Re: wild vegetable cultivation

  • rajutitus lal
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2005
      Dear friend,
      Namaskar, sorry deley in reply,my computer was sick.
      Congrasulation for starting natural way of farming.you are not tilling,not using any fertelizer and chemicals.As per our experiance we are trying to advice your quaries-
      1- you are already started this is youer third year in natural way of farming.
      2-No need to think about desease control, in the natural way of farming we are not killing any pest,insects.mathod it self control pests and insectes.
      3-Grasses and weeds are showing richness of soil if tou wil see any place without grasses and weeds it is nessasory to scatter seeds.
      4-Timings of growing vegitable is as per of youer area as others farmers doing.
      5-Correct natural way of farming is without irrigation, for this it is nessasory to make our land water rich.For quick richness we are making channels of woods and coarsed organic material to make these we are digging 2 feet wide and one feet deep or one feet wide two feet deep channel and fill these channel with woods and coarsed organic material of our land.This will improve water absorption,water holding, and will supply fertelizer and water reguler to the crops.Water is not only comming from sky but is also comming from under ground in the form of vapours.After covering properly these channels it is nassesory to cover ground with leguminus green vegitation.this greenery keep land cool and convert water vapours in to moistuer.
      6-Regardind time table for vegitables try to grow perinials deep rooted.
      If you will feel any problem ask us to demonstrate by images through photo sharing.
      Shalini and RajuTitus.
      srinivasa prakash raja <srinivasaprakash@...> wrote:
      Dear mr.Raju titus,
      I am very happy to talk with you today over phone so
      as you said i am having lot of doubts about natural
      farming.
      1.How to start vegetable cultivation from intial stage
      through natural farming?
      2.This time i have sown different types of vegetable
      seeds in our farm and the pest is attacking what to do
      and how to control it with out killing pests?
      3.A lot of weeds and grasses grown all over the farm
      what to do?t vater
      4.Please give me the timing of vegetable seeds
      sowings?
      5.I want to grow vegetable crops with out using water
      please advice?
      6.I am not weeding, not using using fertiliser,not
      using pesticides,not tilling for the past 3 years,so
      how to grow vegetable crops?
      7.Our soil is black cotton soil,so please give me a
      vegetable growing timing chart for a full year?

      Please go through the above points and expecting your
      positive reply,In deed it will be very much helpful to
      us if you answer us all the doubts,I am trying to do
      farming without using water for the future,since water
      will be scarcely available in the future,so that we
      can save INDIA from danger.

      Thank you,
      Regards,
      Srinivasa prakash.

    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
        Hello Shalini and Rajutitus, thank you very much for the explaining so
        simply natural farming. I would just like to add, if I may, some more detail
        on point 5. I believe that non-irrigation is an essential aspect of Natural
        Farming. I have grown good vegetables here through a Mediterranean summer on
        poor soil with no irrigation, just using large amounts of mulch (see
        post#1147, 1158 and 1175), but I have also had to resort to watering some
        plants as early as March in 2003! As you say, the best method is the burying
        of large amounts of organic matter and the sowing of many, different plants
        to immediately and in the longer term (i.e. trees and bushes) to make the
        most of the moist conditions this creates in the soil. I believe that here
        in the Mediterranean (and perhaps in your area of India) tree cover is the
        essential first step to providing the environment for the creation of an
        agriculture that can ride out droughts (as here in 2003).

        Of course, another vital aspect is the seedballing of an immense and diverse
        range of plants that allows nature to choose the right plant to grow and
        therefore the necessity of our acceptance of whatever nature chooses to
        provide for our food. Although a large amount of research work can perhaps
        lead to a smaller selection of seeds, each appearing suitable for the
        circumstances, this can sometimes come amiss if the weather should be
        atypical. Indeed, where rainfall varies between 300-1000mm here and can fall
        in both/either/neither in Spring or in Autumn; where winters can be from an
        annual minimum of -2C to -10C and where the last frost day can be in
        February or all the way through to early May.

        But as Kostas has reminded us, even Panos, at his established Natural Farm
        in Greece, sometimes needs to irrigate. Perhaps at 10,000 hectares there
        would be enough vegetation to help bring more rain, but generally, and for
        each of us, the only security we might have to avoid the devastation of a
        really bad drought, is the seeding of every farm and the hills, ridges and
        mountains above these farms with trees. Ultimately, there is no single
        solution, although each of us can do their part, but eventually we will all
        need the change of perspective that comes with the revelation of not only
        our human interdependence, but the interdependence of all.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

[...]

        Organic gardening
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening&w1=Organic+gardening&
        w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organ
        ic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=owtJthOIVo
        li-5SH05M9eQ>
        Organic farming
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+farming&w1=Organic+gardening&w2
        =Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic
        +gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=VZAXnmjm4dw7
        z1twBbSL5w>
        Farming organic
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Farming+organic&w1=Organic+gardening&w2
        =Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic
        +gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=QtWJKqSNUvoI
        hRx0wIPvXQ>
        Organic gardening magazine
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+magazine&w1=Organic+g
        ardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine
        &w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=D
        Ul2YpeHxS8nfzrjYn%20>
        Organic gardening supply
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+supply&w1=Organic+gar
        dening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w
        5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=pif
        cDlOFE1n7mJyCsJGU%20>
        Organic vegetable gardening
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+vegetable+gardening&w1=Organic+
        gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazin
        e&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=
        b5_BUUEAMpBvm9oqG%20>

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group " fukuoka_farming
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming> " on the web.

        _____

      • rajutitus lal
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2005
          Dear friend,
          Thank you very much for nice comments.In India above 50% of people living on agriculture. They are facing lots of problems due to drought, floods,failure of the crops etc. Thousands of farmers commited sucide.Desertification increases day by day.In the demand of food, pressure on jungles,grazinglands, parks,gardens is increasing.We realised that draughts, floods,and desertification is mainly due to agricultuer based on tillage.Therefore donothing process is the only solution. We agree that we are in urgent need of jungles to stop desertification and to save our self.But under this pressure it seems to be not possible.Therefore it is nessasory to adopt agriculture which convert desert in to green.Natural farms based on donothing are working as rain forest.In the process of donothing we get lots of organic material in the form of straws,leafs,tiny branches,logs, and coarsed fine organic material.There is no problem in decompsing ofstraws,leafs,and tiny branches on the top
          of the soil.But we can not keep logs and fine coarsed organic material on the top of the soil therefore we are burrieng these deep in to the soil.No dought it takes little longer time to decompse but is solve so many problems 1-No fire hazard 2-It absorbed sufficient rain water3 -It provids reguler nutrients and water to the crops.3-These tranches works as a good home for so many insects and small animals as snakes,rats, mangoose etc.This is not areguler work to do only one time or when ever we are need.Actually in the process of donothing taking from out side and removing from our fields creating weakness both sides..We are simply leaving all the agricultural waste as it is.It is not only, fulfil the demnd of fertelizer but also control weeds & deseases and provide suitable ecology for biodiversity of the top soil.THanks- Shalini and Raju Titus.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
            Dear friend,
            Natural farming is full new experiances, each & every vegitation having capacity to change acording to ecology . Therefore our suggetion is to learning by doing is the best way.You are not disturving us but encouraging.Do not forget the importence of ground cover crop.Accasia is most suitable ground cover crop is available in India known as Subabul.It is deep rooted,provide nitogen moistuer, protect crops from deaseases, control weeds and also provide so many advantages.Thanks.
            Shalini and Raju Titus

            srinivasa prakash raja <srinivasaprakash@...> wrote:
            Dear Raju Titus and Shalini,
            Thank you very much for the nice advice for growing
            deep rooted perennial plants,as you suggested we are
            thinking of growing vegetables perennialy.Already we
            planted moringa,agathi,toor (pigeon peas) as perennial
            crops in between coconut samplings.so as per natural
            farming we want to grow annual crops as perennial
            crops,That is egg plant(baingkan),banana,okra(ladys
            finger),chayote,beans,chilli,garlic,ginger,sugarcane,yams
            as perennial crops.Since farmers are growing these
            crops annualy,we want to do in a different
            manner,please advice to grow these annual crops
            perennialy through natural farming.

            Sorry for the disturbance caused in this
            regard,expecting your positive reply,I have read in a
            document that egg plant is a perennial crop, so a
            doubt occur in my mind why cant we grow perennialy
            eggplant.
            Thanking you,
            Best regards,
            Rajagopalan.s.p.