New Beginnings

  • Katherine T.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 24, 2006
      Hello list members;
      I have been surveying literature about the Fukuoka farming methods
      for several months now. I have little money to begin with but I am
      ready to begin my first garden using the Fukuoka philosophy. I am on
      nearly ten acres of poorly draining, shallow (less than a meter in
      most places,)heavy clay soil which sits atop an expansive hard pan
      and rock sedimentary layer. I live in the northern Sacramento
      Valley. The area is a part of the tributary flood plains for the
      Sierra Nevada Mountain range of Northern California.

      I purchased the first two books, but am a bit confused as to where I
      should begin and what steps to take first. Which seeds complement
      one another best for mixing and rolling into compost/clay balls. If
      anyone has any suggestions for a newbie on a budget please let me
      know. I have access to purchasing rice straw and hay from
      neighboring ag businesses but am selective in that I would like to
      keep pesticides and petrol residues out of my gardening system.

      This impoverished and neglected piece of land cries out for
      attention. There are few trees. I have a mulberry and two old and
      sickly black walnut trees, but thought to plant some pawlonia trees
      to help restore some of the shade. There must have been extensive
      harvesting historically here as the name of the township is Pleasant
      Grove!" But there is hardly a copse let alone a grove in sight.

      Also, how does one handle major rodent issues. I have rice rats and
      field mice galore. I have several good mousers, but the cats won't
      take on the rats as they are aggressive and large. I did take the
      snake suggestion to heart but must find a supplier. Most wildlife in
      the local area has long ago been decimated so the natural balance is
      in disequilibrium. There is so much to consider. With costs rising
      and wages in decline, I need to have a garden which will meet my
      family's diet requirements as well as perhaps supplement my meager
      income.

      Are there any recommendations on books or websites that I can use to
      help me combine seeds for seed balls successfully, or is it hit and
      miss? I have read many wonderful ideas here already and am looking
      forward to being a more active list member. As a novice, I have so
      much yet to learn, but...the student is ready!

      Gratefully yours,
      Katie

      +
    • diebrand
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 24, 2006
        Katie,

        Would be nice to have another active member on this group. Activity
        seems to be at a historical low (wonder if that somehow reflects
        present interest in Fukuokan methods).

        Me too, I have a heavy clay soil, abused by years of conventional
        agriculture. A lot of it is overgrown by shrubbery and trees.
        After a few years of organic gardening, I have been experimenting
        with natural farming for about a year to cultivate a larger area. I
        shred the shrubs (which need thinning out) and leave the shredded
        parts on the ground as a mulch layer. I leave the roots in the
        ground. Perennials growing again from the roots will supply a mulch
        layer for the future. I found it very easy to grow legumes (green
        peas, lupines, different types of beans and local weeds) as well as
        daikon radish from the mulch. Clover didn't germinate were the
        mulch layer is too thick - the seeds probably need soil contact. I
        tried seedballs without much success so far, but I will try again in
        the spring. You can get most info about seedballs from the
        seedball.com run by Jim Breen. There should be a link somewhere on
        the Fukuoka Farming site. I also tried different types of cereals
        (wheat, barley, rye, etc.). Germination was OK, but right now they
        are not doing too well, started to turn brown except in places were
        I already built a good layer of top soil during previous years. It
        will probably take a few years to get some top soil on a larger area.

        I usually broadcast cereals together with clover. There are many
        different types of clover and it takes some experimenting to find
        the one that works best on your land. I also grow clover in my veg
        garden (a low-growing clover such as sub clover so as not to crowed
        out the vegetables). If you want to plant trees for shade you could
        start with acacias which grow very quickly and some varieties (see
        Morishima acacia or Black Wattle in the One Straw Revolution) are
        good for fixing nitrogen.

        My feeling is that many people get very enthusiastic about Fukuoka
        Farming at first just to give up after a while. Well, I'm still in
        the enthusiastic phase and determined to make it work.

        Cheers, Dieter

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine T."
        <BeltaineBabe@g...> wrote:

        > Hello list members;
        > I have been surveying literature about the Fukuoka farming methods
        > for several months now. I have little money to begin with but I am
        > ready to begin my first garden using the Fukuoka philosophy. I am
        on
        > nearly ten acres of poorly draining, shallow (less than a meter in
        > most places,)heavy clay soil which sits atop an expansive hard pan
        > and rock sedimentary layer. I live in the northern Sacramento
        > Valley. The area is a part of the tributary flood plains for the
        > Sierra Nevada Mountain range of Northern California.
        >
        > I purchased the first two books, but am a bit confused as to where
        > should begin and what steps to take first. Which seeds complement
        > one another best for mixing and rolling into compost/clay balls.
        If
        > anyone has any suggestions for a newbie on a budget please let me
        > know. I have access to purchasing rice straw and hay from
        > neighboring ag businesses but am selective in that I would like to
        > keep pesticides and petrol residues out of my gardening system.
        >
        > This impoverished and neglected piece of land cries out for
        > attention. There are few trees. I have a mulberry and two old and
        > sickly black walnut trees, but thought to plant some pawlonia
        trees
        > to help restore some of the shade. There must have been extensive
        > harvesting historically here as the name of the township is
        Pleasant
        > Grove!" But there is hardly a copse let alone a grove in sight.
        >
        > Also, how does one handle major rodent issues. I have rice rats
        and
        > field mice galore. I have several good mousers, but the cats won't
        > take on the rats as they are aggressive and large. I did take the
        > snake suggestion to heart but must find a supplier. Most wildlife
        in
        > the local area has long ago been decimated so the natural balance
        is
        > in disequilibrium. There is so much to consider. With costs rising
        > and wages in decline, I need to have a garden which will meet my
        > family's diet requirements as well as perhaps supplement my meager
        > income.
        >
        > Are there any recommendations on books or websites that I can use
        > help me combine seeds for seed balls successfully, or is it hit
        and
        > miss? I have read many wonderful ideas here already and am looking
        > forward to being a more active list member. As a novice, I have so
        > much yet to learn, but...the student is ready!
        >
        > Gratefully yours,
        > Katie
        >

        > +

      • Bill Maxwell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 24, 2006
          Just out of interest, some people in the primitivist movement (both on
          Anthropik.com and Ishcon.org) have begun to pay attention to Fukuoka's
          work. I believe several of them will be starting up gardens this or
          next year.

          Best

          Bill Maxwell

          diebrand wrote:

          > Katie,
          >
          > Would be nice to have another active member on this group. Activity
          > seems to be at a historical low (wonder if that somehow reflects
          > present interest in Fukuokan methods).

        • cliff davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 24, 2006
            hi everyone, i have a garden system that mimics or trying to mimic Emilia Hazelips. We have been gardening with this system for a few years now and there is so much to learn. We are seeing that each gardener probably has their own tricks but it is so important to stick with the Fukuoka philososphy extended into the market garden by Emilia.
            We use a lot of daikons and every bed always has a N fixer. We leave all roots in the ground and feed the young sandy soil with chicken manure and plant manures with lots of mulch. We are currently starting some experiments with EM to compost our food scraps for greenhouse mix. We plant roots directly and carefully pull them out when we want to harvest. We took a soil test not to long ago and the nitrogen was trace. However, I do believe this to be good because our test kit probably test nitrogen in Nitrate form and not ammonium . This has a lot to do with the Ethylene Oxygen cycle. I hope that we are right. The literature on the site will tell about the Ethylene Oxygen Cycle and its importance in no till systems of agriculture. The gardens are still an experiment but we see success with it and we will be expanding into a larger area this summer.
            For those with clay soils it is good to sow a cover crop mixed with daikon alfalfa and other accumulator plants that can bust thru the hardpan and gather the minerals that are needed to establish a feeding system for the topsoil organisms to eat. Leave the roots in the ground allowing them to grow rot grow rot. Undersowing can also be done to stack in time as well as stacking in space.
            Another thing we are working on is NFX trees and shrubs in the garden system. Autumn Olive, Acacia, and locust's. There are more but the idea is to use these trees to mine the soil with their roots and to use the leaves after coppicing on the garden as mulch. There are many good ideas out there. I suggest we all keep an eye on what nature does and always stick to the fundamentals of Fukuoka Farming. To copy Fukuoka exactly might lead to much discouragement as I have heard from those who tried and tried.
            Nature Provides
            Cliff Davis
            Turtle Island Permaculture

            "Katherine T." <BeltaineBabe@...> wrote:
[...]

            Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed

          • Katherine T.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 25, 2006
              Thank you, Dieter, Bill, Cliff et al;
              I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from yours.
              I chose fukuoka because I have some physical challenges and I like
              the spiritual components of the methodology.

              Thank you all for the suggestions and linkages. I know that at least
              one local man has been successful in his practice of this natural
              farming method. His soil is different than mine but that can be
              ammended a bit with time and energy.

              I am fortunate to have available, when I can afford it, some very
              rich compost which a local landfill operator creates out of all of
              the food service industry organic wastes from the San Francisco Bay
              Area restaurants. The large wine producers in Napa and Sonoma use
              this compost for their vineyards. I can purchase it when I can
              arrange for its transportation. We are some 80 miles away from where
              it is composted.

              I will be buying some redworms and creating my own vermiculture
              plant soon. It and a solar composting toilet are two of my proposed
              spring projects for this year. I know that, in my state, humanure
              can only be used on flowers and ornamentals but that is okay with
              me. I am also interested in the Rudolf Steiner Flow forms for grey
              water treatment. I learned of them at a permaculture seminar I took.
              We are fortunate to have a local Rudolf Steiner school locally that
              I can take classes at and visit their gardens too.

              I guess my biggest problem it just getting off the computer and
              getting out there to work. But the ground is soggy and the weather
              cold. We still have a chance to have nighttime freezes so I can only
              work on plans and preparations for things thus far. I thought to
              start buying seed and making seedballs first, but need to decide
              what complements of seeds I want.

              I have been thinking purple vetch, buckwheat and mustard seed would
              help build up the soil. I have milk thistle all over the place and
              want to harvest some of it. I have a few varieties of wild grasses
              as rice, alfalfa and oat are grown commercially out here and the
              wind blows them far afield. Some of these are genetically modified
              species though I cannot know which ones. It is a natural occurrence
              and the land has received them and they have proven fertile. They
              grow so I leave them alone.

              My field has been fallow for many years. I believe the top soil was
              mined at sometime in the past because our field sits 3 feet lower
              than any other in the area. Fortunately my house is on higher
              ground. The field flood and becomes impassable as when one tries to
              cross it one sinks two feet down. I am of Dutch Frisian Ancestry so
              I thought to but some wooden shoes to walk about the field just as
              my ancestors might have in the Groenigen region of the Netherlands.

              I have read that the Frisians were distinguished into two classes
              and my ancestors were the "Clay" Frisians" since they inhabited the
              flood plains and estuaries of the confluence of the Maas, Rhine and
              other rivers flowing out into the North Atlantic. So, maybe,
              learning more about my heritage might have benefits to working the
              clay soils here in California.

              When I read the books by Dr. Fukuoka I wondered how the method might
              translate into an American Fukuoka Methodology. Where I am used to
              be the Rice Producing Capital of the United States, but it is
              heavily reliant upon fossil fuel and irrigation. I don't want to
              deal with that. I have two wells. One for the field which I thought
              to put either a treadle pump into or have a solar pump installed. It
              is offline at the moment.

              I also want to start a pond. We are in the flight path of the
              Canadian snow goose, trumpeter swans, egrets and other avian species
              which have lost much due to expansive suburban development in the
              region. I would like to host them in some small way, if they pose no
              threat to my crops or my family (Avian Flu being the concern)

              I am choosing to get a couple of goat kids to raise for keeping the
              grasses down. This is a hazardous area for grass fires due to the
              long hot summers. The grasses grow thick and deep during the spring
              season and then dry out and thatch. It is another reason I thought
              Fukuoka might work here, but it poses a fire hazard, too.
              Anyone raise goats before? I need a little goatherding advice if you
              can share your experience. Like, which breeds would be best suited
              to my needs.

              I want to free range chickens, too. But am concerned about the
              migratory bird vector issues with the potential for a pandemic of
              the avian flu. So, I am still not decided on chickens yet.
              We also have west nile virus in the area. Two men and many horses
              have died of it last year. Mosquito abatement is a huge concern for
              the area. Even though it is cold, we have mosquitoes already
              breeding in the rain water pools all over the property.

              Well, I posted a couple of photos of the area I live in. As I go I
              will post more pictures of my progress. I will consider the Acacia
              trees, Dieter. I chose the pawlonia because of their fast growth and
              the fact that their leaves can be used as fodder and even food for
              human consumption. I am going to plant some Bamboo, too, for
              sustainable building materials and to help create a microclimate.

              Well, I think that is enough open online brainstorming for now. I am
              tired already just thinking how much work I have planned for myself!!
              LOL But, I know I will be happy with the results once I get started.

              It is just nice to have a place to talk about it all.

              Thanks and fertile blessings,
              Katie
            • michael
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                'However, the problem of slugs is still not resolved. The ducks, which
                have a small pond in the middle of the garden, turned out to be
                inefficient (they're asleep when the slugs are in full swing!). Emilia
                is looking for other predators to intervene in the biological struggle.
                '

                For those of you with slug problems, create a pond near your garden.
                Toads will find it and create hundreds of little toads, as well as
                song. Your slugs will disappear and you will have little toads
                everywhere. You will also notice the fat mama hanging around for
                crickets and other larger snacks. They are all very active at night.
                Mama will avoid your feet. The little ones not always so. Careful on
                your midnight walks.
              • michael
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                  As a philosophy and not a gardening method, Fukuoka's essence needs to
                  be internalized and placed in your context. Start any which way,
                  seedballs or no, watch things grow, find what they like and where they
                  like. In the beginning, I tried too hard. 10 years later, I found less
                  effort better than more.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                    Where there are mice, there are snakes. Unless they have been
                    chemically suppressed or eradicated through fear. Start with the
                    amphibians. Create a pond. Frogs and salamanders will come. Snakes will
                    come once you have green cover (any) and do not use toxins. If you
                    believe you have toxins in your soil, put water hyacinths in your pond,
                    harvest the hyacinths come Winter, and dispose of at a toxic waste
                    repository. Do not compost the hyacinths; they have accumulated
                    concentrations of heavy metals and complex organics if they were in
                    your soil. Move the pond the next year or the year after that. Plant
                    where the pond was.

                    On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Katherine T. wrote:

                    > I did take the
                    > snake suggestion to heart but must find a supplier. Most wildlife in
                    > the local area has long ago been decimated so the natural balance is
                    > in disequilibrium.
                  • michael
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                      This is easy. Especially where you are. You may be able to let Winter
                      greens grow. Many of the chicories and chards may survive your Winter.
                      We must dry daikon tops, ferment leeks, cabbage and beans, dry tomatoes
                      and peppers, and dig roots through the Winter. Parsnips grow wild and
                      are quite sweet in January. Medlars need the weeks of being frozen to
                      turn their insides into custard.

                      On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Katherine T. wrote:

                      > I need to have a garden which will meet my
                      > family's diet requirements
                    • michael
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                        This is much harder. Identify a high value crop that likes your area
                        and you.

                        On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Katherine T. wrote:

                        > supplement my meager
                        > income
                      • michael
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                          But they do eat baby snakes.
                          Cats are not a remedy as they are not part of the ecosystem.
                          Dogs are much better mousers that cats, and most will kill rats near
                          your premises. Some dogs were bred to kill rats.

                          On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Katherine T. wrote:

                          > I have several good mousers, but the cats won't
                          > take on the rats as they are aggressive and large.
                        • circlesmc
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 29, 2006
                            Hi Katie, and All,

                            I've just joined this group and I'm finding the information posted
                            here very interesting and of value. My thanks go out to all of you.

                            Goats prefer bushes, love roses, and they will eat small trees too.
                            They eat grass, but if the bushes, etc. are available to them, those
                            will be eaten first. I love the nubians. Their milk has a higher fat
                            content and the milk makes excellent cheese. Goats can carry TB so
                            make sure that any new additions to your homestead are tested first.

                            I live in CA too and my ground is like yours. I've found that herbs
                            do very well here.... year after year with very little effort on my
                            part. Onions and garlic are growing well in my garden right now,
                            along with new strawberry plants. Cantaloupe, all of the melons, also
                            corn tend to do well when it gets a little warmer, and peas planted
                            while the weather is cool do well too. Mixed greens need the cool
                            weather also. I've just put out some thornless black berry starts
                            that seem to be happy in the ground here. I have trouble with tomato
                            plants, but last year I did get a crop. Figs and some of the nuts
                            like this climate too.

                            GM crops? This whole technology scares me. Rice and oats...I don't
                            think that they have approved GM in those crops yet, but I could be
                            mistaken.

                            Good luck with all of your great plans for the future.

                            Carolyn