. Steve, et.al. "Cerrando el Ciclo. Saneamiento ecológico para
                    la seguridad alimentaria. UNDP-SIDA. Mexico, 2001.