Natural farming in infertile lands

  • partha biswas,9830511359
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 19, 2006
      Dear all,

      I am partha biswas from India.We are trying to start
      natural farming in infertile lands to help poor
      tribals.

      Does anybody has the experience of natural farming at
      infertile lands.Please help me.

      The tribals are to be saved from starvation.

      Thanks all
      Partha biswas

      --- terra_amore8 <terra_amore8@...> wrote:

      > Hello out
      > there,
      >
      > Course details and a printable flyer can be found
      > on the website. If you want please forward, print,
      > post, and help get the word out. And, of course,
      > join us if you can!
      > Wendy
      >

      > The Wilder Institute, Next Generation Permaculture
      > presents:
      > Permaculture and the Arts Design Intensive
      >

      > Where: Frogwood Retreat Center,
      > Northern California Redwoods
      > When: May 23- June 6, 2006
      >
      > What: Join us for a creative 14-day arts and
      > hands-on intensive! 112 hr certificated
      > permaculture design course with daily art classes,
      > movement, yoga & theatre.
      >
      > Who: Permaculture Teachers: Joel
      > Glanzberg and Jenny Pell
      > with Byron Delvin Gelin,
      > Jamie Mulligan Smith, & Wendy Breiby
      > Visionary Artists: Mariela
      > de la Paz and Nemo
      > Movement and Yoga: Nala
      > Walla and Michael Suzerris
      > Raw Food Chef: Bruce
      > Horowitz of the Sun Kitchen
      >
      > Cost: $1,450 - includes delicious vegetarian
      > and raw foods made from a mix of local cuisine &
      > farm-fresh foods, accommodations in cabins nestled
      > in the Redwoods, full use of Frogwood Lodge, hot
      > tub, & trails
      >
      > Deadline to apply: April 25th, 2006 $100 discount
      > if paid in full by April 1st.
      > $350 non-refundable deposit required. Space
      > limited to 25 students.
      >

      > For complete details visit our website
      > www.permaculturenow.com
      >
      > or contact:
      > Byron Delvin Gelin: delvin@... or
      > (604) 307-5566
      > Wendy Breiby: wendy@... or (503)
      > 298-4871.
      >

      > PERMACULTURE: design principles & methodologies •
      > reading landscapes, mapping, & site analysis local
      > self-reliance • alternative economic systems • plant
      > propagation & seed saving • indigenous cultivation,
      > traditions & practices perennial polycultures &
      > developing
      > food forests • energy conservation & renewable
      > energy sources • ecosystem restoration /
      > bioremediation • hydrology & aquaculture • forest
      > management & agroforestry • natural building &
      > ecovillage design • urban permaculture strategies •
      > whole systems theory and ecoliteracy • herbs &
      > medicinal plants
      >
      > ARTS: painting • drawing • mandala gardens • yoga
      > • ”body ecology” – contact dance, authentic
      > movement, playback theater, ritual poetry • patterns
      > in nature • sacred geometry • trellising and garden
      > art • weaving • sculpture
      >

      > Permaculture is an ethical design system for
      > creating human environments that are ecologically
      > sound & economically viable. It integrates
      > innovative science into the conscious development of
      > cultivated ecosystems that have the diversity,
      > stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.

> [...]

      Partha Biswas, National Park, PO-Naihati, Dt.-N.24 Pargs,743165,Ph.-09231539115

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sergio Montinola
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2006
        Dear Partha.

        Make compost from your organic garbage or cut grass,
        foliage, and any organic waste from plants.

        Place your garbage or waste on a pile, water it and
        wait till it decompose into a black soil. Earthworms
        are beneficial in making organic compost. Keet your
        pile of waste moist all the time.

        Compost can grow all kinds of fruits and vegetables
        when applied and used as soil.

        The attach photo is the compost bin on the left, and
        the plants growing on the compost placed above the
        soil.

        Hope this will help you.

        Sergio J, Montinola

        --- "partha biswas,9830511359" <kothae@...>

      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2006

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > whole systems theory and ecoliteracy • herbs &
          > > medicinal plants
          > >
          > > ARTS: painting • drawing • mandala gardens •
          > yoga
          > > • ”body ecology” – contact dance, authentic
          > > movement, playback theater, ritual poetry •
          > patterns
          > > in nature • sacred geometry • trellising and
          > garden
          > > art • weaving • sculpture
          > >

          > > Permaculture is an ethical design system for
          > > creating human environments that are ecologically
          > > sound & economically viable. It integrates
          > > innovative science into the conscious development
          > of
          > > cultivated ecosystems that have the diversity,
          > > stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.

          > > Amor de Mama Tierra

          > > removed]
          > >

          > Partha Biswas, National Park, PO-Naihati,

        • diebrand
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
            Partha,

            It always depends on your local conditions (soil, climate,
            availability of water, etc.). The main thing is to build top soil
            which is rich in humus. You could make compost, as pointed out by
            Sergio, or you could try a method more in tune with natural
            farming. Find out what plants (including cash crops, green manure,
            weeds, bushes and trees) will grow on the land without much
            cultivation. Cut the plants or let them die and let the dead parts
            rot on the ground. Plants will rot faster if you can keep them wet,
            but if you don't have enough water they will also rot, it will just
            take a little longer. You can combine or alternate deep rooting
            plants (daikon, etc.) to loosen the ground, legumes (lupines, green
            peas etc.) to fix nitrogen and clover etc. to add biomass. It can
            take a few years, but already a thin layer of top soil rich in humus
            will make a big difference. I have a heavy clay soil with a lot of
            rubble and hardly any humus at all which has been depleted by dry
            climatic conditions and bad agricultural practices for centuries.
            Having build a humus layer of not more than half an inches in some
            places, the growth I get in these places is beyond believe.

            Dieter

            > I am partha biswas from India.We are trying to start
            > natural farming in infertile lands to help poor
            > tribals.
            >
            > Does anybody has the experience of natural farming at
            > infertile lands.Please help me.
            >
            > The tribals are to be saved from starvation.
            >
            > Thanks all
            > Partha biswas
          • pollywog
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
              Hello Partha!

              Both Sergio and Dieter give good suggestions for you, I heartily agree with both. You
              need good organic matter first and formost, that wil give you just what you need.
              Both give great advice.

              It sounds as if you are in a crisis situtation, though, is that correct? Are we looking at
              needing output this season or next? If so, and if you are able, I would add to the
              above suggestions something a bit radical, even for me. I do not know the geography
              of India, or the reason your soil is infertile, so am hoping this isn't just hollering to
              the wind.

              Import organic material, if you don't have much to start with or that isn't readily
              availble locally. If there are any livestock growers in the area, get manure from them if
              at all possible. Any park service, landscaping, or other such groups might be able to
              supply you with plant material from what they have trimmed, cut down, or othewise
              consider waste material. Perhaps if there is a zoo within reasonable distance, you
              might be able to get manure from them, but I am uncertain about hormones or meds
              that might be used- you may want to ask about that.

              You can plant right into a layer or two of this stuff, especially if the manure is old,
              and will be able to get crops. I have used lasagne-style layered material and didn't
              even have time enough to wait for it to compost, but was still able to get harvests.
              And, growing things into the compost-to-be seems to speed up the process, to boot.

              Also, as suggested, planting plenty of deep rooted plants, along with big biomass,
              legume, and other great plants, will help your soil get fertile at an ever increased rate.
              Leave a certain percentage of root crops in the ground, not pulling them, but leaving
              them in the soil. Same with other crops. If you can, when time to harvest, trim the
              harvest right in the field leaving the trimmings on the soil. Alternately, return the
              trimmings from any processing back to the field if there is no initial field-dressing.

              I have this picture of India being a huge land of jungle and mountain. My ignorance
              shames me, but there it is! I keep thinking there must be plenty of good organic
              material you can use close by; I do hope so.

              Good thoughts to you, Partha. deb

              > > I am partha biswas from India.We are trying to start
              > > natural farming in infertile lands to help poor
              > > tribals.
              > >
              > > Does anybody has the experience of natural farming at
              > > infertile lands.Please help me.
              > >
              > > The tribals are to be saved from starvation.
              > >
              > > Thanks all
              > > Partha biswas

            • yuva senthil
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
                Dear Madam,

                I am glad to introduce myself for first time in fukoko farming group. I am from India. I am final year B.Tech. (Horticulture) student of Tamil nadu Agricuiltural University, Coimbatore.
                Since I am from farm family and having chosen Horticulture as the bread winning course I have tried out some experiments in my farm in last 4 years. I want to share my first and little experience in my infertile land with you firstly.
                The infertility of the land is caused due to the climatic factors of the low rainfall, extreme temperatures and slope of the land.

                It is essential that to fix the carbondioxide in the air in the farm of organic carbon in the soil to enhance the soil physical, chemical and biological properities of the soil.
                so to fix the organic carbon the people normally grow green manure crops, adding the farm yard manures and also practice the sod culture(A way of natural farming with out removing the weeds).
                Your wish is to go for natural farming and itis possible only if you select the plant which can come very well in your eco- system i.e. the plant can thrive and wont die but it produces friut only if the favorable conditions of the weather prevailing in that particular year. This stage will not came initially, but when the eco system stabilize itself for some years(5-10 years).
                The natural farming is not possible commercially for the market but for the home gardens were the requirement in low to satisfy the basic needs of the family.

                THis is my experience in my farm. I am growing the custard apple, guava, tamarind and pome granate in my farm which comes quite well after one years of irrigation but fruits only in the favorable condition of weather.

                My farm is situated in the low rainfall zone of less than 700mm, average temperature of 38 celcius and with low humidity (<40%) most of the days of the year. The soil is sandy loam with high porosity with low nitrogen and phosphorus content and medium potassium.

                I f you send me the details of above mentioned things of the your farm and your location I will suggest the crop and its possibility of natural farming. Normally the sustainable agriculture supported by the other units access to the crop husbandary make the things possible for natural farming/ Organic farming in all type of the cropping systems.

                You might have mailed with the interest of doing natural farming of fuako but Mr. Fukako natural farming is only suitable for the Tropical heavy rainfall areas and the other areas having the GOOD ECO SYSTEM PRODUCTIVITY(carbon sequestration). Any change in this productivity will lead to the changing in cropping pattern.

                Please reply if you have further enquiries regarding commercial production of the horticultural crops in sustainable farming.

                Thanking you,
                WITH REGARDS,
                R.Yuva senthil kumar.B.Tech.(Horticulture)

                Thanking you,
> [...]

                > management & agroforestry • natural building &
                > ecovillage design • urban permaculture strategies •
                > whole systems theory and ecoliteracy • herbs &
                > medicinal plants
                >
                > ARTS: painting • drawing • mandala gardens • yoga
                > • ”body ecology” – contact dance, authentic
                > movement, playback theater, ritual poetry • patterns
                > in nature • sacred geometry • trellising and garden
                > art • weaving • sculpture
                >

                > Permaculture is an ethical design system for
                > creating human environments that are ecologically
                > sound & economically viable. It integrates
                > innovative science into the conscious development of
                > cultivated ecosystems that have the diversity,
                > stability, & resilience of natural ecosystems.

                > Amor de Mama Tierra

                > removed]

                Partha Biswas, National Park, PO-Naihati, Dt.-N.24 Pargs,743165,Ph.-09231539115

                Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic seed