Re: [fukuoka_farming] As an aside...

  • Thavisak Thavornrat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
      According to my experiences both can be used only you
      have to leave it for a while. Using it instantly and
      with high quantity both can harm your plant. I leave
      it for about 15 days.

      Thavisak Thavornrat
      Thailand

      --- "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...> wrote:

      > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
      > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil
      > ammendment?
      >
      > I was told that only male urine can be used, that
      > female urine will
      > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can
      > anyone tell me why?
      >
      > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is
      > a toxic substance.
      >
      > Any knowledge on this subject?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > a blushing,
      > kate

      Thavisakt Thavornrat
      10/12 Cholcharoen Soi 1,Boryang, Muang District,Songkhla Province 90000
      Thailand
      Tel Mobile 06 9653769, Home 074 321195

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • torskel87
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
        Katherine
        You can use both female and male urine for thr plants, you have to
        accumalate at least 10 litters, put some sugar in it so it ferments
        faster, after of like 15 days it will be stinking, and you can use
        it, you must disolve 1 of thisfermented urine in 10 of water, and it
        will help a lot to the plants.Urine is not in anyway a toxic
        product, now its even used for healing many illness drinking it.
        Urine is the bless of the heaven it is so usefull.
        vic

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine T."
        <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:

        > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
        > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
        >
        > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
        will
        > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
        why?

        > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
        substance.

        > Any knowledge on this subject?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > a blushing,
        > kate

      • cliff davis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
          We use human urine. The npk is something like 6/3/3 so it is a great fertilizer. I am not sure about female urine being unusable. Sounds like patriarch BS to me. I have heard to dilute it because it may burn the plants. A good reference is The Humanure book which can be read on the internet for free.
          Cliff

          "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...> wrote:
          This is a bit embarrassing, but...
          Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?

          I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine will
          harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me why?

          I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic substance.

          Any knowledge on this subject?

          Thanks,
          a blushing,
          kate

          Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

        • diebrand
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2006
            Kate,

            Urine is probably OK if not applied in high concentrations. I don't
            know if there is a difference between male and female urine. I
            rather doubt it. I guess it more depends on what a person ingests.

            Dieter

            <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:

            > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
            > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
            >
            > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine
            will
            > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
            why?

            > I have been saving my urine but now wonder if it is a toxic
            substance.

            > Any knowledge on this subject?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > a blushing,
            > kate

          • pollywog
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2006
              No need to be embarrassed. Pee on!

              Unless you drink a ponykeg a day and have the resultant toxins and such, have
              serious (I mean, lethal point) hormonal or other menstrual imbalances, or are voiding
              on an extremely tiny plot (like a 1-gallon bucket?), there is not a way you are going to
              overload your soil's abiltiy to utilize your urine.

              If you are at certain times in the menstrual or perimenopausal cycle, you may want to
              stay away from rutting 4-leggeds like bulls or stud horses, or perhaps the occasional
              lonely dog. Aside from that, there is no toxic, unsavory, unhealthful, or otherwise
              unwanted constituents to your urine beyond those of any other person- gender
              notwithstanding.

              Urine is't exaclty anhydrous nitrogen- unless you have boku output that would put a
              frat house to shame, there is no need to store or otherwise "mellow" it. Pour it out,
              and let Mom Earth deal. She knows what she's doing.

              No toxins? No time? No worries. deb

              > --- "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:
              >
              > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
              > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil
              > > ammendment?
              > >
              > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that
              > > female urine will
              > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can
              > > anyone tell me why?

            • Connie Kuramoto
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
                I love your response....right on...but is it organic? LOL
                Connie kurmoto

                Unless you drink a ponykeg a day and have the resultant toxins and
                such, have serious (I mean, lethal point) hormonal or other menstrual
                imbalances, or are voiding on an extremely tiny plot (like a 1-gallon
                bucket?), there is not a way you are going to overload your soil's
                abiltiy to utilize your urine.

                If you are at certain times in the menstrual or perimenopausal cycle,
                you may want to stay away from rutting 4-leggeds like bulls or stud
                horses, or perhaps the occasional lonely dog. Aside from that, there is
                no toxic, unsavory, unhealthful, or otherwise unwanted constituents to
                your urine beyond those of any other person- gender notwithstanding.

                Urine is't exaclty anhydrous nitrogen- unless you have boku output that
                would put a frat house to shame, there is no need to store or otherwise
                "mellow" it. Pour it out, and let Mom Earth deal. She knows what she's
                doing.

                No toxins? No time? No worries. deb

                > --- "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:
                >
                > > This is a bit embarrassing, but...
                > > Can anyone tell me about using human urine as a soil ammendment?
                > >
                > > I was told that only male urine can be used, that female urine will
                > > harm fruit trees and plants. Is this right and can anyone tell me
                > > why?

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Sergio Montinola
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
                  Nothing can be more organic than human axcrement.

                  Serge M.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Connie Kuramoto
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
                    Doesn't it depend on what the human is eating?
                    Connie K.

                    Nothing can be more organic than human axcrement.

                    Serge M.

                    --- Connie Kuramoto <kuramoto@...> wrote:

                    > I love your response....right on...but is it
                    > organic? LOL
                    > Connie kurmoto

                  • Sergio Montinola
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 27, 2006
                      Nature is perfect, allow it to do its thing.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • pollywog
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
                        Hi Connie! Thanks for your comment on my original reply, I was hoping, after I sent it, I
                        hadn't started a flame war. <G> I know, I shoulda thought of that before I hit the "send"
                        button. I'm not known for foresight, though, mostly I'm known for saying "uh-oh. There
                        goes my mouth again!" after the fact, and when the armies of Armaggedon are ranking.
                        {;)

                        It strikes me that Katherine, being a lady who takes such care in the best utilization of
                        her output, would be just as careful, if not more, about her intake. She doesn't strike me
                        as the Twinkies for breadfast, Hershey bar and Fritos for lunch, Hormone-laced Breaded
                        Fried Pork Loin for dinner sort of eater.

                        I also would not be as worried about her food intake, as any meds she might be
                        injesting. There is a lot of change from food/liquid intake to final funnel-function
                        production, especially when we are talking about the chemical changes and extreme
                        filtering that happens in the overall system that produces, as it's final product, our urine.
                        Many meds are not so cleansed, however, and that may be problematic; but I still do not
                        see that one person's output (we humans produce about 50cc's of urine an hour, if
                        memory serves right) would make a big difference unless one is absolute purist.

                        I wouldn't even worry about her eating black walnuts and pouring her void on the tomato
                        plants. <G> deb

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Connie Kuramoto" <kuramoto@M...>
                        wrote:

                        > Doesn't it depend on what the human is eating?
                        > Connie K.
                      • redlunarmoon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 28, 2006
                          here's a good article from http://www.ruaf.org/no10/29_mexico.html

                          Organoponics - the Use of Human Urine in Composting

                          MC. Francisco J. Arroyo G.D.
                          Co-ordinator CEDICAR and of the Urban Agriculture Network (Red Aguila
                          - Mexicana).
                          E-mail: farroyo@...

                          Experiments and tests using fermented human urine in the production of
                          legumes, medicinal and aromatic plants in containers, began 10 years
                          ago1 in the Rural Research and Training Centre A.C. (CEDICAR). This
                          cultivation system has been called "organoponics" or "urineponics". It
                          is a cost-effective system, saving money, water, and being capable of
                          producing an average of 25 kg of legumes per year per m2, and which
                          has been culturally accepted by most of the families and institutions
                          with which we have worked.

                          The main advantage of this cultivation system, especially where land
                          is scarce, is that after 10 months of growth, the initial substratum
                          has decomposed, resulting in compost, rich in organic matter.

                          Organoponics
                          The organoponic system developed in Mexico, mainly in urban areas, is
                          extremely simple. First, containers are filled with leaves and/or
                          grass trimmings up to 85% of their capacity. Then they are inoculated
                          with fermented urine and filled with an additional 15% of topsoil.
                          Finally, the seed is transplanted or sown.

                          Urine is fermented by placing one litre of urine in a container and
                          adding a spoonful of black soil, compost or vermicompost. It is left
                          to sit without cover for 28 days. The process is completed when the
                          smell of ammonia becomes pervasive and the colour changes from light
                          yellow to dark brown.

                          Use of the ferment:

                          * In organoponics, 3 litres per bucket with 19 litres of
                          compressed leaves, (15 litres per m2 of leaves, 20 cm deep). This is
                          the initial dose. Then, it is diluted at a ratio of 10:1, (10 parts
                          water to 1 part ferment). A quarter of a litre of this is applied per
                          bucket, three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday).
                          * On the soil, it is applied combined with irrigation and/or
                          rainwater in doses still being tested for different crops.
                          Composting activator: as urine ferments, significant
                          populations of Actinomycets emerge, which are microorganisms
                          especially apt to degrade lignin and cellulose. For this reason, it
                          can be applied at a dose of 5 to 20 litres per m3 of carbon rich
                          material, to substitute and/or complement other manure.
                          Consult web page: www.laneta.apc.org/sarar

                          Environmental health
                          The use of urine as fertilizer highlights the added benefits of dry
                          toilets, as well as edible backyard and rooftop gardens. Families are
                          also encouraged to donate their urine to the municipal system for
                          treatment and use in peri urban agriculture.

                          Urine is innocuous, its use is guaranteed and carries no health
                          risks2. Most of the pathogens that cause human diseases die quickly
                          once urine leaves the body. If some subsist, the lactic bacteria and
                          the Actinomycets would destroy them during storage and during the
                          fermenting process.

                          Organoponics and other components of Urban Agriculture
                          The technique allows the recycling of organic matter (used as
                          substrata) and promotes the sorting of household wastes and the
                          development of household, neighbourhood and municipal composting
                          centres. It also saves water, promoting dry, urine-separating toilets,
                          which alleviates the accidental discharges from toilets and septic
                          tanks reaching water bodies, causing their eventual eutrophication.

                          Although household gardens are not conceived as a business or a small
                          undertaking, a 10 m2 garden can bring a family savings of 80 to 100
                          US$ per month. The household diet is improved as healthy and fresh
                          legumes become more easily available.

                          The practice can be used as participatory environmental education
                          process for the poorer segments of the population, which will
                          reinforce community ties and neighbourhood organizations. Gender
                          studies and surveys on the distribution of household work are being
                          conducted. The provision of support and incentives to environmentally
                          conscious families needs to be included in environment, public
                          service, health and economic policies of local authorities. It would
                          also be feasible and desirable, for local authorities to set up urban
                          agriculture divisions and integrate urban agriculture into municipal
                          agricultural initiatives. Having a municipal greenhouse and composting
                          centre that supplies seedlings and compost is, without doubt, a
                          strategic action that will help to achieve continuity and maintain
                          family gardens in good condition.

                          The use of human urine as fertilizer in urban agriculture requires
                          that it be developed as a local authority backed programme. Systems to
                          collect, transport, store, treat (ferment) and apply, need to be
                          developed. The same farmers interested in using urine can take part in
                          this programme and develop an enterprise for the handling both of
                          urine and faeces and their secondary treatments before being used as
                          fertilizers. The role of the municipality will be to facilitate these
                          activities and perhaps, find funds to partially subsidize the process.

                          Notes
                          1) Based on a brochure published by the State of California, USA,
                          written by Dr. Barbara Daniels (Fairfax California. USA, year unknown).
                          2) Vinneras Björn "Possibilities for sustainable nutrient recycling by
                          fecal separation combined with urine diversion. Doctoral thesis.
                          Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. Uppsala 2002.
                          Esrey A. Steve, et.al. "Cerrando el Ciclo. Saneamiento ecológico para
                          la seguridad alimentaria. UNDP-SIDA. Mexico, 2001.