to bob about clearcuts

  • roberto pokachinni
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2002
      Hey sorry I didn't get through the other day... I
      still don't know what happened, and when I tried to
      foreward the failed post, it didn't... don't know why
      there either... darn machines... ANYWAY... bob. What
      is the amount of clearcut that you are dealing with?
      Are you being made responsible for dealing with this
      industrial disaster? I hope that you have help.
      Wouldn't it be nice if there were no clearcuts? I
      live in an extensively clearcut part of the world,
      spent my formative years in a logging camp, and have
      educated myself on it as best I can. More details
      about what your project entails might help us give a
      better prescription for your situation. I hope this
      advice is helpful for your situation... Good thing
      that Mom Nature really likes to make forests up here
      in Canada, so we just have to go check out what she
      does, and how she does it, and then try to help her
      out as much as we can. The main problem with
      clearcuts is that they are not natural phenomena, and
      so they do not mimic any one exact feature that can be
      found in Nature. If you take a look at natural
      disturbance patterns in forested landscapes: fires,
      insect/fungal infestation, blow-down, over-mature/old
      age collapse, landslide, etc, you will find the
      species that most inhabit the open spaces. These are
      your allies. A blowdown that created a landslide, and
      was subsequenty ignited might give a representation of
      the amount of damage of an industrial grapple yarder
      clearcut (minus the spilled oil). The large trees of
      the mature forest are a lofty goal in most situations,
      and should generally not be the initial priority of a
      re-vegetation program. What you can do to help Mom
      Nature out...
      1. Restabilise the groundcover. the lanscape has been
      shattered/crushed/and torn assunder. Evaporation,
      transpiration, erosion, nutrient leaching, etc have
      all been accelerated. What you use to do this would
      usually depend on what Mom would do if she had all the
      seeds where she wants them when she wants them. Check
      out the understory plants that will grow in the open
      harsh landscapes. natual grasses. Any natural plant
      that fixes nitrogen.
      2. Re-establish a multi-leveled canopy. One of the
      main features lacking in a clearcut that are present
      in all other natural damaged areas (except a
      landslide) is the canopy effect: Even a blowdown has
      twisted piles of trees and plenty of shelter for young
      trees; a fire has snags, and unburnt sections. A
      multi-leveled canopy provides the habitat for the full
      range of benificial insects, and companion plants:
      Emilia mentioned Alder... where I live Red Alder
      would be the prime tree for initiating this... it
      grows fast, it fixes nitrogen, it has a relatively
      short life span for a tree, it provides a lot of
      habitat, and biomass in a short time, and it is
      deciduous, so the evergreen conifers love to grow
      under it, and up through it, it's annual leaf litter
      is tremendous. As soon as your conifers have
      climaxed your alders in natural timing ( they should
      be planted after your alders are a few years old, if
      they haven't seeded naturally), you should have at
      least 4 canopy levels, including your shrubs, and
      ground covers. The sooner you get above two canopies,
      the sooner your clearcut begins to act like a forest.
      As Emilia mentioned, bird boxes, up on poles, or on
      any standing wood will help. If you have access to
      machines or lots of human-power, you could plant a few
      fake snags as I have seen done in clearcuts to mimic
      post burn sites; these encourage a lot of birds,
      bats, beneficial insects, as well as create
      micro-climates/systems for your more delicate plants,
      and lichens. Of the conifers, where I live, lodgepole
      pines are the most likely to grow in the open. they
      actually prefer it, and don't like the closed canopy
      of a full forest (the white pines of Ontario are
      larger and may have different nursery
      3.Re-establish natural drainage patterns. The impact
      of heavy machinary may have turned a flowing creeklet
      into a quagmire. A road way may have diverted several
      small drainages into a ditch, through a culvert down a
      single drainage. The run-off patterns have been
      greatly accelerated: The loss of moisture retaining
      plant structures, the earth being torn open, slopes
      built upon without the drainage patterns being taken
      properly into account, and replaced by flat linear
      surfaces that promote flash flooding during, and
      immediately following rain storms. As soon as possible
      tear out the road, at least in the places that the
      water wants to flow, and re-vegetate the road-area in
      grasses, and alders to stabilize it's traumatic
      4. The closer you stick to what Mom Nature would do
      given being in the right place, at the right time,
      with the right seeds, the better. Do research your
      boreal forest plants. Know your nitrogen fixers.
      5. As Emilia mentioned: Innoculate your soils. If
      you are using seedballs, or even if you aren't,
      innoculate them from mature healthy forest soils, of
      varying types, and moisture levels.
      6. How does your garden grow... Diversity / habitat /
      diversity / Habitat / ad infinitum.
      7. Highly recommended reading... Seeing the Forest
      Among the Trees; the case for wholistic forest
      management by Herb Hammond. It should be available
      through interlibrary loan, as it is available in the
      library in Terrace B.C..
      good luck----roberto

      Do You Yahoo!?